The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Way ahead of you dudes. My other vagina can fit even more gear.

VOLVO)))

I should mention i drove that P-vibe. Cool car.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Very utilitarian if nothing else. Not the type of car dudes should get if they are concerned about women judging them by their 'ride'. The notion is delicious to me. Stay away toxic bitches.

RacerX

But if you've already scared all the women of that type off with the car, why bother with the tiny, gay cabinet setup?

It's just plain redundant.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

"tiny, gay cabinet setup" :-D:-D :-D :-D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Metal and Beer

Aside from arena-with-no-PA situations, why would a guitarist need more than 100 watts? Christ ! Dinglesnap from Leechmilk (whatever his new band's called) uses two 50-watt heads and he's loud enough to drive me outside (and I'm no volume virgin)

Get off my lawn, etc
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

liquidsmoke

I'm trading in for a Subaru. Even more space for gay cabs and even better at repelling muddin' chicks.

200 watts = moar power for a less neutered full volume tone. This is a stoner rock website still, no?

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 09, 2014, 02:26:38 PM
200 watts = moar power for a less neutered full volume tone. This is a stoner rock website still, no?

Yes, but most of us stonerrockers like power tube saturation, not clean headroom, so we hope you'll pardon our continually poking fun at your attempts to get it.
Livin' The Life.

Metal and Beer

^ Yup, that, and you were asking about EIGHT HUNDRED WATT power units recently !
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

Shit, im finna be using a Peavey Ultra+ and a heritage VTX...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Metal and Beer on May 09, 2014, 02:55:31 PM
^ Yup, that, and you were asking about EIGHT HUNDRED WATT power units recently !

I have one although I've only ran it at 400 so far.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on May 09, 2014, 02:30:03 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 09, 2014, 02:26:38 PM

Yes, but most of us stonerrockers like power tube saturation, not clean headroom, so we hope you'll pardon our continually poking fun at your attempts to get it.

The Dual Showman is treating me right on headroom, just adding the Carvin to see how more power per speaker sounds.

My interest in tube guitar heads for bass is partly out of curiosity but also because I want to put together a bass rig. Tube saturation would be nice for that application.

everdrone

you could always go big rig for the BIG DOOMZ GIG EVERY TWO MONTHZ, and then small rig for jams around town:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/micromister/OrangeAndBlackCabs1_zpsf047b3c0.jpg

liquidsmoke

Whatever works. I like to keep my volume consistent for practice, little gigs, and little gigs.  ;D

It's always big doomz jams.

eyeprod

I run my v4 into an 8x10 for bass. Never have had to turn it louder than half way up. It rattled thefl oorat  the last house show we played. I'm using an overdrive ped al anda fuzz. Ple nty loud for the gigs we play. I've got no need to beany loud er than it will go.
CV - Slender Fungus

Jake

I think you may have also rattled your space bar into noncompliance.
poop.

VOLVO)))

I got a cream classicvibe p90 tele for 50$ today. Soon to be scalloped and single pickuped...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

heh, it's this swiftkey app on my phone. adds spaces where and when it feels like yet saves a lot of typing
CV - Slender Fungus

everdrone

Quote from: Lumpy on May 05, 2014, 09:33:51 PM
Quote from: Jake on May 05, 2014, 08:10:20 PM
There used to be a pic floating around that was a rig of something like four Bandits wide by three tall – all daisy chained. I cannot find.

I think this might be an EQ issue at it's root. 100 watt guitar amp should be unbelievably loud. 100 watt bass amp, not so much. So if there was more midrange/less bass in his signal it might seem a lot louder. IMO, let the bass player handle those frequencies, but that's not my scene (so, it's easy for me to say...) One problem guitar players can have is 'more is better'. If a distortion is good, then more is better. If a bassy signal is good, then more is better. Not really true. Also, a 4x12 cabinet might be more satisfying than two 2x12s because of the benefit of a larger cabinet. Not certain of that, since speakers take up room, but usually, bigger box = more bass.

/dunno

I dig.  I agree too, I mean in the sense that when I am mixing a song, I have to carve a lot of low end out of the guitars, and the guitar tracks by themselves  end up being thin,

to make room for the bass guitar in the mix.  then it all sounds HUGE!

also, heavy bands like Red Fang are using only a single 412 for each guitarist, a 410 for the bassist, and solid state heads and have an awesome heavy tone. 

dogfood

Quote from: everdrone on May 09, 2014, 11:49:51 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on May 05, 2014, 09:33:51 PM
Quote from: Jake on May 05, 2014, 08:10:20 PM
There used to be a pic floating around that was a rig of something like four Bandits wide by three tall – all daisy chained. I cannot find.

/dunno
[/I have to carve a lot of low end out of the guitars, and the guitar tracks by themselves  end up being thin,

to make room for the bass guitar in the mix.  then it all sounds HUGE!

This.  Modern amp tone was formed by a bunch of 17 yo dudes wanking off by themselves in a bedroom without the context of a "band". 

Problem solving whiskey!

MichaelZodiac

So, the synth girl left after 2 hours because we're too loud and she didn't bring earplugs. She hasn't played in "loud" bands before so it's understandable but it still made us laugh.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

Was she constantly asking you guys to turn down?
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

Has she ever played in a band with a drummer?

everdrone

Yes!  Modern amp tone formation :) I do think its cool and all, but for many folks not practical in the mix or for frequently moving 100 pound cabs solo

...in any case its good to have a spare set of new earplugs in case a friend wants to listen in or someone forgets em