The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

Whatever one rager is giving me apparently.

renfield

Ah, I wasn't paying attention.

Muffin Man

Was watching an interview/product showcase (meinl) with John Jabo Starks and Clyde Stubblefield and the interviewer ask's what's the best advise for up an coming drummer and Clyde shouted out "pay attention". In reference to how to play in one of the hardest workin bands in show business.

Muffin Man

2:25

RAGER

Guess I'll take a guitar to work today.

No Focus Pocus

renfield

So like I really want to get a baritone / bass vi style instrument, but i'm getting the sense that the plague means I might just have to make a blind purchase? Several instrument merchants have laughed in my face at the suggestion they would have such a thing stocked.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

renfield

So buy a short scale bass and convert it?

That might be pretty doable. Only have to worry about the bridge, tuning knobs, and nut right?

mortlock

I think fender reissued the bass vi not that long ago. Shouldnt be that hard to find one.

RAGER

Quote from: renfield on January 02, 2021, 01:21:28 PM
So buy a short scale bass and convert it?

That might be pretty doable. Only have to worry about the bridge, tuning knobs, and nut right?

Or just buy a baritone neck and tuners and slap that on a guitar body.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Like a squire jazz master should be cheap to find.  Warmoth neck or stewmac if they have it
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

im putting my fender nate mendel p bass up for sale. if anyones interested let me know.

Lumpy

Squier was making a Bass VI for a while, maybe they still are. That's what Jared from Big Business plays, I think.

Mortlock why you selling your bass? You went back to your Jazz Bass?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I never left my jazz bass. It will always be my number 1.
Im selling the nate because i dont need it and i still have my kramer if i need a back up. Im not playing much due to covid and if/when things return ill just stick with the jazz bass.

mortlock

And i quit the ff tribute band.

Lumpy

You quit the Fist Fuckers? Dang.

neighbor664

I stumbled onto this and got all nostalgic. Technically, one of these babies in red was my first "electric guitar".

renfield

Amazing. Mortlock, we'll have to use that for our 20 bpm project

neighbor664

I have an old cassette somewhere of me and my brother "playing music" from when I was 9. He's 3 years younger. I would make him bang on boxes and pans so I could play the Starguitar and singing about video games and aliens.

RAGER

I subscribe to this guy on youtube named beneller.  He's a teacher and a total wizard player.  Everything from 7 string chug djent to chicken pickin.  Anyways something he said on a recent vid struck me.  I don't ever play full songs anymore and I need to.  My playing consists of warm up noodling then rehashing some of my old riffs with some more noodling then I'll come up with some new riffs which I don't record like a fool then I forget them when  I could go back and put some stuff together for like an actual song.  Then I'll play some VH riffs cuz it just sounds cool through my gear and then I get bored. 

I need to write a few songs and start playing them.  Or even go back through some of my last bands recordings and pull down the guitar tracks and play along at least.  Imma try and do something different. 
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Thanks to this pandemic im so fuckin discouraged. 2021 is a total loss. Im starting to think i prob wont step on a stage ever again.

Lumpy

This is a perfect time to work on your solo noise project.

Danny G

I'm taking this break from gigging to get better at recording.

Which poses its own new set of problems.

Have a Roland Studio Capture 16 channel interface.

Turns out they have an inherent flaw which causes them to pop and crackle from time to time while recording. Reading online many people have this issue. Most of the remedied it by getting something else.

So I'm looking at either:

1. (Recommended by a producer friend) A Focusrite Clarett 8prex 8 channel thunderbolt interface for $1200.

Not as many tracks I would like (I could add my Scarlett for 4 more if need be) but for the price it's the best currently out.

2. Go the cheap route and hope for the best: a lesser Focusrite 8 channel interface for $600. Then get another of the same unit for 16 channels total. Can at least split up the $1200.

I am really tired of buying shit. There are plugins to get rid of the pops and crackles but they also noticeably degrade the sound quality.

For current album project(s) tracking drums requires 9 tracks. If singer/guitarist and myself record live scratch tracks with him, that is 12 tracks.

Hopefully they'll finally cut those $2000 checks I keep hearing about and I can buy both #1 *and* a #2 as an expansion unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com