Main Menu

Who's your musical hero?

Started by zachoff, February 07, 2011, 12:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Today I'm in the mood to exchange 1 Zappa for 1 Billy F. Gibbons...

Livin' The Life.

I,Galactus

Founding father:

Old school:

These days:

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

justJon

Quote from: RacerX on August 09, 2011, 01:31:55 PM
Today I'm in the mood to exchange 1 Zappa for 1 Billy F. Gibbons...

Erm....You're not gonna go all blues lawyer on me, are you?

(Disregarding, for now,  the fact that you're not a lawyer.)
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

RacerX

Nah, but being outta work is giving me the blooze for reals.

Plus, Billy does a lot with a little, which is a more attainable goal for me as a guitarist of limited skills than inventing my own form of musical notation, mastering the Synclavier, and having a symphony orchestra play my shit.
Livin' The Life.

Metal and Beer

Old clean-shaven Billy G. pics are awesome. He's definitely on my "heroes" list
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

clockwork green

I will probably never see the appeal of Zappa. I'd like him a hell of a lot more if he never touched a microphone on stage. Too many awful jokes make his vocal stuff just tedious. I've listened to his music since the late 70's and even as a kid I thought his "don't eat the yellow snow" brand of humor was just beyond bad. He never came off as actually strange to me, he's much to measured and calculating for that, it's all just some sort of theater geek schtick.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Harm

Simply the best drummer and he ages so graceful!
More faithfulfew right here.

I,Galactus

Quote from: clockwork green on August 11, 2011, 12:38:45 AM
I will probably never see the appeal of Zappa. I'd like him a hell of a lot more if he never touched a microphone on stage. Too many awful jokes make his vocal stuff just tedious. I've listened to his music since the late 70's and even as a kid I thought his "don't eat the yellow snow" brand of humor was just beyond bad. He never came off as actually strange to me, he's much to measured and calculating for that, it's all just some sort of theater geek schtick.

Thankfully the thread's not called "defend your musical hero," since it's pretty difficult to defend a guy who made an album called "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar" and then proceded to not do that.

I will, however, expound (unprovoked, mind you) upon the awesomeness of Zach Hill (the sweaty guy in the pic above).  Specifically, his right fucking foot:

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

clockwork green

Many people who's judgment in music I respect love Zappa and it's obvious the man is a musical genius but my rants about him are out of frustration and partially a plea that somebody will eventually explain it to me in a way that makes me get it.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

eyeprod

haha, I never got Zappa either. I can tell he's a great guitar player with a weird sense of humor but NONE of his music grabs me, personally. I've tried, but it's one of those things for me where people rave about they guy and you think you're missing something if you don't check it out. I guess it's like black licorice
CV - Slender Fungus

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Metal and Beer

"Music is subjective!!" rant  LOL

I hold Frank Zappa in high regard, I respect him like few others and his body of work has achieved things 99% of musicians only dream of. He's a legend, a genius, a freaking Wizard and I can't express with any more clarity how sincere I am in my assessment of him.
I also can't listen to him longer than a few minutes at a time, nothing he does resonates within my soul. I appreciate it on a cerebral level but I do not and cannot feel one bit of anything I've ever heard from him. EVER. I need a primal rhythmic reaction to vibrations in music and he can't provide that for me. Further, if someone replied "Well, that's because it's simply over your head, you're unable to grasp the complexity and humor and subtlety and other levels of his work.." I wouldn't even disagree with that, but would perhaps say "I don't listen to music for any of that stuff"

Mongo need bang rocks and skulls!! LOUD SKULLS BLOOD BONES. I like the color red because it's all red and junk.

Edit: LOL, I should have just quoted Eyeprod's post
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Harm

Quote from: RacerX on August 11, 2011, 04:10:52 PM
Get this (or not):

The groove i'm getting, love the sound of the kickdrum, i wonder how they miced it to get it that thick.
More faithfulfew right here.

MichaelZodiac

best Zappa vid I've seen:

The guitar player in the band is a huge Zappa fan so occasionally he shows me some good stuff. I can appreciate it but not really be totally into it.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan