True detective

Started by RAGER, January 12, 2014, 11:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave J

Quote from: ez on March 12, 2014, 10:21:04 AM
Quote from: Dave J on March 11, 2014, 11:21:05 PM
I must be in the minority.  I didn't like the last episode too much.  It wasn't horrible, but it didn't tie anything together.  There was not much explanation of who, what, why, etc.

It was actually quite cliche' how they ended it.

[spoiler]So they found the bad guy and killed him before he killed them.  You see this in all of the crime dramas out there on tv.  Right before the bad guy is about to deliver the final blow or shoot the good guy, the other good guy (who you thought was dead or missing) comes out of nowhere and gets the bad guy.  Not to mention how everyone lives happily ever after.  As I was watching it I was thinking how different the show would be if one of the two main characters actually died, instead the ex comes back into the picture all reconciled and shit after all these years. [/spoiler]

Don't get me wrong, there were parts I liked.  It was just a little disappointing that it did not end really big like I was expecting.

If I may address this: the show was about the two main characters, their relationship to each other and how they change and don't change over time. And you can't show how both characters have evolved in the end if you kill one of them, or both of them off. Also, you can't have the bad guy "win" as then there'd be a lack of closure for the characters and the audience alike.

Rust's "cheesy" monologue at the end was an illustration of how he had changed, just as Cole's reconcilliation with his wife and family was of his evolution.

I thought it was the perfect ending really and am looking forward to watching this first season again as well as to the second season next year.

I get that you can't have the bad guy "win," and I wasn't suggesting that he should have won.  I just did not like they way they "got" him, and I think the climax was cliche'.  And, it was clear the two evolved in their relationship simply based on the way they worked together at the end, and so killing one guy off would not have detracted from that method.  Cole's reconciliation with his wife and family was just so abrupt.  It just "happened."  Why? Because he stopped in to see his wife before he went out with Rust on their mission.  I just did not believe it. 

I sound like I'm griping too much, though.  I did like the whole season, I was just a little bit let down by the last episode.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

ez

What RAGER said - the bad guy and the denouement of his storyline wasn't all that important in the end. And you can't have the show be about two characters and kill one of them off before showing his change - that'd be just as much a lack of closure as not killing the bad guy.

Also, it may not seem that obvious to some, but I for one got the strong impression from the hospital scene that Hart is a changed man and won't be cheating on his wife from here on out. And won't be neglecting his daughters either.

Had they killed off Hart, then Cole would have another reason to remain the self-destructive recluse he had overcome in the end.

Had they killed off Cohle, then the whole show would have been utterly pointless.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Instant Dan

[spoiler] Supposedly what Rust saw in the yellow king pit was the portal to Carcosa as you can see black orbs. I heard the original ending was supposed to be that Rust and Marty saw that and disappeared and the black detectives picked up where they left off.[/spoiler]

juggernaut

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 15, 2014, 08:53:49 PM
[spoiler] Supposedly what Rust saw in the yellow king pit was the portal to Carcosa as you can see black orbs. I heard the original ending was supposed to be that Rust and Marty saw that and disappeared and the black detectives picked up where they left off.[/spoiler]

Yeah I was wondering if that was supposed to be one of Rust's hallucinations or if he was actually seeing something.

jmucke

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 15, 2014, 08:53:49 PM

So far I thought the next season would feature an all new story line but continuing with the two black guys as the detectives in the next season sounds like an interesting. But maybe thats way too conventional for Pizzolatto. You want a big pay-off with a boss battle between Rust and the yellow king? Fuck you, you'll only get the swamp-retard-henchman.

The Shocker

giantchris

Am I the only one that couldn't stop thinking about why they used Wrestlemania 3 as their basis for choreographing the final fight scene???  That fucking guy has the same shaped head as Andre too.

giantchris

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on March 11, 2014, 05:28:18 AM
I really liked the last ep. Besides catching the Yellow King, there were enough moments of interplay between the 2 leads which was kinda what this show was all about anyway.
That guy wasn't the Yellow King.  It was most likely his grandpa or which I think was the Tuttles Dad.

MichaelZodiac

As I understood he was the current incarnation of the Yellow King.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Worthless Willie

I thought part of the end was them having to live with the fact that they didn't get them all.  ?
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

giantchris

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on March 20, 2014, 11:04:36 AM
I didn't think about that it might be an incarnation thing.  In all honesty I thought the show lost a lot of steam After they got Reggie LeDeux.  Rust banging Marty's wife was totally out of character for him and the whole green house paint thing struck me as a bit of a reach.  Is this guy really so retarded that he painted his ears when he was painting that house?  Really?

That being said it was still really good but not a fan of the ending.  If you notice too they had Rust had a ton of weird visions and visuals in the first couple episodes then he totally stops having them until that vortex of light/dark at the very end?  I think the show would have been even better if Rust got crazier as it went on and if they had him entering Carcosa break his mind.

OUTLANDAH

The king in Yellow isn't a person. It's a concept or idol. Same difference with any beliefs in any other god.

Errol was part of the cult through birth, the high profile killings were most likely him acting alone.

The missing women and children were most likely from the ritualistic killings of the entire cult itself.

sleestak

Quote from: giantchris on March 20, 2014, 11:40:04 PM
Quote from: MichaelZodiac on March 20, 2014, 11:04:36 AM
I didn't think about that it might be an incarnation thing.  In all honesty I thought the show lost a lot of steam After they got Reggie LeDeux.  Rust banging Marty's wife was totally out of character for him and the whole green house paint thing struck me as a bit of a reach.  Is this guy really so retarded that he painted his ears when he was painting that house?  Really?

That being said it was still really good but not a fan of the ending.  If you notice too they had Rust had a ton of weird visions and visuals in the first couple episodes then he totally stops having them until that vortex of light/dark at the very end?  I think the show would have been even better if Rust got crazier as it went on and if they had him entering Carcosa break his mind.

The green ears thing: I struggled with how stupid that felt for a few weeks but then after reflection I think they were just trying to show that sometimes a lucky break in a case is just that and it's the key to "getting your guy."  Just dumb luck.  It was just like green here, green there leads to a break in the case.... he never had green paint on his ears but it led Marty to remember there was a house painter at the house.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

retardgroove

Token

I liked it - get a whiff of Chinatown, Jack Spade Noir, David Lynch. Only thing was Vinci, where the fuck is Vinci? And what I've seen around this Vinci on today's episode I live 10 min from this fucking place.

The Shocker

Even though there was some TERIBLE dialogue, I remain intrigued.

stooge

Quote from: Token on June 21, 2015, 10:46:57 PM
I liked it - get a whiff of Chinatown, Jack Spade Noir, David Lynch. Only thing was Vinci, where the fuck is Vinci? And what I've seen around this Vinci on today's episode I live 10 min from this fucking place.

yeah it absolutely has that chinatown/film noir feel
terribly slow just like season1 but very good
and colin farell using brass knuckles
man that scene was just badass
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

GodShifter

Horribly boring. I could only get through 30 minutes before losing all interest.

socket

Liked it. The bad dialogue was part of the Lynch feel. Weird - but I don't get all the hate.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

Token

It'll pick up momentum, season 1 was so incredible its pretty darn hard to live up to it.

GodShifter

I got through the whole episode last night and reassessed. I think I can get into it if I can just figure out what the fuck is going on. For instance, what does Vince Vaughn's character do exactly? Is he some kind of underworld investor type or what?

socket

Yeah, I have no idea what is going on but like the feel of it so far. Underworld investor seems about right.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

deleted account

late to the party but this is real good with potential to be awesome and very much looking forward to ep. 2