Main Menu

Worst music gear forum

Started by Instant Dan, February 07, 2011, 02:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

The gear page and harmony central are neck and neck for me. The telecaster forum is not far behind

Discö Rice

It's not fun to navigate, due in large part to it's size. I don't go there unless I can't find info anywhere else.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

justinhedrick

i don't like the gear page because it all snobs who love their $3000 boutique amp that is made to sound like a $500 blackface bassman head . . .

black_out

I don't fuck around with the Harmony Central forum, but the classifieds are awesome. I've bought a tone of gear off of there over the years, all at reasonable prices. The regulars can be assholes, but they're the first to call people on their bullshit if they're trying to charge too much for something. I scored my GH100L off of Harmony Central for $450 shipped. Not a bad deal at all.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

clockwork green

I like the gear page...I can't say that I'm a particular fan of anybody on there.  I don't find them that snobby so maybe I'm just as snobby as they are although I'd like to think I see gear as a tool and it's not something I judge a musician by although the next time I see someone with a Line 6 amp that sounds good on stage will be my first.  I was a member of harmony-central from near the beginning I had nearly 20,000 posts at one point then they all got deleted somehow...it's all horrible now.  The amp room is full of suburban bro's that only talk about "teh brutalz" and how everything is "gay".  The Les Paul forum can be okay but it's too slow...stonerrock was the only forum that really felt right though.  
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

This place sucks, and all of it's posters are complete retards. Especially the moderator.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mawso

I haven't bothered with most of these.. butbUltimate Guitar is pretty bad.. in a "so bad it's funny" kinda way

tomz.

so what are the good ones? (besides this place?)
motorcycles, rock n roll, and beer, not necessarily in that order.

VOLVO)))

I feel like a board can't be "bad" long as the information being given is correct. The people are what make the forum. Just so happens we have a lively group of chaps who are civil, and well behaved enough to get along with one another. Most other places are snobbish fucks. I'm sure there's another thread somewhere saying how shitty this board is, and we're all snobs. Fuck 'em. I like the Telecaster board, and the BC Rich board is pretty solid. Everywhere else can blow me.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Harmony-Central would be awesome if the Search function worked - a lot of knowledgeable people lurking there. It could be an amazing resource. Just hanging around there... eh.

I like the Classifieds in the Effects section. Got some good deals there by taking my time and waiting for stuff to turn up at a good price.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

peyotepeddler

harmony-central was my mecca way back

i started lurking and ninja posting back in 1999 or 2000, somewhere around there, it seems their review database is fubar'd, such a shame, was a great thing for amps and effects

the forums were pretty cool at times, i wonder if that one guy bob savage still posts? ha ha

justinhedrick

i like harmony central back when it was just the most basic of forums (what is that type of forum called where it looks like a newsgroup board?)

anyway, i think it is so funny to watch the trends in amps: everyone used to hate sovtek and red bear heads because they were single channel, non switching. orange were too fenicky to work on and use, and EVERYONE who was anyone used a BBE sonic maximizer in the loop to "get brootal" . . . i of course never followed this and still use the same head (and up until about a month ago the same cab) for 10 years.

SoupKitchen

Yeah, I know, old thread. I like the Telecaster forums, just because of the diversity. Yeah, you got the country dudes on there who all love Fender Deluxes. You also have dudes playing Marshalls, SS Peaveys, etc. It's also a good place to get advice on (haters gonna hate) chorus pedals.  Every board has its snobbery, every board champions different gear. I read'em all.

bitter

I used to post on Harmony central, but it was just too geared to the metal guys. I did learn some stuff over there but it wasn't worth it after a while. This place is mellow and has a vibe like the old board. I kinda wish the ob's jam room was as lively, but at the same time I prefer it all on one site.

I also signed up on some other forum a several years back but can't remember it now. I recall someone (maybe Jake or M&B) posted about it on the old board and everyone signed up in droves but then kinda faded out. Maybe it was the gear page???
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Derelict78

Quote from: tomz. on February 07, 2011, 10:50:22 PM
so what are the good ones? (besides this place?)
www.ilovefuzz.com
other than here Its the only forum I visit regularly. Talkbass for information sometimes but I really cant stand most of the people over there.

bass sic

Talkbass just seems a little too nice for me. Over moderated. If your not completely nice and friendly in your post you get reprimanded. Plus I think it's way too diverse, with jazz players, country and even gospel. I kinda like that we here have alot more in common music wise.

moose23

Here, DFFD, Ilovefuzz and a couple Irish boards for me. Have a look at the talkbass effects forum and freestompboxes irregularly too but can't be bothered for the most part.

Metal and Beer

This one's pretty damn good comparatively speaking; others are either too moderated (never a problem here since Sunn0))) and I both freely accept bribes !) or they're overrun with insecure my-dick-is-bigger-nana-booboo Gear Nazis, blues lawyers or ne'er-do-well shady fucks. When I sense folks like that I bail out w/o postin' (much)

The Acoustic forum is excellent...older devoted fans of ACC, one of the original guys from the Van Nuys plant is a regular, but the traffic is slowwwww
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Chovie D

all the larger forums are unacceptable to me for the reasons M&B mentioned.

I frequent the pedal steel guitar forum and this one.

The pedal steel forum I stopped posting on  because they are so conservative and vocal about it that its like being present at a tea party rally when all I wanted was discussion of the  instrument...not to be reminded of how small minded, ignorant, racist and hateful most americans over 50 years old are. >:(

I see Dingers back on the Obelisk gear forum. shortest retirement ever? Kinda surprised theres not better discussion over on that fourm, but honestly its been so boring i havent participated there at all and dont plan to. I look at  it once a month maybe ...

VOLVO)))

I'm the only person who responds to him in their gear forum.

It's dirt. I've told people if they have real questions, or need any help to just register over here, as we're always willing to help others out...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Derelict78

Oh yeah freestompboxes is cool but I dont ever post there.

bbottom

I was a regular on the Harmony Central Bass forum for years. When they changed formats a few years ago I started to go to ebassist almost exclusively, a lot of the HCBF members were also members did the same.

Over the past few months I've been visiting ebassist much much less. A lot of the people there are really begining to work on my nerves and for lack of a better word, have become snobs.

So I'm glad that some resemblence of stonerrock.com is back with this site. Because at least the people here seem much much more down to earth.

Chovie D

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 03, 2011, 03:34:42 PM
I'm the only person who responds to him in their gear forum.

It's dirt. I've told people if they have real questions, or need any help to just register over here, as we're always willing to help others out...

fucking priceless when he asked the custom tube doom amplifier maker to make him a replica of a roland jazz chorus for under $200...haha!!!
:D :D :D

omg...i cant stop laughing

bitter

^ haha, I saw that too. I didn't follow any of that drama but what a fucking trainwreck.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.