Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

How does it sound through some fuzz?

Lumpy

Looks great. Is that a cello case in the background?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

renfield

Good eye Lumpy

I'll report back on the fuzz, just brought it home yesterday and haven't had time to dig in yet

Lumpy

I almost guessed double bass, lol.

I like the pegboard, I don't have any but I'm big on hooks and shelves. If I need a short cable, I don't want to dig it out of a box of spaghetti cables. That kind of stuff makes me want to die. I know a lot of people roll like that though.

renfield

Yeah ... this instrument is a revelation, the tone is just absurdly thick. I'm going to tune it down to like F standard and use it to open the portal

mortlock

Ive only once seen a band where the 'bassist' played one of those. It was a fender. Super deep thick bass tones and he was running some sort of fuzz pedal. Sounded great.
The thing was, he didnt do anything that he couldnt have done on a normal 4 string bass.
If you have one of those, make sure you write some shit that utilizes the range of that instrument.

RAGER

HIWATT in good company. Jolly group of lads.

This is by far the best combo amp I've ever owned. I could sell off the other big stuff when I'm too old to move that shit around but I'd keep this. Bad fucking ass. Wow!  Even bigger through that 1x12. I might by a REEVES 2x12 though I'm thinking.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

WTF jackson? This is the stupidest thing ive ever seen. Is it a jackson or a rick or a fender p bass?

Lumpy

James1214

Oooh, that's fugly.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

Lumpy

One pickup has a cover and the other does not (something for everyone)

5 knobs, what does the 5th one do. vol/tone/vol/tone/?

That bridge looks massive (so that's good)

I like green but not that "70s kitchen" green.

Ive seen worse though...

RAGER

It's really busy.

Did I mention I love my new HIWATT?  I took it apart last night.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Rather compact (small) and not a lot of parts. Kinda looks cheap. Makes you wonder.

Muffin Man

Here's the inside of an Orange Rocker 32. 2x10 stereo. Must have! Dual output trafo's!
Way more parts too. /justsayin'

Muffin Man

Wait Is that Hiwatt a 2x10? What are the frickin' output tubes?

RAGER

Huh.  Interesting take/observation and comparison to that Orange.  Even my 72 Orange has a circuit board.  People always think they're ptp.  The Marshall is ptp.

The inside of the HIWATT is a masterpiece of simplicity and cleanliness.  That's probably why it's so quiet.  But you touched on a point there.  These were made my Music Ground in Doncaster at the time.  HIWATT has changed hands many times over the years after Dave Reeves untimely demise.  I used to post on several vintage amps forums so about 2010 I think Music Ground was roundly sued for lashing up faux vintage amps and selling for big money.  Kirk Hammett was one of the bigger names that got duped.  The manufacture of the HIWATTs was not part of the nefarious shenanigans though.   They were honestly built just like the old ones but use Heyboer trannys instead of Partridges like the old ones.

Nowadays it's not quite clear who owns HIWATT.  That being said, if I were to want to go big HIWATT I would either get a real vintage DR or CP but those are a good bit of money.  If I were to want a new HIWATT repop I would go REEVES, HI-TONE, or Hylight.  I think the original parent company was called Hylight.  This is just rehashing the old name but that same old HIWATT quality wiring.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Oh and yes its a 2x10 with 2xEL84's
No Focus Pocus

James1214

That turret board wiring in the hiwatt is so damn clean it hurts my eyes.
words

Muffin Man

RAGER

Although EL84's aren't my first choice I have zero complaints. At 20 watts this thing is loud!  And super quiet at idle and there is a smoothness about it. Like how a super smooth sine wave is pleasing.

It could be modded for 6v6's but I won't. No reason to.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Yeah that's a great score to add to your stable. I've had 5-6 EL84 combo's, really good ones. Love that setup.

johnny problem

EL84s are nice.  I don't get why the hate.

RAGER

I'm just used to big bottles only cuz I normally play through 100 watters but this HIWATT is not lacking at all. It might be too clean for peeps that like saturation. I prefer more clean and overdriven. It makes me play harder and the slop stands out so THAT makes me try to play better.
No Focus Pocus

Danny G

+1 to James1214 chef's kiss re: Hiwatt wiring.

As Miles Davis would say, that is "clean as a motherfucker."

I have recently acquired a table saw, which means I'll be building roadcases again.

First projects are a new pedalboard for myself and a bandmate. Then cases for those to go in (I am abandoning the pop-the-lid-and-rock design I've been using almost 20 years in favor of a board that goes in a padded case, because almost 20 years of using previous design haha ugh)

Then a new Marshall headcase and two combo amp roadcases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

Also, the rack EQ I added to "tune up" my studio monitors is working great.

Pretty eye opening to get a mix where it should be and remove the low frequencies that don't need to be there and even turn the bass track down a touch as it's pretty pumping as-is.

Then I turn the EQ off... and it's like someone turned off the subwoofers at a show.

Headphones still sound great (that mix is *before* the EQ), but studio monitors sound flat and dead.

No wonder it felt like I had to *add* bass to everything, then listen to it in my car and the general mix is mud and the bass track is stupid loud.

These monitors suck for low end. But getting an EQ was cheaper than replacing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com