The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

That guitar was set up for DADGAD, but my 12-string acoustic is also in that tuning, so no loss. The SANDIA MAN material is in drop C, and I've got another electric set up for slide in open E, and my hollow body electric and my resonator in open G.
Livin' The Life.

spookstrickland

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

liquidsmoke

Quote from: spookstrickland on January 18, 2016, 06:49:14 PM
I keep looking at this, how do they sound? Do they weigh a lot?

The 450 and 550 are maple and I think I remember reading that they are quite heavy. The 350 is mahogany and is fairly weighty.

Submarine

Quote from: RacerX on January 18, 2016, 05:06:16 PM
That guitar was set up for DADGAD, but my 12-string acoustic is also in that tuning, so no loss. The SANDIA MAN material is in drop C, and I've got another electric set up for slide in open E, and my hollow body electric and my resonator in open G.

DADGAD is a lot of fun.  I also use the "Jimmy Page" tuning CACGCE

spookstrickland

Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 18, 2016, 08:32:17 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on January 18, 2016, 06:49:14 PM
I keep looking at this, how do they sound? Do they weigh a lot?

The 450 and 550 are maple and I think I remember reading that they are quite heavy. The 350 is mahogany and is fairly weighty.

Well thats no good for me(bad back) at list for a gigging guitar, but I bet that mahogany one has great tone...im going to be on the look out for one anyway for a home/studio player

thanks for the info!
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

spook. have you ever played a Hagstrom ultra swede?

the thing is like a toy small body les paul. very comfortable to play and it even has coil taps for lots of different sounds

it isn't as rich as an LP, no bs there, but it is very precise to play and sounds nice.

RacerX

Quote from: Submarine on January 18, 2016, 09:09:47 PM
Quote from: RacerX on January 18, 2016, 05:06:16 PM

DADGAD is a lot of fun.  I also use the "Jimmy Page" tuning CACGCE

It's hard not to sound pretty in DADGAD—very ornate tuning.

Another one I like to use occasionally is CGCGCD.
Livin' The Life.

spookstrickland

Quote from: jibberish on January 18, 2016, 10:03:27 PM
spook. have you ever played a Hagstrom ultra swede?

the thing is like a toy small body les paul. very comfortable to play and it even has coil taps for lots of different sounds

it isn't as rich as an LP, no bs there, but it is very precise to play and sounds nice.

Ive not got to play one yet but its for sure on my list!

Thanks
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Omlet

No time to record a new black metal album. I'm almost done with creation of 2 hours of ambient music for the cosmetics shop in Dubai but still it consumes all my creativity...

(it was rather long break...)

mortlock

im not a big fan of digital releases being given the same status as analog physical copies of releases. am i on point or has time passed me by?

Danny G

I concur.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Lumpy

Playing a show next Saturday. The promoter is finally making an event page on Facebook right now... a week (less than a week) away. It's really annoying. 3 or 4 days ago he emailed me to say the lineup is all set, load-in times, etc. Hard enough to promote shows without waiting until the last week.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

Quote from: Lumpy on January 23, 2016, 11:18:35 PM
Playing a show next Saturday. The promoter is finally making an event page on Facebook right now... a week (less than a week) away. It's really annoying. 3 or 4 days ago he emailed me to say the lineup is all set, load-in times, etc. Hard enough to promote shows without waiting until the last week.

should have made the page yourself. No such thing as too much promotion.

spookstrickland

Quote from: mortlock on January 25, 2016, 12:38:28 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on January 23, 2016, 11:18:35 PM

should have made the page yourself. No such thing as too much promotion.

Always do your own promotion.  Flyers, hand bills, internet.  If you live close enough to the venue make one of those little folding A frame sighns and put that out in fron of the club for a werk so all the drive by and foot trafgic will see it...many times ive found a good show this way.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Lumpy

I didn't even know who the other performers were, until a couple days ago. When it seemed like he wasn't getting it done quickly, I offered to make the FB page and he said he would do it. Took him like 2 days.

Whatever, just complaining.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Lumpy on January 25, 2016, 06:55:46 PM
I didn't even know who the other performers were, until a couple days ago. When it seemed like he wasn't getting it done quickly, I offered to make the FB page and he said he would do it. Took him like 2 days.

Whatever, just complaining.

Dont wait to find out, start promoting your band immediately.  The other bands can fend for themselves, you never want a low turnout because you held off promotion.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Danny G

Always promote yourselves.

The Ortiz Brothers (Amplified Heat) have started up their jam again on Mondays. I am happy about this.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

Danny G

Finally got around to cutting a piece of wood in half to make a mandolin pedalboard

Mr. Foxen

Dammit, think new drummer is flaking because band is more serious than he wants to be doing.

bbottom

Between my three band the next few months are going to be super busy but I'm really looking forward to it. Mass Driver has two out of town shows back to back so I'm really pumped about that. The annual beerfest that my surf band is playing is coming up and that's always a hell of a good time. A d my new band (kind of 90's rock) has their first show in two weeks and the material is thankfully  beginning to sink into my brain.

everdrone

My new band played this weekend.  We are very black sabbath sounding.  I am really stoked!

mortlock

Quote from: bbottom on February 01, 2016, 12:53:52 AM
Between my three band the next few months are going to be super busy but I'm really looking forward to it. Mass Driver has two out of town shows back to back so I'm really pumped about that. The annual beerfest that my surf band is playing is coming up and that's always a hell of a good time. A d my new band (kind of 90's rock) has their first show in two weeks and the material is thankfully  beginning to sink into my brain.
that's awesome. I don't know how you do it. im struggling to play in 2 bands right now. I have no one to blame but myself. ill put that right into the 'be careful what you wish for' category.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on February 01, 2016, 01:00:04 PM
My new band played this weekend.  We are very black sabbath sounding.  I am really stoked!

Nice!

liquidsmoke

What is up with 2 knob 2 pup guitars? What if you for whatever reason want to have a louder pup in one position but don't want to lower it all the way down to balance the volume? I get it on cheap guitars but if you spend real money on an axe it should have a volume and a tone knob for each pup.

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on February 01, 2016, 06:39:22 PM
Quote from: everdrone on February 01, 2016, 01:00:04 PM

Nice!

thanks brutha, Ill see if I can get some video proof of this shizzle up soon...