pedal idea running it by people

Started by dunwichamps, November 10, 2011, 12:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

Germanium rangemaster with adjustable input cap and a adjustable hi end filter

Remove the usual output volume control, replace with adjustable emitter bypass control

Glitchyghost

I love a good rangemaster.  But honestly what you've mentioned is not a very unique idea.  There's hundreds of builders doing rm variations exactly like this.  You probably already know that.

dunwichamps

yea nothing unique. I am going for something that strikes a balance between overtweakable and one tricky pony. More rotary switches so far

Glitchyghost

Cool.  Hope I didn't come off as being negative.   Guess I just wasn't clear on if you were presenting it as a new idea or something.   Your version could end up being awesome.  GE boosts are my favorite type of boost.

dunwichamps

oh no i didnt take any offense, you were just being honest. its kool. its true RM is a used and abused design

My idea is this. the originals are bright because they filter a ton of bass out, why not give users say 7-12 input cap options for any amount of bass that want. Also why not give 7-12 options for high cut.

Together you can actually get the original design, full flat boost, or even a nice mid rang hump for driving something needs a bump in the mids

spookstrickland

Really the whole sound of a rangemaster is the fact that you do not have much control over the output that it is just a 10k volume pot that is also the load resister on the collector.  Couple that with it's High Pass input that filters around 300hz and below out.  If you take away that you just end up with a LPBooster sort of sounding thing.  And they were all Germanium to begin with so there is nothing new there.

They are also very touchy with their bias of about 7 volts and just the right transistor otherwise they don't sound right at all or at least not what we think they should sound like and No one seems to be able to get one sound like Tony Iommi or Beano area Clapton either.

They are a strange one that's for sure.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

clockwork green

I want some fuzz pedals that are designed for lower tunings. Not pedals that just have a ton of bass but a tight, natural bass and a vocal sort of midrange. I love the sound of old style Tonebender's, Supa Fuzz's (not super) and Buzzaround's but they're just not tuned well for the low stuff.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

Quote from: spookstrickland on November 10, 2011, 04:37:16 AM
Really the whole sound of a rangemaster is the fact that you do not have much control over the output that it is just a 10k volume pot that is also the load resister on the collector.  Couple that with it's High Pass input that filters around 300hz and below out.  If you take away that you just end up with a LPBooster sort of sounding thing.  And they were all Germanium to begin with so there is nothing new there.

They are also very touchy with their bias of about 7 volts and just the right transistor otherwise they don't sound right at all or at least not what we think they should sound like and No one seems to be able to get one sound like Tony Iommi or Beano area Clapton either.

I dont think I am taking those things away, If you dial the input cap to ~4.7nF and remove any high pass filtering, your more or less right back where a usual rangemaster is. I am just offering more than that.

Yea the Ge NOS bipolar junctions are all leaky and have loose tolerance thats for sure. I guess thats something you just accept in the end

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Baltar on November 10, 2011, 12:24:26 PM
Whatcha gonna charge?

dont know, but id like to hit it below 100, probably attempt to avoid a PCB to get it down

Baltar

NICE!  Might be a nice Christmas gift for myself!

dunwichamps

its just one transistor so i could do it on terminal strips or maybe even turret strips

spookstrickland

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 10, 2011, 10:18:09 AM

I dont think I am taking those things away, If you dial the input cap to ~4.7nF and remove any high pass filtering, your more or less right back where a usual rangemaster is. I am just offering more than that.

Yea the Ge NOS bipolar junctions are all leaky and have loose tolerance thats for sure. I guess thats something you just accept in the end

What I was saying is that if you take it out of those parameters that you end up with a EHX Linear Power booster which can be bought for peanuts already.  What would be far more valuable is a pedal that simulates the sound of a Rangemaster into screaming tube amp with out having to drive the input so hard and making it SS friendly.

Just my two cents.  I've Breadboarded and played around with both circuits quite a bit.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

dunwichamps

Quote from: spookstrickland on November 10, 2011, 05:08:59 PM

What I was saying is that if you take it out of those parameters that you end up with a EHX Linear Power booster which can be bought for peanuts already.  What would be far more valuable is a pedal that simulates the sound of a Rangemaster into screaming tube amp with out having to drive the input so hard and making it SS friendly.

Just my two cents.  I've Breadboarded and played around with both circuits quite a bit.

Yea there are a lot of boosters out there no doubt, and my idea is nothing new just, a slight tweak. I think its better than just a st8 clean, flat boost given the passive EQ tweaks but I can always breadboard it and check it out neways

Baltar

I already want one.  Please name it the "Rory" or something cool.

spookstrickland

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 10, 2011, 05:26:33 PM

Yea there are a lot of boosters out there no doubt, and my idea is nothing new just, a slight tweak. I think its better than just a st8 clean, flat boost given the passive EQ tweaks but I can always breadboard it and check it out neways

Well it will be a fun project anyway.  Good luck and let us hear the result

Cheers

:)
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

dunwichamps

Quote from: spookstrickland on November 11, 2011, 04:40:39 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on November 10, 2011, 05:26:33 PM

Well it will be a fun project anyway.  Good luck and let us hear the result

Cheers

:)

Spook

I appreciate the constructive criticism, not always easy to do.

Baltar

Maybe we can work out something on a simple proto in the winter

I am going to use some turret strips so it should be a easy job

Baltar

Do you order the housings from Pedal Parts Plus?  'Cause I'm terribly partial to the White Sparkle, or I could just order the housing and you send the guts.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Baltar on November 11, 2011, 11:42:29 AM
Do you order the housings from Pedal Parts Plus?  'Cause I'm terribly partial to the White Sparkle, or I could just order the housing and you send the guts.

Yes I use PPP, it could be white sparkle

Baltar

Baltar

The Blue Starlight comes highly recommened as well.

Aqua Illusion is more green than "aqua".  Deep Green sparkle.

dunwichamps

Baltar

Okay, but I wouldn't have the $$$ 'til December.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Baltar on November 11, 2011, 12:59:45 PM
Okay, but I wouldn't have the $$$ 'til December.

No prob I dont have the time til then either

BrianDamage

When you start building them let me know. I will be buying one fo sho. Trying to put money back for a FAC OFF at the moment.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003