pedal idea running it by people

Started by dunwichamps, November 10, 2011, 12:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

Quote from: BrianDamage on November 11, 2011, 02:01:55 PM
When you start building them let me know. I will be buying one fo sho. Trying to put money back for a FAC OFF at the moment.

Did you order 1 from the run or getting money to get one later?

spookstrickland

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 11, 2011, 08:22:52 AM
Quote from: spookstrickland on November 11, 2011, 04:40:39 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on November 10, 2011, 05:26:33 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on November 10, 2011, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on November 10, 2011, 10:18:09 AM
Quote from: spookstrickland on November 10, 2011, 04:37:16 AM
Really the whole sound of a rangemaster is the fact that you do not have much control over the output that it is just a 10k volume pot that is also the load resister on the collector.  Couple that with it's High Pass input that filters around 300hz and below out.  If you take away that you just end up with a LPBooster sort of sounding thing.  And they were all Germanium to begin with so there is nothing new there.

They are also very touchy with their bias of about 7 volts and just the right transistor otherwise they don't sound right at all or at least not what we think they should sound like and No one seems to be able to get one sound like Tony Iommi or Beano area Clapton either.

They are a strange one that's for sure.

I dont think I am taking those things away, If you dial the input cap to ~4.7nF and remove any high pass filtering, your more or less right back where a usual rangemaster is. I am just offering more than that.

Yea the Ge NOS bipolar junctions are all leaky and have loose tolerance thats for sure. I guess thats something you just accept in the end

What I was saying is that if you take it out of those parameters that you end up with a EHX Linear Power booster which can be bought for peanuts already.  What would be far more valuable is a pedal that simulates the sound of a Rangemaster into screaming tube amp with out having to drive the input so hard and making it SS friendly.

Just my two cents.  I've Breadboarded and played around with both circuits quite a bit.

Yea there are a lot of boosters out there no doubt, and my idea is nothing new just, a slight tweak. I think its better than just a st8 clean, flat boost given the passive EQ tweaks but I can always breadboard it and check it out neways

Well it will be a fun project anyway.  Good luck and let us hear the result

Cheers

:)

Spook

I appreciate the constructive criticism, not always easy to do.

Baltar

Maybe we can work out something on a simple proto in the winter

I am going to use some turret strips so it should be a easy job

What would be really cool is some of that surplus Russian electronic parts on Ebay.  work some of that into your build for some real retro goodness!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Glitchyghost

I have a  bag full of NOS, RCA 581024B NPN germanium transistors.  Fairly low gain, 58 - 120 hfe.    They sound really really good.  Anyway,  I'd be down to giving you some in exchange for a pedal. 

dunwichamps

Quote from: koi on November 11, 2011, 09:45:25 PM
I have a  bag full of NOS, RCA 581024B NPN germanium transistors.  Fairly low gain, 58 - 120 hfe.    They sound really really good.  Anyway,  I'd be down to giving you some in exchange for a pedal. 

For an RM clone or for something else?

Glitchyghost

I'm just saying for whatever it is that you've got planned with this particular pedal.   If you end up needing some cool GE's to fill orders, and keep the price low, I've got some.   That's all.   

BrianDamage

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 11, 2011, 03:11:03 PM
Quote from: BrianDamage on November 11, 2011, 02:01:55 PM
When you start building them let me know. I will be buying one fo sho. Trying to put money back for a FAC OFF at the moment.

Did you order 1 from the run or getting money to get one later?

I am wanting to get one next go 'round. To broke this time. Eventually I want a Wizard as well. Too bad you don't live closer and need lot's of tattoos. We could do some bartering lol.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003