Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

That's a really tall & narrow amp. I suppose that's why the controls are layed out vertically.
poop.

bbottom

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 08, 2013, 12:56:31 PM

Yayyy

I had one of those like ten years ago and I really regret selling it. Enjoy!!!

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: clockwork green on June 07, 2013, 09:34:55 PM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on June 05, 2013, 09:00:23 AM

I hate you. I hope your tubes have AIDS.

The were Groove Tubes, so they did. One was shorted. replaced them all now.

xayk

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 08, 2013, 12:56:31 PM

Yayyy

Dig. I constantly threaten to buy one but never follow through.

I replaced the speakers in my ultralinear Twin today. The markings on them have lead me exactly nowhere, and they both sounded like shit and were unreasonably quiet. Went with an Emi Swamp Thang & Tonespotter combo, and it's now a fire-breathing behemoth. I'm happy.

Lumpy

Quote from: xayk on June 08, 2013, 09:05:58 PM
I replaced the speakers in my ultralinear Twin today. The markings on them have lead me exactly nowhere, and they both sounded like shit and were unreasonably quiet. Went with an Emi Swamp Thang & Tonespotter combo, and it's now a fire-breathing behemoth. I'm happy.

Nice.

My ex-bandmate has a Fender 2x12 that sounds like crap, but he wouldn't dream of replacing the speakers because it's "Fender".  ::)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

VOLVO)))

yeah, and it sounds fucking incredible.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

VOLVO)))

Unfortunately, I have to sell it. I bought it with some spoken-for funds. (bill money, lol)  (soon as somebody buys this snare, Dean, you can have yours hahah)

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

So it's awesome, but not quite awesome enough to displace one of your keepers?

VOLVO)))

Erm, well, I have the Dual Rec, and the 800. Neither can ever go anywhere. The beta? That's just my shop amp, at this point.

The Traynor was cheap enough that I could probably keep it and not feel bad, but I got it for such a good deal, I should flip it and square myself with you, and throw money at other projects (like finally putting frets in my kramer, which I got the tools for, today.)

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Can't argue with that then.   :)

VOLVO)))

I dunno, i got to play it, I love it a lot, but between those two amps, I have absolutely no use for it. So far the only playing I've done is the "one note tone drool."

played some Kyuss through it...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 09, 2013, 12:22:35 AM"one note tone drool."
I love that "one note tone drool". Every time I go to rehearsal, the sound of my Scrambler clone into my Supercollider is fucking riff heaven. Kinda like the droning notes at the end of At Giza but with more fuzz (I didn't even know that was possible).

Nice amp!

Wish I had some new gear acquisitions.. Looking into to getting a local guy building me and a couple of other dudes a nice cheap theremin just for random noise generation. Perfect for intro's/outro's. I'm not going to play melodies with it so no need to get a Moog theremin.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Pissy

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 09, 2013, 12:22:35 AM
I dunno, i got to play it, I love it a lot, but between those two amps, I have absolutely no use for it. So far the only playing I've done is the "one note tone drool."

played some Kyuss through it...

I had one and I loaned (with intent to buy) it out to a dude with poor money habits. He sold it and never paid me. I haven't seen him since, but I doubt I'll acknowledge him if I do.

Funny thing is, the guy that bought it used to show it off at the rehearsal space. He was so proud of it, then he had it hot-rodded and was proud of that too. I didn't have the heart to explain to him it was my fucking amp. Wasn't his fault other dude was a thieving schiester.

They sound great though. I wouldn't bother modding one like so many people want to do to them these days. I think they sound great stock.

The bigger brother YBA-1A is pretty boss as well. Great bass head.
Vinyls.   deal.

grimniggzy

Corey Y

The YBA-1 sounds killer stock. My '70 model is my favorite amp. It sounded even better/louder after I got it recapped and serviced too. Definitely a "one note tone drool" amp...love that. That's how I feel every time I plug mine in to test something (guitar, bass, cab, whatevs) real quick.

taylo)))r

Trades acquired from the bandit

(insert interesting quote)

The Shocker

When you get to play them?  Hope you like em.

Jake

One important note about those Fender Wide Range RI pups -- they sound pretty lifeless and muddy with the 250k pots that come standard with them (at least w/ the Tele Deluxes I've had). A set of 500k pots for me was huuuuuuge difference in tone. They keep the thick lows and have a really nice sparkly spank. Love em. Love em enough to have put the Gibsons down and never looked back.

Also, I'm pretty intrigued to hear what you think about that short scale Mustang neck. Especially since you tune pretty dang low.
poop.

taylo)))r

Quote from: Jake on June 12, 2013, 10:37:13 AM
One important note about those Fender Wide Range RI pups -- they sound pretty lifeless and muddy with the 250k pots that come standard with them (at least w/ the Tele Deluxes I've had). A set of 500k pots for me was huuuuuuge difference in tone. They keep the thick lows and have a really nice sparkly spank. Love em. Love em enough to have put the Gibsons down and never looked back.

Also, I'm pretty intrigued to hear what you think about that short scale Mustang neck. Especially since you tune pretty dang low.

It will need to visit my luthier for sure, and he is a wizzard, so im sure he can work something out. If I like it enough I suppose I could always get a new neck if the short scale bothers me. Thanks for the tip about the pots, i'm going to have swap them out. I also won an Avedissian humbucker recently from that Dunwitch Amp contest, so I may throw that in there to see how it sounds. It plays nice, a little weird on the little neck, but I haven't plugged it into the or120 yet. That will be the true test.

RacerX

You can't change a short scale guitar's scale by simply changing the neck. You need to move the bridge, too.
Livin' The Life.

The Bandit

Hey, Scott Hill in the Fu used a short scale back in the early days so stoner rockin is possible with one. 

taylo)))r

Quote from: RacerX on June 12, 2013, 01:01:33 PM
You can't change a short scale guitar's scale by simply changing the neck. You need to move the bridge, too.

I know...this aint my first rodeo.