The Pro Co Rat, why is it so popular?

Started by Instant Dan, March 16, 2011, 07:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesogkan

Variation is just what I need...and I think I found one on craigslist. Freakin' sweet.

Volume

Quote from: grimniggzy on March 21, 2011, 09:28:16 AM

But really, if you get one from the early 90's I don't see why you'd even have to mess w/ the circuit at all.
I use one from that time un-modified for bass.

The Keeley version has three modes, classic RAT, Fat RAT and Mighty Mouse. The classic mode cuts a lot of low end so I never use it, for me the Fat RAT mode is far superior. The Mighty Mouse mode also has more low end compared to classic but less distortion on tap. It's a great pedal, can't recommend it enough.

Baltar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Co_RAT

This will link you to every mod.  The Ruetz is the easiest one.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Wesogkan

Think $75 is too much for a cosmetically beat to crap, but otherwise fine sounding pedal from the mid '80's?

Not to get off topic or anything, but has anyone heard a Boss MT-2 with the Keely mod? I'm sooooo curious as to whether it's worth it to send it in or try to mod mine myself. I know people freakin' hate them but I've been using one for at least 15 years.

grimniggzy

I wouldn't say $75 is a bad price at all
Haven't ever heard a Metal Zone with the Keeley Mod, but it's supposed to be ridiculous sounding.
I think its actually alright sounding to begin with. My brother used to use one when we played in a band together a few years ago but he ended up ditching it.

Quote from: Wesogkan on March 23, 2011, 11:38:06 AM
Think $75 is too much for a cosmetically beat to crap, but otherwise fine sounding pedal from the mid '80's?

Not to get off topic or anything, but has anyone heard a Boss MT-2 with the Keely mod? I'm sooooo curious as to whether it's worth it to send it in or try to mod mine myself. I know people freakin' hate them but I've been using one for at least 15 years.

Baltar

There's nothing wrong with Boss pedals as long as you mod them.  Keeley wouldn't bother with a circuit if it wasn't worth it. 
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

LogicalFrank

Some of them sound great w/o mods. Heavy Metal pedal is great and so is the Hyper Fuzz. The biggest problem is they break.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

grimniggzy

Shit, I even like the DS-1 (Al from OM agrees)

also, the Boss OC-2 is pretty much the only affordable, easily atainable analog octave pedal worth a damn.

Wesogkan

My Metal Zone has been a tank so far...so the mod is looking better and better. With any luck I'll have an older RAT pedal tonight, we'll see how that sounds.

Wesogkan

'87 RAT achieved...cannot believe what these are going for on Ebay, ridiculous.

spookstrickland

I'm guessing the 3 mods are:  Stock diodes, LED's and then No diodes?  you should take a gut shot and post it.

Quote from: Volume on March 23, 2011, 03:05:43 AM
Quote from: grimniggzy on March 21, 2011, 09:28:16 AM

But really, if you get one from the early 90's I don't see why you'd even have to mess w/ the circuit at all.
I use one from that time un-modified for bass.

The Keeley version has three modes, classic RAT, Fat RAT and Mighty Mouse. The classic mode cuts a lot of low end so I never use it, for me the Fat RAT mode is far superior. The Mighty Mouse mode also has more low end compared to classic but less distortion on tap. It's a great pedal, can't recommend it enough.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Wesogkan

Ta Daaaaa....

[attachment deleted by admin]

peyotepeddler

as someone else stated, trey uses one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love me some morbid angel:)

VOLVO)))

Trey rocks the rack version of it.

The MT-2 has always sounded kind of balls to me. The HM-2 is where my heart lies, but it isn't the pedal for every occasion.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Volume

Quote from: spookstrickland on March 23, 2011, 09:38:51 PM
I'm guessing the 3 mods are:  Stock diodes, LED's and then No diodes?  you should take a gut shot and post it.

Yeah, I think I've read something like that somewhere, but the caps and the IC chip are also changed. Don't know much about electronics so I can't tell from the pics Wesogcan posted.

spookstrickland

I just see the one set of SI diodes unless there are some mounted out of site on a switch or something.

Thanks
Quote from: Wesogkan on March 23, 2011, 11:09:15 PM
Ta Daaaaa....
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Instant Dan

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 24, 2011, 01:03:32 AM
Trey rocks the rack version of it.

The MT-2 has always sounded kind of balls to me. The HM-2 is where my heart lies, but it isn't the pedal for every occasion.

It's (The HM-2) the only pedal for Shoegaze and Entombed.

justinhedrick

i have two rats (lm308 and a newer version). i should have them put into one box to use them together. hmm . . . .

Wesogkan

Got the power supply for my RAT and tried it out today...I can get a killer Sleep sound out of it, but not enough distortion, clarity and sustain...so I chained it together with the Boss MT-2...muhahahaha. At first the high end totally dropped when the RAT was switched on, but after some tweaking I think I might be pleased. When/if I've ever got the cash I'll probably get the Keeley mod on both.

grimniggzy

glad you're liking it. you got a good deal for an 80's one.

Chovie D

dont mod a vintage 80's rat. just...please....dont. :'(

Its not that they are super precious, but as you saw they do command some $ on ebay. and really, an 80s rat needs nothing done to it unless you cannot live without an led. your basically just borking up one more vintage peice and removing it from the market. IN a few more years the vintage pedals will even be worth MUCH more provided they havent been given the "Full Monty Mod" or some other horseshit.

hayseed

Quote from: Chovie D on March 30, 2011, 01:34:28 PM
dont mod a vintage 80's rat. just...please....dont. :'(

Its not that they are super precious, but as you saw they do command some $ on ebay. and really, an 80s rat needs nothing done to it unless you cannot live without an led. your basically just borking up one more vintage peice and removing it from the market. IN a few more years the vintage pedals will even be worth MUCH more provided they havent been given the "Full Monty Mod" or some other horseshit.

^^^I agree^^^.  why hack apart a good thing?......
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

grimniggzy

I'm getting a Turbo RAT LM308 & all delivered today.

Figured it couldn't hurt to run my RAT II into it and see how that sounds but I mainly got it as a backup or to use on an on-the-go pedalboard.

Jake

I've got an '84 Rat that, although sounds great, has been put to pasture in favor of the R/I Swollen Pickle.
poop.