Main Menu

Xmas Gear!

Started by Ranbat, December 25, 2012, 06:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Dude, that is beautiful. I'm still bigtime in love with my Matsumoko V (Aria Pro II).
Livin' The Life.

The Riffer

Thanks man. Really nice instrument. My guitar player has a late 70's Vantage semi hollow. After playing that, I had my eyes on the lookout for them. You have a V? sounds cool. Post a pic?
I stripped the double P down and buffed out the finish, really brought out the beauty. Also, having the pickups rewound for  some more beef. Here she sits today:
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

moose23

That's really nice, I was eyeing a Westbury Track 2 here but don't think the seller will have any interest in a trade so will probably have to pass.

RacerX

Here's the Aria (paid $350 for her):

I've since replaced the microphonic bridge pickup with a newer Dimarzio SD since that's what's in the neck, but my next move is to get a pair of PAF style p/us in there, instead. No $$ for that right now, though.
Livin' The Life.

The Riffer

Moose, not familiar w those..is it a Matsumoku also?

Racer, that V is the hotness.Thx for the pics.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Glitchyghost

Quote from: Chovie D on December 27, 2012, 07:06:34 PM
what i was wondering about the pick punch is:
1. dont picks have rounded or beveled edges? and wouldnt a pick without rounded edges kind of scrape against the strings?
2. other than credit cards laying around...which apparently are not suitable,....what material is handy to use? defeats the purpose if you have to order special material, might as well order 100 picks.

Its really #1 that bothers me tho. that and that I use the more severly shaped teardrop picks like these:

Chovie, go take a look through the company's website.  That should answer most of your questions.  There are several models of the puncher, so you can make the shapes you're used to.  They also sell different kinds of plastic material, so you don't have to use credit cards, or whatever. 

http://www.pickpunch.com/

RacerX

Man, a pack of Dunlop Jazz IIIs lasts me a year. The Dunlop fat purple stubbies last close to a year EACH. I guess I'm not the target market for the Pick Punch peeps, tho.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

I lose picks. Oddly, I dont lose my knife, or the lone 9mm round I keep in my pocket...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

moose23

Quote from: The Riffer on December 28, 2012, 03:49:27 PM
Moose, not familiar w those..is it a Matsumoku also?

Racer, that V is the hotness.Thx for the pics.

Yeah Matsumoko were contracted by Unicord to build Univox and Westbury. Here's the track 2 I was eyeing up.

http://www.adverts.ie/electric-basses/bass-guitar-westbury/2449415

VOLVO)))

These look like Alembic knockoffs. So sexy.

I have a westone thunder 1a as my main bass until I finish my Kramer...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

Quote from: koi on December 28, 2012, 04:19:24 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on December 27, 2012, 07:06:34 PM
what i was wondering about the pick punch is:
1. dont picks have rounded or beveled edges? and wouldnt a pick without rounded edges kind of scrape against the strings?
2. other than credit cards laying around...which apparently are not suitable,....what material is handy to use? defeats the purpose if you have to order special material, might as well order 100 picks.

Its really #1 that bothers me tho. that and that I use the more severly shaped teardrop picks like these:

Chovie, go take a look through the company's website.  That should answer most of your questions.  There are several models of the puncher, so you can make the shapes you're used to.  They also sell different kinds of plastic material, so you don't have to use credit cards, or whatever. 

http://www.pickpunch.com/

thanks man , i checked it out. you gotta sand the picks after punching em out.
This thing isnt for me. If I wanted to make personalized or band picks, I could see how it would be a cool thing to have tho.

The Shocker

Just ordered this for a beater.

24" scale.

Baltar

Traded in the Bigger Muff.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

I,Galactus

Late xmas gift: got a sweet canadian HSC for my parlor.  Sorry, no pix but it looks like this:

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RacerX

What kinda parlor you got?
Livin' The Life.

bass sic

I was gonna ask the same. I'm prolly getting a Washburn tonight.

RacerX

Is it this one? Nice looking guitar.
Livin' The Life.

bass sic

Me? It's that one with less inlay on the fretboard.

RacerX

Yeah, I've been coveting a parlor git for awhile now. The Washburns look nice, made in the US, too.

Let us know how she plays/sounds!
Livin' The Life.

bass sic

I've had my finger on the trigger for a month now, and keep talking myself out of it. But fuck it, it's Xmas and I deserve it. Ill let ya know how it plays when I get it.

bass sic

Alright, trigger pulled. I've been going back and forth between a dobro and this parlor. The made in US is what sold me on this one, and it just looks old as fuck. I hope it's quality. Ill let ya know when I get it.

jibberish

Quote from: Jake on December 27, 2012, 04:05:43 PM
The Pick Punch is not a TOTAL FAIL. It works great if you use the right material.

(Unless you were just pretending to be a melodramatic 15 year old girl.)

dude, yes it is.    I bought 2 packs of purple tortex picks maybe 2 years ago. I have yet to open the second pack.

so my investment in QUALITY MFRD AND READY-2-GO picks is about $8 per maybe 3-4 yrs.

so now you have to invest in special material which has markup and then actually go through the labor of punching them out and SANDING? or otherwise finishing them. the million dollar machine that makes millions of identical picks really does better

Jake, when you have failed, you need to fess up to a really bad idea. A pick punch is really a stupid acquisition for the average joe. ergo total fail and HIGHLY recommended to pass unless you are making cute artsy stuff.

jibberish

i already blabbed about my headphones and Tascam 24 track i got myself.

still eyeing this $200 fender acoustic. it plays nice for a $200 cutaway acoustic. i need a 'round the fire beater.

Jake

Quote from: jibberish on January 01, 2013, 06:42:02 PM
dude, yes it is.    I bought 2 packs of purple tortex picks maybe 2 years ago. I have yet to open the second pack.

so my investment in QUALITY MFRD AND READY-2-GO picks is about $8 per maybe 3-4 yrs.

so now you have to invest in special material which has markup and then actually go through the labor of punching them out and SANDING? or otherwise finishing them. the million dollar machine that makes millions of identical picks really does better

Jake, when you have failed, you need to fess up to a really bad idea. A pick punch is really a stupid acquisition for the average joe. ergo total fail and HIGHLY recommended to pass unless you are making cute artsy stuff.

I'm glad that you're able to keep picks around for as long as you do. But since you and I happen to be different people, your circumstances don't necessarily apply to me, now do they?

I got it as a Christmas gift. That's why it's in this thread. It was a $0.00 investment. Was my "failure" in unwrapping and "acquiring" this gift, exactly? The two sheets of .80mm Acetal Delrin (same as Dunlop Tortex) were a $3.25/sheet investment. They will make about 140 picks total.

As far as sanding goes, I invested about 18 seconds rubbing the edges of each pick I made today with one of these.

I just don't see the reason for such uproar. I never said "everyone needs to buy these RIGHT NOW!!!" did I? I said I got it for Xmas, credit card picks suck, and I bought tortex. You need to save the internet outrage for something way more deserving. Sheesh.
poop.

Ranbat

Quote from: jibberish on January 01, 2013, 06:42:02 PM
Quote from: Jake on December 27, 2012, 04:05:43 PM
The Pick Punch is not a TOTAL FAIL. It works great if you use the right material.

(Unless you were just pretending to be a melodramatic 15 year old girl.)

Maybe it is a novelty item, but that alone makes it NOT a fail. It's a great way to try a variety of materials as picks. You just might discover a material you like better than tortex.
Meh :/