Main Menu

an easy trick

Started by Chovie D, August 13, 2013, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Some folks just take they selves way too seriously.  Seriously.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I love showmanship like playing guitar behind your head... but I presume that anybody who does shit like that can play really well. If not, that kind of showmanship would be rendonkulous.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

What the fuck else can we talk about?

Fuzz pedals, vintage gear, band woes, what else? It's the jam room. Pretty limited topic base. I even introduced DIY projects and shit as an option for people to post in here. Not everyone likes the same shit.

Musicians? Contrived? No way.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

I guess Im not understanding how a few simple and traditional performance related tricks are some kind of monumental musical sellout? We are not talking about staging a production of STyx's Mr Roboto here...were talkin about a 5 second  TRICK similar to tapping, pick scraping, chuck berry duckwalking, handling a heckler with a stock insult.... whatever.
Unless you are a studio musician you will at some time be performing... FOR an audience hopefully. FOR them. to entertain them .
I think most of us here have done that a few times? In modern popular music we have a tradition of performance beyond playing our instruments...anyone who has ever played a rock show in front of an audience is painfully aware of this, despite any pretensious claims to the contrary.

When you go to a rock show, do you expect the band to be seated? remain seated? no movement? no interaction with the audience?

because as someone else said...thats the symphony. . IN popular music, we have other traditions that help us relate to the bands, that energize and inspire us and become engaged in the music and make us feel as if we are PART of the performance. Its a long tradition from:

to:

Chovie D

Quote from: Lumpy on August 14, 2013, 06:26:56 PM
I love showmanship like playing guitar behind your head... but I presume that anybody who does shit like that can play really well. If not, that kind of showmanship would be rendonkulous.

I guess some people take their guitar solos really really seriously?
I improvise most of my "solos" and IM not adverse to just holding a bendy note during a solo with one hand and drinking a beer with the other, or sticking my guitar out there into the audience and letting joe or jill blow in the front row rub his/hands hand over the  strings while I solo one handed. I am not heartbroken if there a is a bum note and IM sure the audience doesnt care if my arpeggios are slightly off because I was flipping them the bird while soloing or whatever.

after 20 or more years of playing the pentatonic blues scale in which most of us "solo"...my eyes and both hands are no longer needed to pull it off.
I guess that could be considered one aspect of "playing well". I also feel like I'm playing well when I hit the right notes but thats something other than what we were discussing, and not veyr exciting...

I feel very confident in my playing. I think I could "cut heads" with just about anybody...

first time I saw the trick in the op live was Pete Way from UFO..I loved it, as did the other 40K people in the cleveland coliseum that night. Then on came cheap trick, no showmanship there eh? what a fucking show. made me want to play guitar...so I begged mom and pop to buy me one and they rented me an acoustic, the rest is rock and roll history :D

Lumpy

Lumpy

Quote from: SunnO))) on August 14, 2013, 06:39:48 PM
What the fuck else can we talk about?

Fuzz pedals, vintage gear, band woes, what else? It's the jam room. Pretty limited topic base. I even introduced DIY projects and shit as an option for people to post in here. Not everyone likes the same shit.

Musicians? Contrived? No way.

YOU COULD TALK ABOOT MY GUITAR'S VOLUME DROP  >:(

Seriously, what should I do? Put it on the curb? It has soooo many problems.  :'(

Chovie D

pickup needs rewinding? bad pot on the volume knob?

Ive had a pickup thats dead on one string...shit happens.

i was surpised how reasonable it was to have them rewound and dipped. like 40 bucks.

Lumpy

The whole guitar was 10 bucks (40 for shipping, including a new guitar shipping box).

Penny wise, pound foolish :(

Chovie D

oh, slap in a spare pickup? I got a p-90's I could send you. (make it'll fit before I do).

what's the neck like on a $10 guitar?

when living in a college town, on the day everyone moves out of their rentals and dorms, I used to find a couple guitars a year. They were old hagstroms or no name beaters. One became a wall clock, a couple others were tuned up played and smashed onstage...more tricks! >:(

Lumpy

This guitar is pretty lousy. The neck is bowed... tuners suck. Bridge sucks...

I don't wanna derail your thread about shoowmanship.

Chovie D

feel free to derail ,  I think its usefulness has run its course. and lemme know if you want that pee 90. ,

VOLVO)))

I have a box full of pickups if ya need one lumpy.

What's the control layout?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Quote from: RAGER on August 14, 2013, 07:28:13 PM
Wall art?

no, not just wall art. a compelling artistic wall art statement!

Lumpy

You guys are too kind. Seriously, it's fucked. Two strat style pickups. A volume and control knob (volume right next to the input jack ::) ) No switches. The bridge is like an old Teisco cheapy, with two rods that extend (so you can cut yourself). No fret markers anywhere on the neck (on a beginner guitar). I could go on. It's a Harmony, probably from the 90s.

Lumpy

I would just donate it to somebody, but it's pretty unusable without a lot of work, and even then it would only be semi-useable.

Chovie D

you can buy inlay stickers or like myself just use computer sticker paper.
I might have some strat style pickups lying around, but if the neck is totalled why bother?

Lumpy

The neck is pretty bowed. I tried turning the truss rodd (away from me, in playing position, correct?) and  a half turn did nothing.

Let me know if you want a guitar for smashing.

RAGER

I just poorly draw my inlays on by hand.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I put my inlay sweatbands on crooked. Lumpy, you after an inexpensive guitar?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

I wanted a beater guitar I could use for noise, and not worry that I was degrading a good instrument. I already have a couple of nice Fender guitars (mexican Esquire, Strat) that I didn't wanna screw up (play them with files etc). I'm already down 50 bucks. Probably the cheapest thing to do is play a guitar I already own.

http://stonerrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=736.msg299514;topicseen#msg299514

There were a couple of 150 dollar guitars here that I coulda bought. Penny wise, pound foolish.

RAGER

For that purpose, how playable do they have to be?
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

Personally I just want to bring the fuckin' doom. We are a 3 piece and kind of boring to look and that's that. If we were jumping around all crazy it wouldn't fit the music. When bands play great music and jumping around all crazy fits then the show is better and more power to them.

If you want crazy physical stuff don't go to doom metal shows.

Chovie D

I've seen Pike do this kind of shit with HoF. Cliff Burton was pretty awesome. But I understand to each their own. I enjoy flashy drummers, but I also enjoy Charlie watts. cheers