The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

Quote from: jibberish on September 27, 2014, 05:06:26 AM
was nuking some coffee and stretching wondering if everyone else is going to somehow fit something like that into their routine.
I have a nice big 12oz cup so it takes 2 minutes in the little nuker. amazing what can be done in the 2 minutes I normally would have stared out the window at the thermometer or something
the pot turns off after an hour or 2 so the coffee doesn't burn up ,so it is always cold, but cold coffee may save my life because I can knock a set of something out every round. and I drink a lot of coffee(lo caf for sure or I would fry)

After shit started to go down in Thailand, and my gym closed due to a shooting death (true story) I was getting stir crazy from lack of exercise. Since my kitchen consisted of a microwave in the apartment lobby, I did calf raises along with the countdown on the timer. 90 seconds is a motherfucker, multiplied by a few times a day for a couple months. And people say it's hard to make your calves grow...

Omlet

Probably I found a bass player for stoner doom. Now I'm stressed that I'll fuck it up with my terrible guitar skills :D

jibberish

so 1:30 nuking the coffee is enough to knock out 25ish windmills. you feel your whole lower back glowing
to really wake up, I knock out a set of assisted deep knee bends. the assisted part is pulling up on the countertop so I don't blow my knees out at the very bottom. one knee sounds like crunching up a baggie every rep as it is...ooooh. fuck it.  I did 27 in 1:45.  that's a rush.

have been adding one every week since I started a couple months ago. I started at 18.
I actually can tell a difference in overall leg power..i am digging the sensation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so the pharaoh is really nice for turning the gain down on that little greta 12au7 amp. it also tightens up the distortion if that makes sense.  alone greta is like a big loose floppybox distortion box. the pharaoh puts it back to a smaller tighter muff buzz.
[picture of davatx cuntrock goes here]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found out I have that disease where a kid ages too fast.

jibberish

I can give terrible guitar lessons. i'll teach you to do everything wrong.
maybe you can even unlearn a few things. come on, give it a try.

I have been a shredder cup finalist 4 years running. so I have cred.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: Omlet on September 29, 2014, 03:11:10 PM
Probably I found a bass player for stoner doom. Now I'm stressed that I'll fuck it up with my terrible guitar skills :D

If I can do it so can you dude...I'm not much of a guitarist, and I've done alright for myself.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on October 01, 2014, 04:46:14 AM
I can give terrible guitar lessons. i'll teach you to do everything wrong.
maybe you can even unlearn a few things. come on, give it a try.

Every so often someone I know wants me to give them, their friend, their kid, etc guitar lessons. I try to explain to them that I don't know how to play real chords and only truly know one scale and that I just play simple heavy metal but they don't want to hear it.

jibberish

haha. ya, how to hold the thing wrong, bogus hand positions, total slop picking and zero definition...there is only ONE solution:
more distortion and turn it up louder. BUT I charge less to fuck you up, so I represent value. I also teach the Kawasaki dick finger method and secret stringbusting hacks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that GC 15% discount card would be sweet, except the list of exclusions on back looks the same as the entire NAMM exhibitors list.
So, no Taylor, Roland, fender, orange, novation, arturia, shure, moog discounts, which is what I would have been looking at, so fuck that noise.

back to the used departments
those little volca korg synths are showing up by the ton for <$100 a pop now. old style minibrute price is tanking. new=$400. used ones are into the high 2's. used microbrutes <$200, yeah here we go.

everdrone

Every so often someone I know wants me to give them, their friend, their kid, etc guitar lessons. I try to explain to them that I don't know how to play real chords and only truly know one scale and that I just play simple heavy metal but they don't want to hear it.
[/quote]

ya there is a big difference between a GIT tech guitar school teacher or jazz/classical guitar and teh uber heavy metalz

Dylan Thomas

I've given some people lessons, though I choose to only work with people who have a really, really good ear.  I figure I can teach those people how to eventually figure things out for themselves.  Never have charged, always just did it for free.

Psyched to do some soundtrack work for a documentary.  Had talked about it with a guy for awhile, and today he told me he's going to send me some footage he needs music over.  Should be cool...

mortlock

so the dude in a band we just played with in buffalo sends me a text today [they are based out of ohio]. apparently he had a visit from the local police and the officer had a copy of the flyer and asked if he knew who was passing them out. of course he said he didnt [wink wink] but it appears someone got their hands on one and was so offended they went to the police. now that show in question, did feature bands with offensive names [unholy semen, penis geyser] and i am well aware that ohio is a completely fucked up state on religion, but are the cops seriously that fucking bored..i will consider my band officially banned from ohio now. cant take any chances..

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: mortlock on October 01, 2014, 07:35:24 PM
so the dude in a band we just played with in buffalo sends me a text today [they are based out of ohio]. apparently he had a visit from the local police and the officer had a copy of the flyer and asked if he knew who was passing them out. of course he said he didnt [wink wink] but it appears someone got their hands on one and was so offended they went to the police. now that show in question, did feature bands with offensive names [unholy semen, penis geyser] and i am well aware that ohio is a completely fucked up state on religion, but are the cops seriously that fucking bored..i will consider my band officially banned from ohio now. cant take any chances..

Mission accomplished?  Isn't the point of having an offensive name to offend those who are easily offended?

mortlock

true, but id like to stop just short of police contact..me and cops dont mix well..

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: mortlock on October 01, 2014, 07:40:16 PM
true, but id like to stop just short of police contact..me and cops dont mix well..

Yeah, makes sense.

An old garage punk band I was playing in, The Neon Tits, got banned from our hometown for a flyer.  The singer was really, really good at being offensive.  We had songs like "God Hates You Because You're Gay", "Fuck Canada", "The Jews Have Ruined My Pecker", and we were working on a new one called "It Was A Dark Day In Blacksburg And I've Got The Yellow Fever".  It was the week after the Virginia Tech killings, that was what the song was about.  It went beyond our general level of offensiveness, I think the opening lines were something like "Me Chinese, me play joke, shoot up school and make guns smoke."  We were already banned from a lot of venues for various shenanigans, like damaging the venue, or just playing The Ronettes "Be My Baby" over and over again, or just chanting "U. S. A.!!! U. S. A.!!!" over and over again while running around the stage wearing American flags instead of playing any songs, the usual kinda stuff.

I had a copy of Newsweek that had a picture of the VaTech killer on the cover, with all of his victims in the background.  The singer asked if he could borrow it.  Next thing you know, he'd made a flyer out of that and posted it everywhere about an upcoming show, and we were banned from playing the venue on the flyer.  The owner was PISSED.  We did one more show at a restaurant, as every other music venue in town followed suit and banned us.  The band kinda fell apart after, which wasn't surprising, as it was designed to be a trainwreck to begin with.

RAGER

Sounds way too contrived.  Better when it just happens on its own.
No Focus Pocus

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: RAGER on October 01, 2014, 08:00:17 PM
Sounds way too contrived.  Better when it just happens on its own.

Oh yeah, totally contrived.  I was just "filling in" on bass, so I wasn't too invested in the band.  It wasn't really my thing, but it was a lot of fucking fun.

Jake

Does anyone know why people hide/mask/blur the serial numbers on their guitars (usually Gibsons) when they're selling them? I can't think of much that someone could do with that info, besides very accurately date the instrument.
poop.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

everdrone

maybe not the seller but somewhere along the lines the instrument with the blurred serial numbers was stolen

mortlock

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on October 01, 2014, 07:51:03 PM

Yeah, makes sense.

An old garage punk band I was playing in, The Neon Tits, got banned from our hometown for a flyer.  The singer was really, really good at being offensive.  We had songs like "God Hates You Because You're Gay", "Fuck Canada", "The Jews Have Ruined My Pecker", and we were working on a new one called "It Was A Dark Day In Blacksburg And I've Got The Yellow Fever".  It was the week after the Virginia Tech killings, that was what the song was about.  It went beyond our general level of offensiveness, I think the opening lines were something like "Me Chinese, me play joke, shoot up school and make guns smoke."  We were already banned from a lot of venues for various shenanigans, like damaging the venue, or just playing The Ronettes "Be My Baby" over and over again, or just chanting "U. S. A.!!! U. S. A.!!!" over and over again while running around the stage wearing American flags instead of playing any songs, the usual kinda stuff.

I had a copy of Newsweek that had a picture of the VaTech killer on the cover, with all of his victims in the background.  The singer asked if he could borrow it.  Next thing you know, he'd made a flyer out of that and posted it everywhere about an upcoming show, and we were banned from playing the venue on the flyer.  The owner was PISSED.  We did one more show at a restaurant, as every other music venue in town followed suit and banned us.  The band kinda fell apart after, which wasn't surprising, as it was designed to be a trainwreck to begin with.

im pretty sure I would have loved that band.. haha. im thinking UxSx needs to cover "It Was A Dark Day In Blacksburg And I've Got The Yellow Fever".  you got any recording so I can learn that one??

Danny G

I would love to do movie soundtrack work. My own instrumental music is pretty much music for movies that don't yet exist.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

soundtracks would be fun I bet.  i'll sign up for the redo of "the naked lunch"

dinger, it probably was wise of fate not to have me involved with that crazy-fun rebellious band in any way.
we would probably all just be getting out on parole about now.

maybe if I work at it, I can get kicked out of ohio.

Taste Ebola Dicks  wants on the next bill
..it will go viral....
our groupies are called Teddies.

dogfood

Watching The Royal Pines right now. Bass dude is playing a p bass through a big honk in' peavy solid state rig with some od.  His sound is killer.
Problem solving whiskey!

liquidsmoke

I like my p but wish it also had the j pup. Actually I wish it had the j neck and wasn't a p but also had the p pup.

mortlock

giantchris

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on October 01, 2014, 07:51:03 PM

Yeah, makes sense.

That band sounded fucking great live I'd love to see something like that.  Theres this oddball venue in Chicago called The Mutiny that is always no cover that has some crazy bands sometimes because literally anyone can play there and I saw a band called Harry and the Homos and a bunch of middle aged dudes came out in S&M gimp outfits and "Harry" was an immensely fat 40 year old dude wearing just a gimp mask and thong and they just did crazy abrasive hardcore.  It was actually hugely entertaining.