The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

Got a new project going its in its early stages but the chemistry is good!  Going for a Brian Jonestown Massacre kind of sound with some Stoner Doom influences.... just need a tambourine player like Joel Gion.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Instant Dan

I sold my last "Big Iron" amp (which was a 50 watt JCM800 2204 clone). I haven't really been jamming with anyone in a while since I had to move to a different city and I no longer having an appropriate place to get her juices flowing. I hate just having small amps but it's probably for the best until I can get a house one day

Before I sold it, I finally figured out the way to get more bass and not as peaky of a midrange in that amp which should have been obvious, speakers.

The 65 watt celestions were apparently designed for JCM800's sound help with their bright nature. I was lucky enough to plug into a cab that had them at a local music store. It was totally the tone I was looking for, dark but still could sit get in a band mix.

Otherwise, I have been really re-vamping my playing. The big thing I have been focusing on is really just getting a better handle on my rhythm, make sure I have more of a groove. Listening to old Sabbath, ZZ Top, and Hendrix seems to help with this.

I also have started to try and really write some stuff again. Nothing mind-blowing but it gets the creative juices flowing.

RacerX

If you play slide guitar, these are the SHIT. The cutaway, the internal taper, and the dead-finger rest combine to make these the best I've ever used. I bought an aged brass pinky slide for blues and a middle finger glass for rock. Now I don't use any of my old slides anymore.

https://www.therockslide.com
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Don't try to play heavy music with a guy who plays Chapman Stick through a Line 6 pod.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Bro. Righteous

Ha^ - our running gag would always be...dude uses a Roland Cube that ain't heavy and gay as fuck,
what, you wanna go around making fart sounds all day - that's some weak-ass shit.
....poor, poor Roland Cube wanker...never understood, never meant to be, a disgrace, go back to becoming
a burgeoning livid ass lawyer or accountant. Your services are not needed here.
I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

showdown

Kal-El is going over the pond for a few west coast dates with Wizzerd this spring, this should be fun!

3/31 - Seattle, WA @ Substation w/Year of the Cobra, Witch Ripper
4/1 - Eugene, OR @ Old Nick's Pub w/White Wail
4/2 - Sacramento, CA @ Blue Lamp w/TBA
4/4 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Viper Room w/OLD BLOOD, Mountain Tamer
4/5 - Pacifica, CA @ Winters Tavern w/The Bad Light
4/6 - Eureka, CA @ The Siren's Song Tavern w/FHOG
4/7 - Portland, OR @ World Famous Kenton Club w/Stoner, Sunless

neighbor664

^I'm hoping I can catch that Pacifica show. Winters Tavern is an all right spot , but don't expect much of anyone from SF or Oakland to show up to that venue.

neighbor664

I am actually going to be playing a gig in two weeks. I haven't played in public since Damnweevil's last show in 2009.
The gig is a bit out of my normal realm. The music is contemporary R&B. The gig is opening for a rapper's record release show.
The other day I got a text out of the blue. It was from a female singer was referred to me by an acquaintance. She was looking to add a jazz/bluesy vibe and some solos to her stuff. She's emailed me four sparse acoustic piano and voice mp3s of the songs. We will only be able to get in a couple rehearsals before playing out, but I am practicing to the recording and totally got this.

RacerX

Break a leg!

I wish something would just take me by surprise like that—I've been woodshedding for like 2 years now...  >:(
Livin' The Life.

neighbor664

The Jamming went well. I was at the singer's parent's house and I'm pretty sure I'm older than her mom and dad. It felt awkward in that regard.

RacerX

On the bright side, my repair guy finally replaced the tuners on my 12-string, which hasn't been able to hold its tuning for about 2 years.

On the darker side, when I was playing with some of the guitars at his shop, some asshole ripped off my prescription sunglasses, which I had stupidly set down on the chair next to mine. eh, I needed a new prescription, anyway...
Livin' The Life.

bbottom

Quote from: RacerX on February 05, 2018, 12:50:44 PM
On the darker side, when I was playing with some of the guitars at his shop, some asshole ripped off my prescription sunglasses, which I had stupidly set down on the chair next to mine. eh, I needed a new prescription, anyway...

Well that's pretty fucked up. Any idea who is was?

RacerX

Yeah, it was one of 3 dudes who came in all at once and swarmed all over everything before buying a few guitar picks & splitting. Fuckers.
Livin' The Life.

mortlock

probably illegals. you should call ICE.

GO MURICA.
#trumpsamerica #maga

RacerX

Quote from: mortlock on February 07, 2018, 12:04:19 AM

GO MURICA.
#trumpsamerica #maga

Now that you mention it, they were Native Americans, you racist shithead.

Now take your politics back to General Discussion where they belong.
Livin' The Life.

mortlock

Quote from: RacerX on February 07, 2018, 01:39:48 PM
Quote from: mortlock on February 07, 2018, 12:04:19 AM

GO MURICA.
#trumpsamerica #maga

Now that you mention it, they were Native Americans, you racist shithead.

Now take your politics back to General Discussion where they belong.
you need to get your sarcasm detector fixed.

RacerX

Maybe after I get my amp fixed.
Livin' The Life.

Jor el

Prescription Sunglasses?

Fancy

What Would Scooby Do ?

bbottom

Our song "Jurassic Mutha" became available for streaming today. We also released this crazy video for it at the same time. Check it out

Here's the spotify link if you'd like to stream it
https://open.spotify.com/artist/3g6LAb4pLRtcGrKGqJSjhZ?si=vOlw89uJSp6G44a4gCS-og

bbottom

neighbor664

The gig backing the singer went well. I'm hoping someone documented it.

mortlock

bbottom you guys could probably steal this. lol
tiger crossover

Danny G

Tracking the Thunderosa album yesterday at Clock Right Studio

Kin. Late 70s Icemen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com