Main Menu

Gear you won't buy/use...

Started by zachoff, January 04, 2012, 07:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayinreverse

i would never buy, or play a steiberger guitar or bass.
i would also probably think about not ever playing with a drummer if he showed up to practice with an electronic kit.

Discö Rice

Joe Preston was playing a headless bass when I saw Thrones in Brooklyn last year. Looked really stupid, sounded great. I imagine if you're flying out to your shows, not having a headstock would be a good thing. Seems like I'm constantly hearing about people getting their headstocks snapped off by careless airline employees. I dunno - probably still not worth the trade off in looks, unless retarded is what you're aiming for. In Mr. Preston's case, the bright rainbow strap was the perfect accessory.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

rayinreverse

Quote from: Discö Rice on January 06, 2012, 03:36:28 PM
Joe Preston was playing a headless bass when I saw Thrones in Brooklyn last year. Looked really stupid, sounded great. I imagine if you're flying out to your shows, not having a headstock would be a good thing. Seems like I'm constantly hearing about people getting their headstocks snapped off by careless airline employees. I dunno - probably still not worth the trade off in looks, unless retarded is what you're aiming for. In Mr. Preston's case, the bright rainbow strap was the perfect accessory.

yeah he was playing one when I saw him a few years ago. i dont give a shit who plays one, or how great they sound. they look ridiculous. honestly they look like something that someone would be playing in back to the future II.

clockwork green

The dude in Boris has a bass/guitar double neck...I'd totally play that.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Metal and Beer

I used to have a much larger (and generally more foolish) gear prejudice when I was younger, now I'll only exclude the lowest and highest ends, qualitywise. Cheap stuff for beginners just ain't gonna do and blues lawyer shit is for, well, them. Obviously there are exceptions in both cases...
   For many years I ridiculed Peavey because my experiences with them in the late '80's was always the same: The amps sounded cold, harsh, unforgiving...I've since had better experiences and they've no doubt grown, too in that time...

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

hashbrowns

I think steinburgers are rad. Played one once and it ruled. I guess I can kind of understand where you guys are coming from but I just have never been one to give a shit about looks with almost anything.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Iron Mtn

Quote from: dunwichamps on January 04, 2012, 10:15:00 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on January 04, 2012, 10:12:08 PM
PRS guitars. Fugly, expensive, and I've never heard one that sounds good in a heavy band. Who buys them, besides Carlos Santana?

Opeth?

Ancestors

Ranbat

I totally don't get the hate on pointy guitars. SGs are like the original pointy guitar. Plenty of guys from the 70s played a BC Rich Bich or Mockingbird. Iommi even dabbled with playing an Ironbird. I love the feel of a Warlock. My only complaint with most of the shredder guitars is those thin necks that seem so common. Give me a Warlock with a baseball bat neck and I'd have the ultimate guitar.
Meh :/

Pundan

I try to stay away from beginner-level guitars and amps and Behringer pedals. Otherwise I'm really not too picky and I don't really care to "keep it cheap". Yeah that's very cool and all and I totally respect those that do that but this is my #1 interest and I have money. I'm not rich but I have not problems at all to pay the bills so why should I be cheap on my interest?

Discö Rice

For the record, I'm down with SG's.

I agree with Lumpy about PRS guitars. God fucking awful. They sound and look like poo. I swear to god you can almost always tell when there's a PRS in the mix.  If someone gave me a free one, I'd handle it with rubber gloves and I'd sell it immediately to someone I dislike, take whatever I got for it and buy something worth playing.

EddieMullet

I won't buy anything with active pickups, or a guitar with any type of whammy bar.

That said I'll use anything a few times just for the hell of it.

I can't diss the low end gear one of my favorite guitars is a 99 dollar 1997 Epiphone SG Junior.

Hemisaurus

I'm with you on the active front, can't abide the sound of that stuff.

I like headless, both the Steinberger (rectangle) and regular shaped headless basses have their place, speaking as one who can get his hair tangled round the headstock if he thrashes too hard. Rob from The Exploited plays a nice headless bass, looks like a regular bass, but less to damage on top.

clockwork green

I recently overhauled my very pointy Iceman with some EMG's and 9's, tuned it to Eb and couldn't be happier playing hyper speed thrash riffs that nobody will ever hear. Sometimes it's fun just to have gear to make you smile for reasons others won't understand.

fallen

The PRS hate is pretty funny. Nobody likes double humbucker, mahogany set neck guitars?

I will say this for PRS. The pickups aren't great and the shape will always be associated with bad blues rock playing but if you compare the build quality of one of those SE models vs a Gibson at the same price the Gibsons start looking pretty shoddy.

clockwork green

I've got to admit, I kinda like the PRS single-cuts...the one that Gibson sued them over.  If I was going to buy a really high end Les Paul style guitar it wouldn't be my first choice but I'd probably rather have one of those than a current production Gibson of the same price range. 

xayk

I have a Steinberger P series I've had for about 15 years or so (Buck Dharma 4 life).  I'd be lying if I said it were the ultimate doom machine, but it plays effortlessly - the neck is just awesome.  It's a good change-of-pace guitar when I feel myself falling into old ruts.  (It's also the only piece of gear I own worth anything, so I keep threatening to sell it ever time I want a new amp.)

In the spirit if the thread, I'll say that it does have EMG's, and I've disliked almost every EMG I've played/heard.  But these are passive and just cleeeeean. 

NoSleepTilSleep

PRS hate for me (and I hope a few others, so I'm not a complete asshat) has nothing to do with the instrument... I'm sure they play nice and I'm pretty whatever about the looks, it has everything to do with either coming of age in, or gaining musical cognizance in, the late 90's. Every fucking horrid band played one through a triple rec (nu-metal and radio-rock...seether, stained, linkin park, creed, yadda fucking yadda fucking yadda) and every dipshit kid wanted one (the same dipshit kid who now works at the guitar store in your hometown and is working on his "acoustic stuff"). So those 5-ish years of seeing them in the hands of people who created some of the worst music possible pretty much slayed any possible PRS redemption.  

EddieMullet

The PRS SE singlecut is a nice guitar for the price, I got mine for 300 bucks used and it came with a pretty nice gig bag.  I have the SE One which is sort of a copy of a Les Paul Junior, it's a solid chunk of mahogany with a set neck and a single P-90.

I dig it.  And I spent the last 20 years hating PRS guitars.

But if it wouldn't have been so cheap I probably wouldn't have even considered it.

Jake

I love the PRS Mira. Wraparound, no flame, pickguard, no frills. Yum.
poop.

Instant Dan

Those PRS Mira's were supposed to their answer to Gibson SG's.

cat shepard

I don't own a PRS there is no way im dirt poor. I have used them though and can dial any sound I need out of the two I used. I wouldn't want to be caught playing one live but would do it if I had to. I agree about most everything that has been said about them, but the fact is they don't "sound" bad.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Discö Rice

An old bandmate of mine had a nice 80's B.C. Rich Warlock he used for our grind band. It worked well for that, but I couldn't see using one for anything but that kind of thing. I wouldn't mind having a white 80's Mockingbird bass, though.

Volume

I wouldn't buy a PRS, strat, pretty much anything with a floyd or active pups, Line6, etc... I wouldn't mind (much) using them for recording or messing around at home though. That said I do have a slight pointy guitar fetish, my live guitar is a Reverend Ron Asheton V and I'd really like an old mockingbird or a rhodes V (without the floyd and EMG's).

grimniggzy

Those Asheton's are pretty friggin' sweet.