The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

I'm just tired of the performance of flimsy shit. It's the same old thing everybody does.  I spend all this money on top notch synth gear then run it all through cheap speakers. Kinda dumb.

I've a good friend (BRIZBOMB look him up) that had an under the radar noise venue a few years back and he blew up or caught fire to every other brand except QSC. I get in moods when I just want punishing volume without the fire and smoke.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I figured out that I can get by without buying speakers, so crisis averted. But I agree, QSC seem to be more sturdy than the competition. The tweeters in particular will withstand punishment that fries other speaker brands.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

Free copies of Ozone 8 Elements mastering software (just need to sign up for their mailing list). I have it, it's pretty easy to use. Get your mix levels up, adjust EQ, compress if needed, etc etc. Opens as a plug-in inside your DAW software. I paid for my copy, you guys can get it for free. If you record at home and need mastering software, this is really good.

https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/get-your-free-copy-of-ozone-8-elements.html

Lumpy

I think tomorrow (Oct. 2nd) is the last day to get a free copy of Ozone 8 Elements. But I'm not sure.

https://www.izotope.com/en/lp/ozone-elements-free.html

renfield

Worthy bass preamp under $200?

Lumpy

You want a rack unit or pedal? This is not my wheelhouse but that's an important distinction.

renfield

hmmmmmm

That's a good question. I was thinking pedal, but it's to go with my rackmount QSC poweramp so rack is a possibility as well. Would need a bigger rack to accommodate them both.

Lumpy

Do you ever look at TalkBass.com? You should try doing a search there. You could post your own question but it's probably been covered a lot already. One caveat- there are slappers and tappers there, so you'd want to make the distinction for "classic rock" or whatever description suits your music best. Thrash, doom etc.

Doing a search might be good, to see some older answers. Older answers will bring up older equipment which will be cheaper now.

renfield

Cool, thanks for the wisdom dude

renfield

This is the most rock and roll website ever

QuoteRule #2: Do not post profanity or obscenity. Because this forum is viewed by bassists of all ages, all posts must be suitable for viewing by minors. All profanity must be completely covered with asterisks, or completely substituted with "@%$#" symbols. Better yet, leave it out. Any use of creative lettering or partially masked profanity is not allowed. Obscene material, Strategically covered nudity, Sheer or see-through clothing, Lewd or provocative poses, Close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches is not permitted, nor are links to websites containing such material or anything deemed inappropriate for minors. If what you have to say wouldn't be suited for network TV, the workplace, or your family, don't post it here.

RAGER

Wrought with worship band turds.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

There's all kinds of people on there, including people who like Stoner Rock.

They have a lot of forum rules like no trolling, no fighting etc, it does seem to keep everything on topic.

Lots of members just pass through occasionally, so not much point in fighting with people you disagree with, because you might not see them again for months.

I think it's a good place to get leads to research. You have to sift through the comments and decide for yourself.

renfield

I didn't mean to impugn them. It seems like a great resource

mortlock

im registered on talk bass. i use it for research. i barely ever post there like pretty much never.

Muffin Man

Quote from: Lumpy on September 10, 2019, 03:21:07 PM
I need some PA speakers too :(

I don't want to spend QSC money, it's for really limited use. Which means they won't sound that great.

Desolation

#haiku

Get the best

Muffin Man

Quote from: mortlock on October 01, 2019, 10:33:07 PM
im registered on talk bass. i use it for research. i barely ever post there like pretty much never.

Are you itching for a new bass? I think I'm signed up there.

I need a 2nd option to P bass for weird 4-track recording shit CLEAN tone. I got pedals for earpain.
What do I got over at Eastwood?

Lumpy

Eastwood has a copy of the Ampeg scroll bass (comes in fretless or fretted). The real ones are rare and super expensive. I don't know what they sound like but they look nice. I think it's the Eastwood EAB-1 (not certain)

Muffin Man

Owe you one, sir

I got it

Muffin Man

Lumpy

renfield

I can't decide between getting rack or pedal. I'd have to lug around the heavy ass poweramp anyway so maybe it's not too bad to add ten pounds to it and keep everything in one unit?

Lumpy

You should be able to find a rack unit for not too much money. I think Ampeg makes some that people like, there's also one by Alembic that is supposed to be good (?) Im not sure what's available in pedal form.

You might be able to trade your 2 space rack for a 3 space rack.

How did you get started with the power amp setup? What have you been doing for a preamp so far?

I find a regular amp simpler, takes up less space, maybe slightly more expensive or same price once you factor in the case, cables etc. The one time I had to use a power amp, I used a Bass Pod as a preamp. It worked, it looked dumb but it worked fine and had lots of tone shaping options.

Lumpy

Sometimes when I'm shopping for gear I'll just see whats available on Craigslist or what's cheap on EBay or Reverb or Talkbass, then look for reviews. Sort of shopping based on easy availability.

As usual, Peavey probably makes a good one that is under valued.

Lumpy

If I was shopping for a bass amp from scratch now, I would consider one of the Quilter type amps which weigh like 5 pounds and are the size of a football. Because I'm old. I think Mesa has one too (the Subway?) something like that. There's a bunch of these mini high powered amps now. But they may look dumb to your band mates, which is kind of a factor.

renfield

I got the poweramp because it was practically free on craigs, and I have an amphead (Ampeg SS-140c) whose built in poweramp has issues.

I've been borrowing our singers Fender Rumble for gigs, but he's not in the band anymore, so I need some sort of replacement. It certainly doesn't have to be a preamp. I guess I have the idea that I can get more power per $ if I combine something with the poweramp.