Main Menu

Les Pauls

Started by Pundan, August 25, 2011, 11:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pundan

The asking price is 10995 SEK, I used Google yesterday (10995 SEK in USD) and got the exchange rate :)

Ayek

My guitarist just dropped 5k (about $4100 US) on a new silverburst LP custom. Everything's expensive here but, yeah... I couldn't do that. He had been looking for a 70's or 80's but I think after a couple of missed chances this was a bit of an impulse buy.Though is does sound that bit better than his Epi that he had upgraded the pups on I must say. He said it plays better too.

MichaelZodiac

A close friend of mine swears by Les Pauls. He has near to ten Les Pauls: vintage, new, Studio's, Customs... Even he has to admit that a new Gibson isn't really a decent guitar but as he is responsible for the buy-in of a huge musicshop (like a GC) he just gets them for a decent price.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Necromancer

Quote from: Instant Dan on August 25, 2011, 04:35:59 PM
Look for the Orville LP's and Burny lawsuit guitars. Afterthat, definitely Hagstrom.

It has the cheesy photo top, but it is still awesome. WCR pickups for good measure. 8)

liquidsmoke

I'm kind of itching to buy one of those $200-300 carved top Epi Pauls because my Epi Junior Special not being carved top kind of bothers my picking arm a bit. I'm wondering at what level they start actually sound like Les Pauls though. To me my Junior even with a Super Distortion does kind of have that Gibson sound over say a super low end Ibanez or Jackson type heavy metal guitar but it could just all be in my head. If I could go back in time about 8 years I would have spent the extra cash and gotten the cheapest Gibson Paul available over the faded Gibson SG I did buy but I will say that for $550 that SG is pretty nice but it's my standard E guitar and doesn't get played much these days.

Volume

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 25, 2011, 06:18:39 PM
Not no love of Gibson, but your in Sweden, your probably best getting a local guitar, best bang for your buck and all that. I'd love a Warwick bass, but too much over here, they don't even import their amps.

The new Hagströms are made in Korea(?) so they're not exactly local. If you want a local guitar it would be something hand-made by a luthier and that would cost you $2500 and upwards. You can't really compare prices in Europe (especially Scandinavia) and the US, where for us everything is dirt cheap. And if we want to order from overseas we have to pay shipping, customs and tax so either way it's going to cost you.

Best bang for the buck would be some Korean LP copy, but that's not a Gibson LP. Like Jake said only a Gibson LP will scratch that itch and there's nothing wrong with that. I've often payed for mojo (or whatever you want to call it), like my vintage Orange for example. I could have gotten a great amp for a lot cheaper, but every time I come to our practice space I get a huge grin on my face only from looking at it and a even bigger one from cranking it and chugging away some riffs. It's hard to put a price tag on inspiration, but I know my Epi LP (a decent guitar) does nothing for me, it's just a slab of wood and some wires. I know I'd feel completely different about a Gibson LP, especially since I've also been gassing for one for as long as I've played guitar.

You might want to check out the classic/traditionals, they tend to be a bit cheaper than standards. A friend of mine has one and he's happy with it.

RageofKlugman

Have you ever tried looking on www.thomann.de? It's a massive online music store based in Germany and pretty cheap by European standards. As it's inthe EU you'd avoid paying customs charges and the like on stuff you ordered from there. The prices are denominated in Euros and, even allowing for that, compare pretty favourably to what you'd pay in the UK.

Pundan

Quote from: Volume on September 02, 2011, 07:22:34 AM
The new Hagströms are made in Korea(?) so they're not exactly local. If you want a local guitar it would be something hand-made by a luthier and that would cost you $2500 and upwards. You can't really compare prices in Europe (especially Scandinavia) and the US, where for us everything is dirt cheap. And if we want to order from overseas we have to pay shipping, customs and tax so either way it's going to cost you.

Best bang for the buck would be some Korean LP copy, but that's not a Gibson LP. Like Jake said only a Gibson LP will scratch that itch and there's nothing wrong with that. I've often payed for mojo (or whatever you want to call it), like my vintage Orange for example. I could have gotten a great amp for a lot cheaper, but every time I come to our practice space I get a huge grin on my face only from looking at it and a even bigger one from cranking it and chugging away some riffs. It's hard to put a price tag on inspiration, but I know my Epi LP (a decent guitar) does nothing for me, it's just a slab of wood and some wires. I know I'd feel completely different about a Gibson LP, especially since I've also been gassing for one for as long as I've played guitar.

You might want to check out the classic/traditionals, they tend to be a bit cheaper than standards. A friend of mine has one and he's happy with it.
Hey, thanks for the input! Yeah, there's really no sane way to compare prices between Scandinavia and US, everything is like 50% cheaper in the States. I totally get what you mean about paying for mojo. Money isn't the issue - what I was originally asking for was some direction of what to look for and pretty much everybody has been telling me not to buy a Gibson but haven't really stated a why besides the price. I kinda knew that was coming though.

I think I'll go the vintage way so I'm going to look for Les Paul's made up until the early 90's starting from the 70's. I just gotta wait for the right opportunity to get one :)

Quote from: RageofKlugman on September 02, 2011, 08:00:32 AM
Have you ever tried looking on www.thomann.de? It's a massive online music store based in Germany and pretty cheap by European standards. As it's inthe EU you'd avoid paying customs charges and the like on stuff you ordered from there. The prices are denominated in Euros and, even allowing for that, compare pretty favourably to what you'd pay in the UK.

I buy all my accessories from Thomann so I know of them. As I said above I'm pretty much going to look into the more vintage guitars, second hand/used or whatever they're called. But perhaps I'll scout around for a Classic/Traditional, I gotta read up on them more though.

Again thanks for the suggestions both of you!

Pissy

Man, right now I need money pretty badly and I'd get rid of the '90 Std I got.

Not sure how much, but I'm not sure it matters given the issues concerning shipping a mahogany/ebony/rosewood guitar across international borders.  I wouldn't attempt it right now.
only issue it has aside from honest wear, is a finish blemish behind the bridge.  about 3cm in diameter, but you have to hold it in the right light to see it.  you can feel it pretty easily.

Lordfinesse rocking it here in Charlotte.

Vinyls.   deal.

liquidsmoke

Anyone have an opinion as to what the least expensive new guitar made today with the Les Paul shape that more or less offers the classic thick Les Paul tone? Not pickups, just body, neck, etc.

MikeyT

"Hey, thanks for the input! Yeah, there's really no sane way to compare prices between Scandinavia and US, everything is like 50% cheaper in the States. I totally get what you mean about paying for mojo. Money isn't the issue - what I was originally asking for was some direction of what to look for and pretty much everybody has been telling me not to buy a Gibson but haven't really stated a why besides the price. I kinda knew that was coming though."

"I think I'll go the vintage way so I'm going to look for Les Paul's made up until the early 90's starting from the 70's. I just gotta wait for the right opportunity to get one."

I'd go for a Gibson Les Paul Custom from 1969 on. Gotta have that Ebony board for a little more clarity.
They sound great through a Mesa Boogie. Ask Keith Richard.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

moose23

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 05, 2011, 04:55:20 AM
Anyone have an opinion as to what the least expensive new guitar made today with the Les Paul shape that more or less offers the classic thick Les Paul tone? Not pickups, just body, neck, etc.

Probably Agile if you're in the states but I picked up a ridiculously cheap Korean made Maison Les Paul a few years ago which kicks all the Epiphones I've tried asses.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: moose23 on September 05, 2011, 03:45:39 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 05, 2011, 04:55:20 AM

Probably Agile if you're in the states but I picked up a ridiculously cheap Korean made Maison Les Paul a few years ago which kicks all the Epiphones I've tried asses.

Which Agile models are pretty close? How much do you have to spend? Are Epiphones just not made with the right wood or it is more that the quality control isn't there?

moose23

Someone else will have tell you which Agiles are best, yeah with Epiphone I think the QC is the main problem, that a shitty tuners etc

Metal and Beer

Quality varies widely across the Epiphone name, from 99-dollar pieces of junk to the Les Paul Customs that are often better than many Gibson LP Standards. One opinion or observation on one Epiphone will certainly not be true for all of them.

.02, YMMV, etc.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Instant Dan

That Epiphone Nick Valensi is one awesome semi-hollow. The Epiphone Elites are very nice as well.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Metal and Beer on September 06, 2011, 03:32:49 PM
Quality varies widely across the Epiphone name, from 99-dollar pieces of junk to the Les Paul Customs that are often better than many Gibson LP Standards. One opinion or observation on one Epiphone will certainly not be true for all of them.

.02, YMMV, etc.

My Epi Junior Special was $88 brand new and it's very nice for the price. I've probably said that on here half a dozen times though. I would like to upgrade but refuse to spend more than a few hundred bucks. Quality control is one reason I'm skeptical about ordering an Agile. With Epiphone at least I can go in the store and try to sort out the lemons. Spending money at Guitar Center makes me feel like a fascist but there are few other options if one wants to play before they buy.