Main Menu

Xmas Gear!

Started by Ranbat, December 25, 2012, 06:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave J

I got one of those for Christmas as well.  I made some cool looking credit card picks, but I assumed they would not be good for playing guitar.  After reading this thread, I realize all I need to do is sand it down.  I did use one to play my bass and I had no problems with it. I think I will order their Acetal Deirin or something else.  I don't have the time or patience to do some of the things they have on the website, but someday I will.

"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Jake

Just as a note, the Acetal Derlin sheets are smoother than the (coated?) Dunlop stuff, therefore less grippy. I haven't yet done it, but I'm thinking another 18 seconds of scuffing up the faces of them will add enough  "tooth" to them.
poop.

Metal and Beer

That thing sucks ! I bought picks already made !!   :P
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Jake

Yeah, but you can make them out of exotic materials - like homeless people's long yellow toenails or Ewok foreskin.
poop.

RAGER

Quote from: RacerX on January 01, 2013, 11:49:38 AM

Is it this one? Nice looking guitar.

not the same I know but I've always wanted a tenor guitar.  A friend had one and every time I was over there i played the shit out of his.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

oooops. I missed a very key thing at the start: gift
maybe i'll learn to read some time.
I apologize. I got rolling thinking you were suggesting this as an actual alternative, and for sure not with credit cards.
For something to horse around with, it is cool.

but i do stand by the list of justifying why not to do this as a main pick source is huge.
just the wasted time even.

Glitchyghost

Quote from: jibberish on January 02, 2013, 01:29:33 AM
oooops. I missed a very key thing at the start: gift
maybe i'll learn to read some time.
I apologize. I got rolling thinking you were suggesting this as an actual alternative, and for sure not with credit cards.
For something to horse around with, it is cool.

but i do stand by the list of justifying why not to do this as a main pick source is huge.
just the wasted time even.

Just, take it easy, man.

Glitchyghost

I gifted myself a Matamp Minimat 3.  2 channel 4 watt little monster.   I'm in love with it.   I now have a 1 watt Rock Block tube amp for sale :)

jibberish

heh, i'm good. just didn't want jake to get white plastic dust all over his killer basement...heh , that's it, yup.

I,Galactus

Quote from: RacerX on January 01, 2013, 10:30:00 AM
What kinda parlor you got?

Sorry... this question got lost in the pick punch noise.  ::)

Larrivee Rosewood Special.  I think the model number is P-03 but am unsure as I bought it  on Guitar Center's used site.  Spruce top, rosewood sides, ebony board.  I absolutely love this thing and it gets the majority of my attention.

bass sic, only complaint I've heard about that beaut of a washburn is the period authentic v shaped neck profile.  Some dig it, some don't.  Great quality and solid woods, though.  Hope ya like it.  :)
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

khoomeizhi

my wife scored us an early-80's organ, with the bass pedals, basic drum beats, the whole 9. now i can't stop kicking out the slow jams.

'this one's for the ladies...'
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Baltar

I sand all my pics down anyway. Started doing that after I found Dunlop Sharp's.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

RacerX

Quote from: I,Galactus on January 02, 2013, 07:10:24 AM
Quote from: RacerX on January 01, 2013, 10:30:00 AM
What kinda parlor you got?

Sorry... this question got lost in the pick punch noise.  ::)

Larrivee Rosewood Special.  I think the model number is P-03 but am unsure as I bought it  on Guitar Center's used site.  Spruce top, rosewood sides, ebony board.  I absolutely love this thing and it gets the majority of my attention.

bass sic, only complaint I've heard about that beaut of a washburn is the period authentic v shaped neck profile.  Some dig it, some don't.  Great quality and solid woods, though.  Hope ya like it.  :)

The Larrivee is a nice parlor, too. A bit plain Jane, but I'll bet she sounds sweet.
Livin' The Life.

I,Galactus

Quote from: RacerX on January 02, 2013, 08:12:16 AMThe Larrivee is a nice parlor, too. A bit plain Jane, but I'll bet she sounds sweet.

Just how I like 'em.  :)  "Zebra is fine creature to admire, but you do not have to ride it." - old Russian proverb I just made up.

I've actually been considering replacing the bridge pins since the stock ones have a little abalone on 'em.

Also, if anyone else happens to be in the market for a parlor, I highly recommend contacting Steve @ http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/.  Always has a nice stable at reasonable prices, will set them up to your liking, and is generally great to do business with.  I would've had one of his if the last tropical depression to hit the eastern seaboard hadn't swallowed up Vermont at the same time I found my Larry via GC.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

bass sic

Quote from: RacerX on January 01, 2013, 02:10:18 PM
Yeah, I've been coveting a parlor git for awhile now. The Washburns look nice, made in the US, too.

Let us know how she plays/sounds!

It arrived Friday night and I've messed around a little with it. Sad to say its going back. No frett buzz and very low action, plays and sounds great. The issues I have are sharp frett ends, which I would fix myself if I was keeping it. Also the finish is crap, I know it was built to look vintage, but it seems like scrap wood was used and the tops finish is dull and dirty looking. Very light guitar too, feels like a toy. I paid 4 for it which I think is twice what it's worth. Just my opinion.

RAGER

That sucks dude.  But if also confirms my mantra of never buying a guitar without playing it first unless it's just that good of a deal.

So with all this talk of parlor guitars, I dug oot a guitar i forgot I had.  it's a 60's Silvertone classical style.  it only has 12 frets up to the body like a parlor and 18 total.  Is it considered a parlor?  Shit I should know this stuff for all the years I've played...derp

Edit-my fret count was a derp
No Focus Pocus

bass sic

I looked for one of these local so I could check it out before buying. It looks really good in pictures.

I,Galactus

Sorry to hear it bass sic.  Check out http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/current.html if you've still got the lil' fiddle GAS.  Reasonable prices and some sweet guits to be had.

"Parlor" classification is all aboot the bout size, not number of frets, RAGER.  My Larry's 9 1/2" on top, 13" on bottom but there can be some variance there too.  It's basically the girth, not the length.  ;)

bass sic

Yea I saw that link you posted about an hour after I ordered the Washburn. Good stuff there, thanks.

RacerX

Bummer, but better to send it back than be stuck with a lemon. That site with the used parlors will come in handy when I'm ready.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

i picked up a $50 nylon stringed pawn shop guitar thinking it would be good for summer on then deck...and it was okay for that purpose I guess.

Id like a better beater tho...

RacerX

There are often a lot of old Harmony (or Stella by Harmony) parlor guitars to be found on cl & garage sales/pawn shops. If you find a good specimen, grab it.
Livin' The Life.

Ranbat

My current fave for slide. These are usually pretty cheap on eBay/CL/shopgoodwill, but most have worthless necks. I have come across a few good ones at estate sales fairly cheap too.

A small collection I had for awhile.
Meh :/

RacerX

Nice lil' stash! Current slide git looks real nice, too.
Livin' The Life.

Andrew Blakk

I got myself a cute little Mooers phaser.

At least something.  :)