Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

A Plush is cabinet probably not worth pursuing except for the novelty of it. The padding absorbs sound and adds weight, and the original speakers wouldn't be anything special. So if you're going to use different speakers, why put them in a cabinet like that, except unless you think it's fun to have a matching set. Which I could understand. The upholstery is so wrong that it's right. A lot of the upholstered cabinets are chewed up because they were hard to move and the dings can really show, as rips and scuffs.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

James1214

I dunno that I'd agree that the upholstery absorbs much sound. I really enjoy how my Kustom 315 plays, used it for guitar with an earth superbass b2000 before I got my Acoustic rig all sorted out.

words

words

Muffin Man

won't add up to a hill of beans

RAGER

It would be more novelty to have a matching cab.  I doubt it would have any bearing on the overall sound other than how the cab is engineered and constructed.  It's a cheap knock off of a Twin so I doubt the cab would be anything special but just kinda neat to look at. 

I still haven't dialed in a sound I like other than clean clean clean with that reverb and trem.  Which is not my go to approach.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Get a Plush cab and do an A/B test with your other cabs, or run white noise through different cabs, record and compare waveforms in Logic or another DAW. Report back!

Back in the day, someone nearby was giving away an Earth 2x15 cab which matched my B2000 head (black, the best color). Of course I grabbed it. The drivers died within a couple days. I tried to offer the empty box to a nearby music store, and they declined.

RAGER

Ain't nobody got time for dat.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Picked up my new cab this morning. It's the top one. Original 30 watt black backs. Sounds killer. Just playing through the top one for now. Since I'm using an attenuator I need to install a second jack so I can daisy chain into the attenuator.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Oh yeah. The previous owner was Tommy Tutone so I of course had to learn Jenny right away. Easy song but cool riff.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

beautiful. what do you like better the marshalls or the orange?

best sounding cab i ever bought was a used ampeg 4x10. i got it at a music store in phoenix. happed to be out near the place doing deliveries and figured id stop. had no intent on buying anything. a friend was working there at the time and he cut me a deal. i think i paid 250. its a usa made ampeg, year unknown, built like a piece of military equipment. awesome sounding cab. i was playing through a genz benz stack prior to buying the ampeg. the ampeg was so much better. i want to say this was like 2000 maybe 2001.
funny thing is about a year ago i was cleaning it and i pulled the grill off. i noticed the wood where the speakers were in was split. not sure why i never noticed it in all the years. probably had been dropped. its still my main cab to this day. bottom cab. the top is a chinese 1x15.

RAGER

I love them both. They're so different. The big difference is I have to use an overdrive in front of the Marshall to get what I want and I don't want anything in front of the Orange.

I told my guy to alert me of any HIWATT stuff. My wife is probably concerned. I keep telling her it's money in the bank. When I croak she gets it all.

I think I have a Hartke 4x10 or maybe it's a 1x15 somewhere. It's yours if you want it.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

id def take the hartke especially if its a 4x10. not sure how the fuck id get it though.

RAGER

I'll dig it out and see. We'll figure it out.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Uh oh. Haven't pulled the trigger yet........

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Just a matter of time if i know you.

RAGER

I put it on layaway until the other recent purchases/xmas blow over.  Can't be bringing home a new amp just yet.  I like my balls where they are.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Wheres that? In your wifes purse?

RAGER

Yes. And not in a meat grinder.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

I played a Gretsch G5260 and fell in love. The trigger might be pulled imminently...

RAGER

Cool. Are they carved top like a LP? 
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Oh shit. It's a baritone. Fun. Do it! 
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Those Electromatics look good!

RAGER

I'm in love with HIWATT wiring. Look at this thing.

No Focus Pocus

renfield

RAGER

No Focus Pocus