Main Menu

an easy trick

Started by Chovie D, August 13, 2013, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Pike going crazy on stage makes sense because most HOF songs are pretty fast.

Getting off topic, they should do a whole tour where they play TAOSD all the way through with Steel Shoe and The Usurper. That would rule. I miss the days they would play tons of those songs live.

MichaelZodiac

When I see a band live what matters to me is the energy, be it from moving around a lot or just from the music. One of the reasons why I still like going to hardcore/punk shows is because of the energy of those bands, even it's just a fucking monday night, just going for it. Something that I sometimes miss when I go to other types of shows.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

The Bandit

Quote from: Lumpy on August 14, 2013, 09:30:20 PM
I wanted a beater guitar I could use for noise, and not worry that I was degrading a good instrument. I already have a couple of nice Fender guitars (mexican Esquire, Strat) that I didn't wanna screw up (play them with files etc). I'm already down 50 bucks. Probably the cheapest thing to do is play a guitar I already own.

http://stonerrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=736.msg299514;topicseen#msg299514

There were a couple of 150 dollar guitars here that I coulda bought. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Lumps, I have a shortscale (24") SX tele that has upgraded saddles, tuners and a Lace Blue bridge pickup, that is still only worth about 100 bucks.  Open to sales, trades, sexual favors...

Chovie D

Quote from: Lumpy on August 14, 2013, 09:30:20 PM
I wanted a beater guitar I could use for noise, and not worry that I was degrading a good instrument. I already have a couple of nice Fender guitars (mexican Esquire, Strat) that I didn't wanna screw up (play them with files etc). I'm already down 50 bucks. Probably the cheapest thing to do is play a guitar I already own.

http://stonerrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=736.msg299514;topicseen#msg299514

There were a couple of 150 dollar guitars here that I coulda bought. Penny wise, pound foolish.

ok, this makes sense. since teh neck is fucked what I would try is raising the strings off the  neck and using a bar(not a slide, a bar) like a lap steel. THey have "nut extenders" (thats what she said) for like 5$ thatll get your strings up high enough to use a heavy bar, or you could jam a drumstick in there like thurston moore (glen branca). slidey instruments are good noise makers (pink floyd-one of these days type stuff). If you didnt wanna buy a cheap bar ($25?) you could use a long socket wrench or similar round peice of smooth metal with some weight too it. Jam in that new (old) pickup and itd be good to go, mount it on your table , play it horizontally with the rest of your rig. use a volume pedal,  swell in wooshing slidey sounds, think you already have one of those? distortion sounds monstrous on laps too, endless sustain. Then if you have an ebow you can get some weird theramin or singing sounds from it too.

-or just buy a $49 rogue lapsteel.

Ive been wanting to make a weird noise guitar myself. and for a while I had a burnt telecaster neck and body that I had bought at a garage sale for $5, but I looked for it the other day and cant find it anymore. :(

VOLVO)))

You need to find that shit, Chovis. I tried to get that shit off you, at one point. I wanted it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

we juts cleaned out the shed to make it into a painting studio fo my wife...i think I may have tossed them.  :'(

The burnt neck was really cool looking.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

About a year ago, there was a cool cheapie on Ebay painted with grey primer (driving the price down) but I didn't buy it.

Bandit, let me regroup for a bit here. I may take you up on that later, if the guitar is still around (don't hold onto it on my account though)

Chovie, neck is already slide-ready. ;)

The strat style pickups hum (and not in the good way). What makes pickups good for harmonics? Placement? Height? Type of pickup? That's what I need to do. Also, best pots for this?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

good for hamronics? a pickup? not sure.

i know that dead strings will kill your harmonics

current pickups hum? or are really weak? or both?

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Lumpy on August 15, 2013, 05:37:30 PM
About a year ago, there was a cool cheapie on Ebay painted with grey primer (driving the price down) but I didn't buy it.

Bandit, let me regroup for a bit here. I may take you up on that later, if the guitar is still around (don't hold onto it on my account though)

Chovie, neck is already slide-ready. ;)

The strat style pickups hum (and not in the good way). What makes pickups good for harmonics? Placement? Height? Type of pickup? That's what I need to do. Also, best pots for this?

Wide pickup area helps, because nodes are much more significant when doing harmonics, so if one falls over a narrow pickup, you have nothing to work with.

Chovie D

so like a $200 lollar steel pickup  ;)

chille01

I'm guessing clockwork green isn't a Supersuckers fan

neighbor664

Danny G

I like it when the band is having more fun than the crowd.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Volume

How do you do that trick with a Flying V Chovie?

neighbor664

Jake

That is awesome.

Wait, I mean...
The problem I have with this thread that performance is that it's about being contrived. Would any of you be at all impressed by putting a guitar behind your head playing slide with a full, foaming beer and then with the cleanup towel over the fretting hand? Of course not, so why do you insult your audience with prefabricated, choreography?
poop.