Main Menu

Who's your musical hero?

Started by zachoff, February 07, 2011, 12:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachoff

J Mascis for me.  Dude just rules.  I'm not even a guitar player and I love his guitar playing and his drumming with early Dinosaur and Witch are sick as well and even though he claims no input to the guitar parts for Witch, any self loathing Mascis fan can hear it, easily.

Bass hero is Mike Watt (who played with J & the Fog), but J's still got my musical hero title wrapped up.  Second would be Dave Grohl because that dude has pop rock wrapped up in his little pinky, made the greatest pop rock song of my generation (Everlong), and apart from bass has destroyed every type of rock instrument there is.  Cummon Dave... Play a little bass... Show us what you got!! ;D

clockwork green

Besides some of the obvious choices for most guitar players as an overall musician and musical force of nature, my first thought is Michael Gira.  He personifies powerful emotional music and he's also completely fearless as an artist. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

peyotepeddler

i've had a thing for ali farka toure for many years now, great stuff, rip

Instant Dan

Too many but I had to pick just one:

Billy Gibbons just because his personality and outlook is something to be admired.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Discö Rice

Quote from: clockwork green on February 07, 2011, 01:20:48 AM
Besides some of the obvious choices for most guitar players as an overall musician and musical force of nature, my first thought is Michael Gira.  He personifies powerful emotional music and he's also completely fearless as an artist. 

^^^100% agreed.

I don't think I could nail it down to just one, but as far as the basis for my playing style on my chosen instrument, Dale Crover, followed closely by Dave Lombardo.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

spookstrickland

I would have to say:  Jimi Hendrix because he is just everything I wanted to be but couldn't.  Leslie West because he was a big fat guy like me and I love his Vibrato.  Jim Morrison because I think he is the ultimate front man and singer then.  Finely Lou Reed because he does not really have what anyone would call "greatness" in any category but is overall Great!

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

rayinreverse

If there were any musicians career I could have or emulate it would be Dave Grohl.
He played in Scream, awesome. Nirvana,awesome. QOTSA,awesome. Foo Fighters,awesome. Decided to do probot and write a bunch of songs for his own idols. Them Crooked Vultures

black_out

I know it's kind of a lame, easy choice, but Tony Iommi. I've been hooked on Sabbath since I was old enough to care about music and no matter what other phases I've gone through, Sabbath has always remained in the rotation.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

VOLVO)))

Sue me. He may not be the best guitar player, and his band may not be the best ever, but Immortal can't do much wrong, for me. He seems to have a shitload of fun, and is one hell of a character. I could only wish to be like that.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Dave J

I always seem to gravitate to Jimmy Page.  I know there was some liberal "borrowing" from others in the early Zep days, but he was very versatile and mixed different styles and influences.  Sometimes he channelled it from somewhere out of this world.

There are many others too I guess.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

eyeprod

I think I'll stay out of this because I'm prone to talk a bunch of shit

but, Tony Iommi, Geezer, Bill Ward, and Billy Gibbons for sure are up there.
CV - Slender Fungus

Mike_Sims

Tony Iommi and (i know I'm gonna get bashed for this) Dave Chandler

ROWDYBEER

Angus Young. Ac/dc makes me happy.

Volume

I pretty much started playing guitar because of Slash and, even if I rarely listen to GNR anymore and my tastes in tone have changed a lot, I still dig his playing. He has a great sense of melody and has great memorable leads.

Another one is Keef. Awesome tone and attitude towards playing.

Lastly Josh Homme. Very few musicians have made as many great records as him. I also dig his unique style and sound and the fact that he's still making fresh and interesting stuff 20 years after the first Kyuss album.

chlorpromazine

johnny problem

-Frank Zappa.  He's the reason I picked up an SG and started learning guitar.  He's paved the way for so many musicians.

justinhedrick

in no particular order and for varying reasons:

aaron turner from isis
matt pike from high on fire
the guys in slint (the did spiderland when they were like 19)
Matt Talbott from Hum
Steve albini

EddieMullet

Bob Daisley- First there was Khavas Jhute and Widowmaker, but then he got to play with Ronnie Dio, Cozy Powell and Ritchie Blackmore in Rainbow, then onto the Blizzard of Ozz band with Randy Rhoads and Lee Kerslake, then onto Uriah Heep, a short stint in Black Sabbath and a long one with Gary Moore.

If that isn't a dream career I don't know what is.  Of course he eventually got royally screwed over by The Osbournes which I guess would put a black cloud over all of that, but still what a list of people to have played with

the diddler

Mark Lanegan
Neil Young
Pete Townshend

Great songwriting is what makes music more than the sum of its sound parts

Dave J

Oh, Pete Townshend for sure.  He has written so many great tunes and has great creativity in my book.  Great guitar player.

+1
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

liquidsmoke

A bunch of people come to mind right away but Iommi is king.

tomz.

Watt. His work ethic is to be admired.
motorcycles, rock n roll, and beer, not necessarily in that order.

eyeprod

Quote from: Mike_Sims on February 07, 2011, 11:25:15 PM
Tony Iommi and (i know I'm gonna get bashed for this) Dave Chandler

dude, chandler is awesome. if only for that gnarly tone, the fro and the headband
CV - Slender Fungus