Main Menu

an easy trick

Started by Chovie D, August 13, 2013, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Quote from: SunnO))) on August 13, 2013, 04:24:59 PM
THERE IS NO FUN ALLOWED.

I don't even know what to say to your statement, Josh. Perhaps you're just jaded?

Or just really uncoordinated?
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

Quote from: clockwork green on August 13, 2013, 02:22:38 PM
Between this and the band name thread, I'm starting to feel like this place just isn't for me anymore. What's next? Adding cover songs for the ladies to dance during gigs? Do's and don'ts of stage outfits? Strategic fan placement on stage for proper hair in the wind look? Tips on distressing jeans? Hair styling tips and techniques?

If you want to impress most people in a truly profound way, try coming up with a compelling artistic statement. That can certainly have components of other senses besides sound but all of this crap isn't interesting and it isn't even funny.

Bye now.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

btw the band name thread was just a transparent (or so I thought) attempt to get some good suggestions for a band name from you all. and you did come up with some good ones....even tho Im still kinda lookin. sorry for any offense that thread may have given.

neighbor664

Quote from: Dr.Zayus on August 13, 2013, 03:44:26 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on August 13, 2013, 02:30:19 PM
Between this and the band name thread, I'm starting to feel like this place just isn't for me anymore. What's next? Adding cover songs for the ladies to dance during gigs? Do's and don'ts of stage outfits? Strategic fan placement on stage for proper hair in the wind look? Tips on distressing jeans? Hair styling tips and techniques?

If you want to impress most people in a truly profound way, try coming up with a compelling artistic statement. That can certainly have components of other senses besides sound but all of this crap isn't interesting and it isn't even funny.

::)

wheres your compelling artistic statement then?

what a stick in the mud . take yourself kind of seriously dont ya? :D\
jesus fucking christ man, I try and post something light and fun and I get this?

Music is supposed to be FUN, not uptight pretensious horseshit and comparing dick sizes. (unless thats your thing).

I guess a "can I use a bass amp for guiatr thread would a been  better for this place?"

fucking hell, man this place has changed, maybe IM the one who shouldnt post anymore. laterz.

Hell yeah! A band could be playing the greatest music in the world, but if their just gonna stand there like a statue, I'd rather just sit in the cheaper beer comfort of my own home and listen. Chuck Berry, Angus Young, Greg Ginn, EVH, Jimi...those dudes ripped AND entertained. It ain't the fuckin symphony.
Troof!

The Riffer

I tried this a few times back in the day. More reaction from men than the chicks I had hoped would notice.

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Ayek

Heh, a buddy of mine had a zucchini in foil down his pants for a gig ages ago. After their set he ditched it in the urinal. A bit later the drummer's dad walks out of the gents exclaiming "Someone left a cucumber in the urinal!" He was told it was a zucchini, to which he replied "Well, whatever it is, it tasted fuckin awful." Best quote of the night.

Jake

I'm kinda surprised you would unload like that. You've been around long enough to know that on the spectrum of topics, the ones you referenced are nowhere near the bottom of the barrel. No even close...no sir. And the other fellas make a solid point in saying that if the ebb and flow of conversation in the Jam Room is not satisfying your interests, take it upon yourself to elevate the dialogue to include things that do.

I, myself, am only here to seek the validation that I desperately need via my photobucket full of gear pics. So I wouldn't dream of shitting on another man's thread who is clearly only having some lighthearted fun.
poop.

liquidsmoke

I'd probably drop my guitar behind me if I tried that.

When I'm not singing I make an effort to at least nod my head to the riffs when we play live. I've also found out that if I rock out too much the fingers on my fretting hand move enough to make sustained chords waver or die prematurely.

As a show goer I like to see some movement on stage but if I'm not into the music it doesn't help at all.

Lumpy

Might be a good discussion -- is it more important to perform with energy, or more important to hit every note perfectly?

How did Angus Young seem to do both?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

I have no idea how some people run and jump around without sounding like shit. It's pretty amazing.

VOLVO)))

I use movement as extra vibrato. It is a form of limb independence, in my opinion.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

I wanted to post some easy stuff I never see guitarists doing, but that other poeple especially non musicians think is amazing,  kinda like the fake pedal steel lick I posted a year ago. Other topics couldve been "rakes: why the hell dont you know about them and use them?"
"Octaves in solos: why the hell dont I use them?" etc.

last night i had the recurring nightmare where im under pressure to pack up all my gear as quickly as possible and escape the venue.
i have this one all the time. :(

VOLVO)))

Tapping is a really good trick people think is hard/amazing. Also, hammer on and pulling off riffs. I do it all the time when my picking hand is tired.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ombrenuit

Quote from: neighbor664 on August 13, 2013, 01:21:38 PM
Quote from: RacerX on August 13, 2013, 01:13:48 PM
Could be cool, but could also be quite expensive, depending upon how much/what quality of weed you wanna give away.

Yeah but probably not much more wasteful than spending thousands of dollars on music equipment and a lifetime of personal and financial sacrifice just to perform to a handful of friends.

Well when you put it that way...

AgentofOblivion

Also, the thing Zakk Wylde does where he starts doing a fast trill between the open G string and some nearby fret and while that's going slowly and lightly slide your picking hand's pinky down the string starting in between the pickups and ending near the start of the fretboard.  It just creates a series of natural harmonics overlayed on the tempo of the trill.  Looks cool, sounds cool, easy to do.

This is an incredibly awkward video I found explaining it, but he does do it. 

RAGER

what aboot the ever popular pick slide?  I use it often.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

As an artistic statement?
Livin' The Life.

clockwork green

Other than new gear threads when was the last time a thread on here made you think? I've tried and failed and that's fine, my threads were probably not that interesting to anyone outside of me and I can't expect to appeal to others needs.  The problem I have with this is thread is that it's about being contrived.  Would any of you be at all impressed by putting a guitar behind your head? Of course not, so why do you insult your audience with prefabricated, choreography? When Greg Ginn or Jimi Hendrix did it, it's because they were having an emotional explosion.  In interviews near the end, Jimi said how he hated smashing guitars because the audience made it feel like an obligation...that's not fucking art.  Expressing who you are in a deeply emotional way is art.  It doesn't all have to be brooding, dark, intellectual or any of that...you can be a happy spazz but I hate watching "performers" and performers choreograph shit out for a manipulated effect on the audience.  I personally want the artist to do their thing and let me come up with own reactions but I'm obviously in the minority.  SRV and T-Bone are great musicians but for my personal interests I don't feel at all inspired by them. 

I was thinking about this the other day.  Some people get into music because they want to perform and be the center of attention.  They feed off of the spectacle.  Many of these folks go into acting but a handful make it into music.  They like the theatrics, putting on a big show and that sort of thing...KISS, Meatloaf etc.  I hate this shit beyond belief.  Other folks get into music because they love music and they want to be apart of the culture of music and they're just happy to be in a band and playing whatever.  A lot of these guys go into cover bands or bands that sounds just like other stuff.  I've known a lot of these folks and they seem quite happy and satisfied.  Some of them even really make good music but it's rarely going to be much different things you've heard before and they're often at their most creative when they're combining two or more different things together (which is never a bad idea).  The third type are often emotionally stunted people that have few options for expression.  These folks are often quiet and awkward around others, bottle up their emotions and use their music, writing, painting or whatever as their only chance to actually live and feel life.  These are the people I've always personally gravitated towards.  Just like how my sister can spot a drug dealer in any neighborhood in seconds while I can't, I can spot these artists usually pretty quickly.  There's a desperation and deadly seriousness in what they do.  They might still write happy music (though usually not) but either way it's a very personal and serious thing to them.  It's not that music isn't important the other types but the level of desperation is higher in type 3 because there is no other outlet.  Listening isn't good enough, watching a performance isn't good enough and even switching art forms doesn't work either.

I can have fun with music but the shit around here has just gotten monotone with moronic threads.  How many regulars are we down to now? It's not because we're out of shit to talk about, there are other boards that still have interesting threads.

Fuck it...I'm rambling and I really just don't even care anymore.  Have fun with the dick jokes and sweet dance moves.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Jake

poop.

spookstrickland

"Other than new gear threads when was the last time a thread on here made you think? I've tried and failed and that's fine, my threads were probably not that interesting to anyone outside of me and I can't expect to appeal to others needs.  The problem I have with this is thread is that it's about being contrived.  Would any of you be at all impressed by putting a guitar behind your head? Of course not, so why do you insult your audience with prefabricated, choreography? When Greg Ginn or Jimi Hendrix did it, it's because they were having an emotional explosion.  In interviews near the end, Jimi said how he hated smashing guitars because the audience made it feel like an obligation...that's not fucking art.  Expressing who you are in a deeply emotional way is art.  It doesn't all have to be brooding, dark, intellectual or any of that...you can be a happy spazz but I hate watching "performers" and performers choreograph shit out for a manipulated effect on the audience.  I personally want the artist to do their thing and let me come up with own reactions but I'm obviously in the minority.  SRV and T-Bone are great musicians but for my personal interests I don't feel at all inspired by them. 

I was thinking about this the other day.  Some people get into music because they want to perform and be the center of attention.  They feed off of the spectacle.  Many of these folks go into acting but a handful make it into music.  They like the theatrics, putting on a big show and that sort of thing...KISS, Meatloaf etc.  I hate this shit beyond belief.  Other folks get into music because they love music and they want to be apart of the culture of music and they're just happy to be in a band and playing whatever.  A lot of these guys go into cover bands or bands that sounds just like other stuff.  I've known a lot of these folks and they seem quite happy and satisfied.  Some of them even really make good music but it's rarely going to be much different things you've heard before and they're often at their most creative when they're combining two or more different things together (which is never a bad idea).  The third type are often emotionally stunted people that have few options for expression.  These folks are often quiet and awkward around others, bottle up their emotions and use their music, writing, painting or whatever as their only chance to actually live and feel life.  These are the people I've always personally gravitated towards.  Just like how my sister can spot a drug dealer in any neighborhood in seconds while I can't, I can spot these artists usually pretty quickly.  There's a desperation and deadly seriousness in what they do.  They might still write happy music (though usually not) but either way it's a very personal and serious thing to them.  It's not that music isn't important the other types but the level of desperation is higher in type 3 because there is no other outlet.  Listening isn't good enough, watching a performance isn't good enough and even switching art forms doesn't work either.

I can have fun with music but the shit around here has just gotten monotone with moronic threads.  How many regulars are we down to now? It's not because we're out of shit to talk about, there are other boards that still have interesting threads.

Fuck it...I'm rambling and I really just don't even care anymore.  Have fun with the dick jokes and sweet dance moves."

I actually liked you post.

Thanks
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

RacerX

Quote from: clockwork green on August 14, 2013, 03:48:53 PM
Other than new gear threads when was the last time a thread on here made you think? I've tried and failed and that's fine, my threads were probably not that interesting to anyone outside of me and I can't expect to appeal to others needs.  The problem I have with this is thread is that it's about being contrived.  Would any of you be at all impressed by putting a guitar behind your head? Of course not, so why do you insult your audience with prefabricated, choreography? When Greg Ginn or Jimi Hendrix did it, it's because they were having an emotional explosion.  In interviews near the end, Jimi said how he hated smashing guitars because the audience made it feel like an obligation...that's not fucking art.  Expressing who you are in a deeply emotional way is art.  It doesn't all have to be brooding, dark, intellectual or any of that...you can be a happy spazz but I hate watching "performers" and performers choreograph shit out for a manipulated effect on the audience.  I personally want the artist to do their thing and let me come up with own reactions but I'm obviously in the minority.  SRV and T-Bone are great musicians but for my personal interests I don't feel at all inspired by them. 

Fuck it...I'm rambling and I really just don't even care anymore.  Have fun with the dick jokes and sweet dance moves.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OFFICIAL Clockwork Green Artistic Statement
Livin' The Life.

neighbor664

Fuck me if I identify with all three of those types described.  ???

Chovie D

"The problem I have with this is thread is that it's about being contrived.  Would any of you be at all impressed by putting a guitar behind your head? Of course not, so why do you insult your audience with prefabricated, choreography? "
-apparently, judging by the reaction of the audience and of other guitar players, its a very impressive move. I do it when the mood strikes me, not every show and its not planned but even if it were so fucking what? a Band usually holds musical performances. ..which are by their very nature CONTRIVED in almost every way from your gay as set lists to your jeans to your in between song banter.........fucking DUH!To pretend otherwise is some pretensious bullshit..or you are playing in a free jazz band that never performs live.

"When Greg Ginn or Jimi Hendrix did it, it's because they were having an emotional explosion."
-yes they just happened to do a move done by dozens of guitarists previously, and obvioulsy practiced at least once or twice previously by themselves, because they were caught up in the emotion of the moment. just came out of nowhere....(ginn maybe, hendrix?...think again, he was in an Rand B band and had a whole repetoire of fucking dance moves befor forming the experience , playing between his legs, you name it)

the majority of "serious threads" here hold little to no interest to me but I dont go into them and have a tantrum or belittle the OP.
I once started a thread on relative minors..serious to the max. Got about two responses both of which were, "whats that?"

start some awesome threads about shit thats interesting to you, otherwise, move along.

Chovie D

"Some people get into music because they want to perform and be the center of attention.  They feed off of the spectacle.  Many of these folks go into acting but a handful make it into music.  They like the theatrics, putting on a big show and that sort of thing...KISS, Meatloaf etc.  I hate this shit beyond belief.  Other folks get into music because they love music and they want to be apart of the culture of music and they're just happy to be in a band and playing whatever."

fucking retarded. those two people are not mutually exclusive. IN fact the best performing bands require a combo of those two elements.

RacerX

You're suggesting that there are shades of gray, not just black or white, Chovie? ABSURD!!
Livin' The Life.