The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Y

Oh, is it for guitar? Don't do it then. Bass speakers won't make guitars sound deeper, they're not voiced the same. Basses put out lower notes, so they just don't cut the low end the strings or producing. They won't create anymore low end where it doesn't exist. The stuff I was discussing, I'm assuming it's a bass specific driver vs general/PA full range drivers for bass cab use.

I've gone through the whole "can I use bass speakers/cabs/heads/effects for guitar?" thing a hundred times with other people and tried every version of that myself. Sometimes they're generic enough to use, but nothing makes a guitar sound deeper because it's meant for bass. Kind of like putting giant guitars on a jeep won't make it drive like a monster truck.

if it's for an actual bass/amp, apply as directed.

Jake

That's the part I meant about ignoring advice. That's been discussed here ad infinitum. I really don't want to seem like I'm finger wagging, so that's the last I'll say on the subject.

Carry on.
poop.

RacerX

Quote from: Lumpy on May 27, 2014, 05:41:02 PM
Quote from: RacerX on May 27, 2014, 05:26:57 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on May 27, 2014, 05:17:10 PM
He doesn't need a stand-alone bass cab, he wants another cab to supplement his guitar cabs. So maybe PA type speakers would be fine. It's hard to say for sure.

Jeez, don't you get started on this shit, too.

He needs fucking guitar speakers.  ::)

If I said the sky was blue, you'd wanna argue about that too.  ::)

Well, it's not really blue...
Livin' The Life.

Metal and Beer

I like Liquid, dude's cool, we've shot the shit over beers, his band's pretty darn good (DoooM !) but I too get weary reading the incessant questions when in my opinion he doesn't require anything more than what he had before (Matamp, then a Laney AOR) and a couple 4x12's with differently-voiced speaker array (mix V30's with What-Nots ;)

Can he ask a zillion questions though? Fuckin' A right he can, it's the damn Jam Room. Seek ye tone as you shall sir !

/both sides o' the coin
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

liquidsmoke

Wow.

I'm looking into bass gear for my F# baritone for a new band idea, not for Orogen. Split signal- 'guitar' side, 'bass' side. Orogen started this way but I never had a loud bass side.

I'm simply curious as to the differences between speakers marketed as 'bass guitar' speakers and the full range drivers that are sometimes used in bass cabs. I'm not fretting about this whatsoever, I'm not agonizing over a decision. Also, I have no interest in subs. I should have used the term 'full range drivers' right away but I made the mistake of calling them PA speakers.

If anyone wants to argue that an F# baritone player wouldn't have a use for bass equipment in a 2 piece we can go there but I'm going to disagree. Got a low end used 4x10 for $150 last week and although it's nowhere near the volume of my guitar 'side' rig it's a good start before I invest in something louder. Very little of this is a mystery to me at this point. Low end volume requires enough speakers and enough power and if the cabs are properly designed that is a big help. I have a power amp that will do 800 watts 8 ohms bridged or 400x2 at 4 ohms per channel. This unit will probably do the job with the right cab or cabs.

Thank you M&B and thank you Corey for the details.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on May 27, 2014, 05:44:27 PM
Maybe he just needs to refocus:

I am selling my Randall V2 Archetype

Sounds like it might be one of the rare times a company didn't skimp on the tube preamp for a hybrid head but that's a lot of money and I'm good with the pedal into Dual Showman deal.

liquidsmoke

Blog time.
Talking shit repeatedly about a bandmate on an internet forum your bandmate is aware of is pretty fucking stupid.

VOLVO)))

"my guitarist drives a Pontiac vibe, whata fag"   :-D :-D :-D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jor el

Quote from: Jake on May 27, 2014, 02:37:38 PM

It's not about wasting people's time as much as it is ignoring all the seasoned advice.

There is a Lawry's vs McCormick* joke in there somewhere, but it's too early in the morning.

Spice Rack Mount....yadda yadda yadda

*mr know-it-all should be around shortly
What Would Scooby Do ?

RacerX

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 29, 2014, 07:34:10 AM
"my guitarist drives a Pontiac vibe, whata fag"   :-D :-D :-D

"...and he runs a Fender Super Twin into four tiny, pink 1x8" extension cabinets loaded with neos..."
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

This is my new girlfriend.

I have to fix it. Waahhhh.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Quote from: RAGER on May 29, 2014, 10:32:43 AM
Right on cue.

You're quite welcome!

You were late, so I stood in for ya.
Livin' The Life.

Corey Y

I finally got a drummer locked down for a new band, plus got a practice space (hourly rehearsal, it'll do) and set a regular practice schedule. On to trying out guitarists now, hopefully one of the few I'm already talking to pans out. I'm in a new frame of mind for doing bands, seems to be paying off.

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 29, 2014, 11:15:35 AM

This is my new girlfriend.

I have to fix it. Waahhhh.

Ooooh, neato. What's wrong with it?

VOLVO)))

Dunno.

Shouldn't be hard to figure. Im gonna say tubes.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

VOLVO)))

I think i get it for a little while before it goes home, I'll cherish my time and make a video... And gunshots.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

Dear Client,

Amp burned up in freak lightning strike. Act of God, no refunds. Do not come looking for remains.

Signed,

Jake (the guy who does not have your amp, stop asking)

Jake

I remember hearing about those Blue amps that were commissioned for Blue Man Group. They all died within something like a month of delivery.
poop.

Pissy

I thought the BMG had matamps. Not these true American wonders of sound. Modeled after a visionary's dream.

buttpussy
Vinyls.   deal.

RacerX

Quote from: Jake on May 29, 2014, 12:31:05 PM
I remember hearing about those Blue amps that were commissioned for Blue Man Group. They all died within something like a month of delivery.

They had weak trannies, I believe.

No pun intended.
Livin' The Life.

Pissy

Weak Xfmrs was a Matamp trait.  Lordfinesse went through the whole ordeal, only to replace it with a Mercury Magnetics. After that, the things been solid. Pretty sure the EA's already are/were equipped with MMs.
Vinyls.   deal.

Metal and Beer

The Blew Man Groop amp saga was a pretty good chapter in the Joel Buttpussy Battle Book.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

It's powder blue not blew man group blue.

Sure does look good.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 29, 2014, 11:50:19 AM
Dunno.

Shouldn't be hard to figure. Im gonna say tubes.

Maybe it BLUE a fuse.