The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Corey Y on January 21, 2014, 01:26:30 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 21, 2014, 01:25:09 PM
UPS just showed up with my Carvin. The box is cold, going to wait as long as I can before opening it and cranked it up.

What did you get from Carvin?

XV-112 off ebay. Basically a top mounted X100B.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARVIN-XV-112-ALL-TUBE-AMP-SAME-AS-CARVIN-X100B-/261369010370?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Omlet

Recording vocals with $1 mic and laptop's internal soundcard sucks alot. Also, I suck at mixing tracks up, so probably it wouldn't be very awesome. Luckily after eq-ing mic's own hiss is easily dominated with tone of the guitar. And as I don't want super-clear and pro effect, I'm still rather satisfied with the results.

Corey Y

Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 21, 2014, 01:30:08 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARVIN-XV-112-ALL-TUBE-AMP-SAME-AS-CARVIN-X100B-/261369010370?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Nice, my X100B has become my go to amp since I bought it a few years ago. I assume that was a combo that someone chopped and converted into a head.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Corey Y on January 21, 2014, 01:38:37 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 21, 2014, 01:30:08 PM

Nice, my X100B has become my go to amp since I bought it a few years ago. I assume that was a combo that someone chopped and converted into a head.

It looks 100% stock in the photos. I think it was just a limited head version. I'll get a closer look in a few hours.

JemDooM

Quote from: mortlock on January 21, 2014, 01:06:36 PM
Quote from: JemDooM on January 21, 2014, 06:15:35 AM
That's a great story Lumpy :)

The people who I see burn out/lose it/allow music to make them miserable, are always people who started to want more out of it than just their own personal satisfaction, I cant believe the number of people I've seen go through this, I cant imagine that's you tho mort! Whats up?
im good, probably more of a mild midlife moment. im not willing to accept how sore I am the next day after an intense 2 hour practice session..haha. fuck it, if lemmy can still do it, so can I. ftw!!

thanks for the props lumpy. youre a gentleman and a scholar..

Hah! Maybe you need to chill down your intensive 2 hour sessions! Hell knows what you must do! ;)

DooM!

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on January 20, 2014, 08:03:29 PM
any of you guys ever get discouraged and ask yourself why the fuck you dedicated your life to music and being in bands?? 

I get discouraged all the time but this ain't the reason.  I get discouraged with my lack of follow through and knowledge of recording.  I can play just all the instruments I want to record.  I just need to focus on learning how.  I've always been a player and less of an engineer.  Actually playing music is something I have no choice about.  It's just what I do and being in a band isn't always the way it goes, like right now I haven;t been in a band in 2 years but I'm starting to feel the itch.  But music has always been a constant with me from my first band in 85 and will remain so until I'm dead.  But my main source of discouragement is the lack of recorded output.  I hear all you other guys posting tunes and dammit I wanna play too. >:(

On a side note, I ran into Rob Wrong the other day and he wants me to come over and show me his demo recording set up so maybe I'll glean some info and get a little motivation.
No Focus Pocus

BrianDamage

If so please share.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Danny G

Quote from: JemDooM on January 21, 2014, 07:03:59 AM
thinking on that, I was so busy thinking of those other people and their reasons, when I think of myself, there are plenty reasons for why iv been discouraged, thinking I was shit for the first few years of playing was discouraging, I used to dread going down to the practise rooms because I didn't want anyone to hear, trying out 4-5 drummers over months and none of them working out, the fact I harass myself all the time for not being as good as I want to be can be discouraging, driving 2 and a half hours to practise only for the drummer not to show up because he was sleeping and having to drive 2 and half hours home was discouraging, being boo'd and told to fuck off while playing live was discouraging. Yeah it can be pretty discouraging. But none of that was as discouraging as the time I was depressed because I wasn't making music, had no band, no-one seemed to want to do anything with me, that was much worse, like the other guys say its just something we want to do, so not doing it doesn't really work, sometimes you just have to push through the hard times...

Indeed Jem.

It's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you get back up
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

The tolex on the Carvin is a little sloppy in a few spots but it still looks like a factory produced head. Overall it's in very good/clean condition aside from the missing back piece. I'll put something on there to protect the tubes.

VERY loud amp. Holy balls. Maybe kind of like a Mesa Mark series trying to be a JCM800 or Marshall doing a Mark type amp but maybe not as quality sounding. Still a good amp though, completely worth $300 especially with new tubes even without a footswitch. I suspect it might be biased a bit cold. The lead channel with the distortion knob on 10 and the hot rod button pulled out goes to 11 kind of volume. Insane. Even on 2 it's loud. The clean channel sounds good and makes my distortion pedal sound more 3 dimensional and brutal. Speaker destroying low end is on tap with the bass knob and especially with the 5 band EQ. I'm sure this thing could work as a bass amp up to moderate volumes and probably even louder if you want power amp overdrive. I will try the 25 and 50 watt settings soon. A resonance knob would be nice but you usually can't have every feature in one amp. By early/mid-80s standards this unit is pretty loaded.

It has more headroom than I was expecting so I'll use it at our next band practice and see how it does. If I decide to only use the preamp I'll set the power amp at 25 watts and plug that into a cheap 1x12 and point it away or something. Might try running side by side the full head into a cab and it's preamp signal into a SS power amp into another cab and see at what volume level the tube unit really starts to develop excessive comparative looseness/breakup and listen for overall comparative blandness of the SS unit.

mutantcolors

You can generate cabinet-exploding volume with one head with a preamp out to a slave power unit and speakers for each one. Disgusting volume. It rules.

Set it to 25 watts and dime it. Let the slave do the volume.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mutantcolors on January 22, 2014, 03:59:19 AM
You can generate cabinet-exploding volume with one head with a preamp out to a slave power unit and speakers for each one. Disgusting volume. It rules.

Set it to 25 watts and dime it. Let the slave do the volume.

I was thinking 25 watts(to save energy) to a small cab that was pointed away from the band/audience just so the amp isn't damaged while the 350 watt SS power amp section of my bass head does the heavy lifting in a much tighter manner but I could also just run the Carvin head into one regular cab and slave it to the bass head and run that into the other regular cab and set the volume so that the bass head would make up for the lack of volume from the Carvin. I'll stop boring everyone with this stuff and just experiment.. as soon as the night is over and I can be loud. I'll do some sleeping first.

liquidsmoke

Anyone know if these are crap? The price is way less than most 26.5-27" scale baritone 6 and 7 strings I've seen online. Should be good down to at least F#, maybe even E.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4514.html

I'm not sure if they ever made a 6 string version of this in 27". They did make them with a Floyd type trem.

MichaelZodiac

Speaking about motivation, I don't think I ever had more motivation than now. Our synths player went to Thailand in December and the drummer and me just kept on rehearsing, getting a really tight rhythm section. Now the synths are back with us and all of a sudden we have not 1 but 3 maybe 4 jams of about 7 minutes. So in the next few weeks we're gonna iron those out and record them after so we can put out a cassette and get to playing shows. After 2 years of wrangling/not doing much in a band with my best friends, this is so much more relaxed AND focused.
We're thinking of adding maybe a guitar player but he or she can't mind playing the same thing for 4 minutes.

Oh, I think our bandname is Pleasure Penthouse. Or at least something along those lines.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

If it isn't they'll say it should have been.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 22, 2014, 01:22:09 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on January 22, 2014, 07:50:27 AM
Should be good.

The Douglas?

Yep. Leave all seven strings on. Tune the high strings together slightly out of tune for spooky leads.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Depending upon whether I decide to go with a hollow, semi-hollow, or solid body guitar, this might be my next electric guitar:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EmpireMR?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CPivwa3FkrwCFaZAMgodogMAYw

Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Or you could do Low E, AADGBE like FloorTorche/Florche does?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Or you could add a few extra "e"s or "E"s to the Ostrich tuning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrich_guitar
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

F# or low E standard, mega sonic destruction and you can still drone or do whatever other types of gimmicky stuff with the low string, not that tuning that low isn't a gimmick in itself. No string in the lowest position to help my hand and wrist out with a 7 string. I'd rather get a 6er but am having a hard time finding one under 200 with a 'normal'(Gibson, etc) bridge. Not that guitars that cheap are usually a good idea. These are interesting though-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161205196915&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

The Mehringer Super Fuzz sounds not at all meh into my new Carvin. In fact it sounds awesome. Baritone no bass Fanatics/Dopethrone type project in the go ahead stage.

VOLVO)))

Those Ibanez guitars are shitpiles...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

My next guitar is gonna be an SBG dammit since I've half assed attempted to buy 2 from this here jam room to no avail.
No Focus Pocus