True detective

Started by RAGER, January 12, 2014, 11:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JkFlesh

I'm not totally sure about Rust fucking the wife either, but at least the show set them up as having an attraction or mutual respect or something for each other.  It didn't come out of nowhere.  I didn't quite expect the wife to be so devious, but considering what Marty did to her, it's not all that surprising, really.

Definitely the weakest episode so far, but it sets up some shit that I'm incredibly excited about, beginning with Rust and Marty in the present meeting again for the first time in 10 years....

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, we made it to 2014 right at the end right?

So there are two more episodes and that's that. No season II, at least with those two actors.

You play a man's game you pay a man's price

Some days chickens, some days feathers

The Shocker

Good Townes song at the end.

Instant Dan

I guess this episode was trying to do satire.

MichaelZodiac

I really liked the previous episode, still very much moving forward. Wondering how it all will fit in the last ep though.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, how they going to wrap this all up Sunday? And the killer is.... some random guys we've never seen before are rounded up and tried and convicted.

A job well done.

Worthless Willie

I noticed at the end of the last episode, that it said "season finale" not "series finale" for the next episode.

I thought this was it?  Anyone have any info?  I ain't googlin' that shit...because I'm lazy.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Ryno

I only know that Matthew did not sign on for more episodes.  There is talk of another season. But without him I'm not sure what the point is.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

MadJohnShaft

If they do another season it's supposed to be all new director, writer and actors.

And the killer(s) is.....  Marty in a mask!

jmucke

As far as I know Pizzolatto has renewed his writing/development deal with HBO, Cary Fukunaga will not direct the next season since he has some movie-projects in the works and the next season will feature a new cast and new storyline.
I am really curious if the payoff of the last two episodes will do the build-up of the earlier episodes justice. I hope so because it would be a shame if a series that started out so great will end in mediocrity.

Dave J

Am I missing something?  Wasn't that guy at the end of the show the killer, the guy with the scars on the face?  He was the guy who was mowing the yard and who gave the two cops directions.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Ryno

He's part of the whole creepy inbred family of psychopaths.  I get the feeling it's a lot bigger than just scar-face.  But yeah, that was the dude.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

MadJohnShaft

Instant Dan

Rather interesting ending.

sleestak

I have to rewatch.  Wasn't all that into it the first time through.  Reasons being that they took out the cool dialog and added a fat guy that fucks his sister.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

sleestak

Upon rewatching this I really liked it.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

The Shocker

I thought it was great.  They finally acknowledged their bro love.  Final song over the credits was pretty cool too.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah what a great show. I bet they are bummed they didn't sign the two leads into a second season, FX needs attention for all the shows they are pumping out.

MichaelZodiac

I really liked the last ep. Besides catching the Yellow King, there were enough moments of interplay between the 2 leads which was kinda what this show was all about anyway.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: The Shocker on March 10, 2014, 09:29:05 PM
I thought it was great.  They finally acknowledged their bro love.  Final song over the credits was pretty cool too.

I liked when Rust gave Marty the finger as he left his room in the hospital. Further proof of their bro love.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

Dave J

I must be in the minority.  I didn't like the last episode too much.  It wasn't horrible, but it didn't tie anything together.  There was not much explanation of who, what, why, etc.

It was actually quite cliche' how they ended it.

[spoiler]So they found the bad guy and killed him before he killed them.  You see this in all of the crime dramas out there on tv.  Right before the bad guy is about to deliver the final blow or shoot the good guy, the other good guy (who you thought was dead or missing) comes out of nowhere and gets the bad guy.  Not to mention how everyone lives happily ever after.  As I was watching it I was thinking how different the show would be if one of the two main characters actually died, instead the ex comes back into the picture all reconciled and shit after all these years. [/spoiler]

Don't get me wrong, there were parts I liked.  It was just a little disappointing that it did not end really big like I was expecting.

"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

The Shocker

The Spoiler button works again?

ez

Quote from: Dave J on March 11, 2014, 11:21:05 PM
I must be in the minority.  I didn't like the last episode too much.  It wasn't horrible, but it didn't tie anything together.  There was not much explanation of who, what, why, etc.

It was actually quite cliche' how they ended it.

[spoiler]So they found the bad guy and killed him before he killed them.  You see this in all of the crime dramas out there on tv.  Right before the bad guy is about to deliver the final blow or shoot the good guy, the other good guy (who you thought was dead or missing) comes out of nowhere and gets the bad guy.  Not to mention how everyone lives happily ever after.  As I was watching it I was thinking how different the show would be if one of the two main characters actually died, instead the ex comes back into the picture all reconciled and shit after all these years. [/spoiler]

Don't get me wrong, there were parts I liked.  It was just a little disappointing that it did not end really big like I was expecting.

If I may address this: the show was about the two main characters, their relationship to each other and how they change and don't change over time. And you can't show how both characters have evolved in the end if you kill one of them, or both of them off. Also, you can't have the bad guy "win" as then there'd be a lack of closure for the characters and the audience alike.

Rust's "cheesy" monologue at the end was an illustration of how he had changed, just as Cole's reconcilliation with his wife and family was of his evolution.

I thought it was the perfect ending really and am looking forward to watching this first season again as well as to the second season next year.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

RAGER

Yep would have been way to open ended any other way.  The show was not about the bad guys.  They were peripheral.  Affectations.
No Focus Pocus