What to get for next level.

Started by Dr. Skeeter, October 20, 2011, 07:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Ok I'm back Wha Hoppen>??

Fuckn Ancient Warlocks Rulllzz.  Gasmask metal yOOOO!!! 

imma drunk now
No Focus Pocus

Dr. Skeeter

I'll hit you guys up when I purchase stuff.
Any other links would be recommended.
Thanks for everything.

Derelict78

www.google.com
also go to your local music stores and play through EVERYTHING. Find out what YOU like

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Lumpy on October 20, 2011, 09:38:25 PM
Preamps aren't necessary if you have a good bass. Why would they be necessary. You can just throw an EQ pedal in front, or a fuzz with EQ if you need EQ.

I've played bass directly through a power amp, nothing else, and it sounds good... loud and clean. If I had needed to EQ, I would have needed to add something. I didn't. Bass -->Fuzz--->  power amp: sounds great.

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 20, 2011, 09:35:35 PM
He's just saying what I've said earlier, you can use a fuzz/overdrive/distortion/boost pedal as a preamp, you have to have at least one of these between your bass and a power amp

No you don't.
as the words ass and dumb float through my mind :)

Lumpy

LOL, the words "you can't do that!" float through my mind (since it's already been done, with flying colors).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

i bet the dude who said you don't need a pre amp has an active bass.

anyone want to bet a 2x4 of red stripe on it?

also, think about this. if you want fuzz? get a big muff ($40 used), a behringer EQ pedal ($20) and a used power amp for $100-$150. under $220 for that stuff. then spend as much $ as you can on a speaker cab.

Hemisaurus

I didn't want to fuel the fire of confusion and misunderstanding, so I figured either he has an active bass (which is a preamp) or is using a slave amp, not a power amp, which takes a lower level of signal.

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 21, 2011, 06:08:09 PM
I didn't want to fuel the fire of confusion and misunderstanding, so I figured either he has an active bass (which is a preamp) or is using a slave amp, not a power amp, which takes a lower level of signal.

I liked your first answer better. ;)

(That it probably depends on the amp).

I did direct input (bass----->power amp) with a Sunn SA20 (old-ass PA amp that costs about 150 bucks). Ideal, certainly not. But we're talking about a 400 dollar budget, so ideal has nothing to do with it.

Lumpy

If I was trying build a good bass setup cheap, the first thing I would buy is a big cabinet (2x15 or 8x10, as already discussed) and get whatever decent head I could afford after that. Even a weak head will sound loud through an 8x10. After you save some money, get a better amp.

Also, this guy is not going to be moving from bedroom combo amp, right up to rocking the big stage. He doesn't need a 'pro' setup. Especially if he only has 400 dollars to spend, and maybe not even a driver's license yet.

VOLVO)))

I've assembled fuckin' ace rigs for less than 400 bucks, guys. I don't think we're looking in the right direction.

Then again, maybe we have a different definition of "pro."

My 370, and my 8x10 cost me a grand total of 275... my 2x15 was only 75 bucks...

That Peavey poweramp only cost me 80 bucks... You could use a goddamned Behringer mixer as a preamp?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-6094&utm_source=googleps

I consider any rig that is considered "gigworthy" to be pro. Doesn't matter what you paid for it, or how you acquired it. Just how you make it sound.

The only thing I've ever payed a stupid price for was my Model T, and the next most expensive thing I've ever bought was my Tele, which was 300 bucks at GC, but I traded in a Korean Dean From Hell, with a case, that I paid 169 bucks for at a pawn shop. Straight trade, and I even got the most recent edition of the "Guitar Players Repair Guide" out of the deal.

I am a bargain shopper. I am frugal as fuck, in terms of what I'll spend on gear.

My equation to getting that JCM800 was Fender deville at pawn shop +Missing preamp tube + 399 dollar price tag. I talked them down to 75 bucks. Walked with it, popped in a preamp tube. Didn't work. Popped in a different preamp tube. WORKED. Buddy with an unused 800 offered me a straight trade for it. Hot diggity. 75 dollar + preamp tube = JCM800.

You just gotta look around for a bit to find proper shit.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Yamaha B100 $50
Peavey 2x15. $50
Peavey 5'er.  $75

Gigged it :)

Lumpy

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 21, 2011, 11:06:37 PM
You just gotta look around for a bit to find proper shit.

Yes indeedy. You want to score a deal on good gear, you might need to spend some serious time looking. Either spend a bunch of money, spend time looking on Craigs List and other websites, or get really lucky. When I'm looking for a piece of gear, I look at Craigs List and Ebay every day. There are people who look at Craigs List multiple times per day.

Also, be a little flexible about what you can use. There is a whole bunch of worthy used gear out there. It's great if people recommend a specific amp or whatever, but when you're buying used/cheap, you might never see that amp turn up. Go with something good that's available, unless you can afford to wait it out. When you do spot that great deal, be ready to pounce.

Lumpy

A/S/L ??

Here's a QSC GX3 power amp for 150 bucks, rated at 500 watts (per channel) at 4 ohms. You could drive two big-ass cabs with this, if you wanted to (start w/ one). Or, has a built in crossover if you want a bass cab/guitar cab type situation.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/2655227989.html

(Long Island)

Just put a distortion or some pedals/whatever in front (I didn't say you shouldn't do that, only that it's true sometimes you don't have to). ONE HUNDRED FIFTY.

Hemisaurus

'cept the kid is broke, and lives in Nashville  :-*

Is gear normally that cheap round NY? Round here people want $250 for some 20 year old Peavey that ways a tonne and does 180W per channel.

Those GX's are nice and light, a buddy of mine has two in his PA setup.

Chovie D

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 22, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
'cept the kid is broke, and lives in Nashville  :-*

Is gear normally that cheap round NY? Round here people want $250 for some 20 year old Peavey that ways a tonne and does 180W per channel.

Those GX's are nice and light, a buddy of mine has two in his PA setup.

I was under the impression nashville had lots of good cheap used vintage gear??
IN fact Ive bought alot of stuff from people in nashville...great vintage peices for cheap.
I've only passed thru so I certainly wouldnt know, but I had the impression the pickins were pretty good there??

I dont know much about bass amplification frankly. My bass rig is a 1968 Sunn1200s 120 watt tube amp, $275 bought here in seattle in 2004ish? and a marshall 2x15 bass cab i bought from jake on this forum for I cant remember...$375? People drool over the rig and I gotta say it sdoes sound really good. But it came together with no thought. My philosophy has always been to use whatever is at hand, and to look for crazy good deals in the meantime. It helps to know whats considered good deal i guess and wht is considered good gear. ampegs, I like fenders, I like old tube amps i guess....

Blueberry Lazer

Damn Sunn, those beta clips were righteous especially the song your recorded. Is that a 4ohm cab your plugging into? We have got to jam sometime

Iron Mtn

There are lots of options for amps & cabs. A proper, potent, reliable, powerful gig/tour worthy rig can easily be obtained for $500 or less. Tubes are nice but for bass are not generally necessary.

Peavey offers the best bang for the buck period. Hell even their tube guitar amps with a bass eq would make a fine setup.

Acoustic sounds fantastic & can be found for a reasonable price as well.

If tubes are what you really want, a Traynor YBA 3 can be found for under $600 & sounds amazing.

I would listen to Sunn & Hemi, those guys know amps & will steer you in the right direction....

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 22, 2011, 10:43:53 AM

Nope, it's hard to find a good deal on anything here, including used items (everything gets picked over and snapped up quick). Craigs List does have some good deals on music gear though, if you're patient. Gotta browse there daily, then do some research when something potentially interesting pops up.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Lumpy

Aww, thanks...  :-*

I don't know how amps work, I just love to shop  ;)

liquidsmoke

For $400 you could get this set up-

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B200H-200W-Bass-Head-and-B115-250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package-483494-i1415333.gc

and then add another 15 or a 4x10 later when you have the money. I've never played one but people seem to like them for the price. I think most bass players would find this set up to be loud enough.

SoupKitchen

Are you in Nashville? I'm in Clarksville. N'ville Craigslist has good stuff. I've bought a ton of stuff on there. Peavey heads are everywhere around here. I've got a few for sale, but I'd rather not shill around this forum just yet. Also, go to Sam Ash by Rivergate and GC in 100 Oaks. Keep an eye out for used stuff. Watch Craigslist and Back page. Stuff's out there, and not too expensive. I second the power amp notion. Heck, if you wanted to, run a power amp off your Peavey. Most Peaveys produced in the last 40 years have a preamp out or booster out. Just find a good cabinet, get a power amp, you're out 400 right there. Build on that.