Main Menu

Les Pauls

Started by Pundan, August 25, 2011, 11:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pundan

Hey,
Just got my salary and need to burn cash. I've wanted to get a Les Paul for years now and my SG is looking awfully lonely in the jam room. So there's this guy at my work who at least think he knows much about the Les Paul. He said that I should look for a second hand 80's or early 90's Standard (these go for about 1900$-2100$ in Sweden, yeah that's fucked up) but I'm kind of into the Customs from the 70's, but they're more expensive. I really like the look of them, but I'm not really wanting to shell out more cash just because of looks.

I'm after the "classic Les Paul" basically, a very heavy guitar with extreme sustain.

What do you guys recommend? I've never bought a guitar that cost me more than 5000 SEK ($790) and I'm kind of at that point where I want to buy myself a high-end guitar that'll last long. I know there's a difference between the 50's and 60's neck and I believe the 50's is thicker right? Also I've been looking into newer Paul's, but I don't want a chambered body so then I guess only the Traditional's the shit right?

I'm pretty much low on information, so your sincere and honest opinion will do just fine! :)

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Discö Rice

VOLVO)))

Been lusting for that Agile for a year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

It's beautiful. I'm not so into Les Pauls anymore, but I'd snap that fucker up in a heartbeat if I had the necessary greenbacks.

bitter

good choices. I dig the super swede RI and have recently considered picking up an Agile AL-3000 model.

pure bonesauce...

http://www.rondomusic.com/al30002tsflamehum.html
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

+1 on the Hagstrom, buy local, fuck those damn Yankees and their illegal wood ;)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 25, 2011, 03:08:32 PM
+1 on the Hagstrom, buy local, fuck those damn Yankees and their illegal wood ;)

hagstroms are awesome.

buuuut: i'd buy a epiphone and upgrade it (ducks).

Discö Rice

Chovie D

Ive been wanting a les paul ever since i foolishly sold my 1983  Les paul deluxe almost 20 years ago. easy come easy go i guess.

anyway, I want an 80's tobacco burst standard. I too would prefer a custom but they are too expensive for me.
These guitars go for $1200-$2000 used here in the USA in this current economy

Jake

As much as Gibson rubs me the wrong way in almost every conceivable way, I have to admit that the only way to 100% scratch an itch for a Les Paul is to get a Les Paul.

That being said, there are dozens of ways to 80, 90, even 98% scratch that itch. Many of which are listed above, and I fully support all of them. The "path less taken" kind of thing.

PS, buy used!
poop.

Baltar

My first guitar was a '92 Studio.  Most guys that played it agreed that it was a pretty good one.  And I grew up near Kalamazoo.  The early '90s Gibsons are known to be pretty good.  I sold mine for what I paid for it which was $600 U.S.
Aim for one of those if you can find one.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Instant Dan

Look for the Orville LP's and Burny lawsuit guitars. Afterthat, definitely Hagstrom.

doomhawk

Quote from: Chovie D on August 25, 2011, 04:07:39 PM
Ive been wanting a les paul ever since i foolishly sold my 1983  Les paul deluxe almost 20 years ago. easy come easy go i guess.

anyway, I want an 80's tobacco burst standard. I too would prefer a custom but they are too expensive for me.
These guitars go for $1200-$2000 used here in the USA in this current economy

my favorite color, i found my 74 for 1300 a couple years back.  its the dick and the balls.

sorry had to post it.

Pundan

Quote from: Jake on August 25, 2011, 04:11:14 PM
As much as Gibson rubs me the wrong way in almost every conceivable way, I have to admit that the only way to 100% scratch an itch for a Les Paul is to get a Les Paul.

That being said, there are dozens of ways to 80, 90, even 98% scratch that itch. Many of which are listed above, and I fully support all of them. The "path less taken" kind of thing.

PS, buy used!
Totally know what you mean. I know that just because it says Gibson on the head stock doesn't make it a better guitar in any kind of way and I'll probably definitely pay more. I own a Tokai Silverstar from 1982, I bought that when I really had to get a good strat so I know that other brands can be just as good. There's no real good way to justify that you'll spend more money on a guitar just because of the brand name, I guess it's mostly childhood dreams wanting to come true. ;)

I've thought about checking out eBay and so forth, I mainly look at Swedish alternatives since I'm really not keen in shipping a guitar across the world. My Tokai came from Japan and there was no issues at all, but it always feel risky. Also there's a big down side with buying from outside the European Union since I have to pay extra VAT for all items, 25% of the total price to be precise.

I'm definitely going to check out some Hagström guitars some more, I really don't like the head stock design of them though, but otherwise those guitars look pretty sweet. Anyways, I asked for your guys sincere opinions and that's what I got! If someone still like to share some of their Gibson Les Paul knowledge, like if there's any specific years they were extra good or anything I'm still listening. ;)

Hemisaurus

I've got a buddy that raves about the Hagstrom truss rod system, says it beats all others, if that helps swing you.

Really the bare bones of a LP are good solid Mahogany body, set neck and humbuckers, there's no magic mojo per se, just a good basic foundation, built well, the Hagstrom seems to have all that too.

Pundan

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 25, 2011, 05:59:23 PM
I've got a buddy that raves about the Hagstrom truss rod system, says it beats all others, if that helps swing you.

Really the bare bones of a LP are good solid Mahogany body, set neck and humbuckers, there's no magic mojo per se, just a good basic foundation, built well, the Hagstrom seems to have all that too.
Hehe, no love for Gibson here? ;)

I found a pretty nice Super Swede from the 70's for sale, the asking price is $1736.

There's also a shitload of Hagström accordians for sale.

Well I think I pretty much know what I'm after, thanks though.

Chovie D

Quote from: Pundan on August 25, 2011, 06:05:54 PM

I found a pretty nice Super Swede from the 70's for sale, the asking price is $1736.

I want a GIBSON les paul standard myself. 80's would be good enough for me tho Id prefer 70's.
Tobacco sunburst standard. They tend to be about $1500-$200 here in the USA used tho and I just have too many other guitars to justify that expense..i should be selling not buying.
anyway for price comparison, thats what they go for here in this economy.

Pundan

Quote from: Chovie D on August 25, 2011, 06:09:22 PM

I want a GIBSON les paul standard myself. 80's would be good enough for me tho Id prefer 70's.
Tobacco sunburst standard. They tend to be about $1500-$200 here in the USA used tho and I just have too many other guitars to justify that expense..i should be selling not buying.
anyway for price comparison, thats what they go for here in this economy.

Cool, thanks! I recently became interested in Aluminum neck guitars as well so I guess this year will be expensive. A guitar tech I know have said it best: "Musicians buy gear with a certain resale value only to be able to sell them again when they're in need of drugs."

Hemisaurus

Not no love of Gibson, but your in Sweden, your probably best getting a local guitar, best bang for your buck and all that. I'd love a Warwick bass, but too much over here, they don't even import their amps.

Pundan

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 25, 2011, 06:18:39 PM
Not no love of Gibson, but your in Sweden, your probably best getting a local guitar, best bang for your buck and all that. I'd love a Warwick bass, but too much over here, they don't even import their amps.
I'd say Gibson and Fender are on the more expensive side in Sweden rather than Hagström, but I'm willing to look for a good deal too. I'm not going to rush into anything - and I'm not willing to pay huge sums either. Mentioning Gibson is like mentioning anything good about Matamp UK when Wheeler was around on the old forums ;).

Yeah but point taken, it may have sounded like I just wanted to get out and get the first Les Paul that was available, that isn't the thing. I've wanted one of these guitars for many, many years and now I'm finally at a level of playing where I feel I can shell out that extra sum of cash to get what I want.

A member from Kongh works at a company near my town that imports Warwick amps and basses by the way, the company I work for do all of their logistics so we have loads of Warwick basses at my work.

RAGER

I would fall to pieces if anything should happen to my '78 Standard.  i have dreams about this sometimes.  I wake up gasping

No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

bitter

Is that $1736 SEK??????

Yeah, Hagström got their start doing German accordions for the polka lovers out there. 8)

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan