The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Quote from: Danny G on December 28, 2015, 11:15:30 AM
Brad Davis (Creepy Fingers) is building wahs now

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk

He built me a custom fixed wah pedal years ago that I really love.
Livin' The Life.

jibberish

I guess the theme of this post is "Boogie Woogie is a really cool piano style"

so , during the holidays "Nutrocker" got played a few times.  That song kicks ass and I was curious as to where it came from. They only play the Trans Siberian version now.

It turns out that a totally awesome boogie-woogie dude, Kim Fowler, arranged the nutcracker suite theme into awesome boogie woogie.
he did flight of the bumble bee into bumble boogie all around 1962.  It's on an ELP LP that I have. I never thought anything more than it was something keith emerson cooked up like his other western honky-tonk sounding compositions

I can't help wondering if JoAnn Castle, who was a 21yr hotty piano phenom and he were like pals or w/e in that circle in that day...something else to look in to.

so here is the original. I dig how this guy rolls.

B. Bumble and the Stingers  heh awesome name.

SO, you bet i'm going to learn this. I have found page 1 and page 4 of the original sheet music haha and I am scoping this dude out so I should be able to figure out the middle from his clean video

the really fun[ie mind bender] part is the boogie woogie bass with the slow melody being chorded on top....I assume it will take a month or two to get that, but the rest is deceptively easy

here is JoAnn Castle from like 1960. I was hypnotized by her piano playing, and Liberace's also when I was really little even. then I found out he was a fag.  but then it made sense why he dressed that way, and why he died that way....what a waste.

anyway she rules. total phenom. every video rules

Lumpy

Quote from: RacerX on December 31, 2015, 10:39:11 AM

Don't fix it if it 'aint broken.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

Quote from: Lumpy on January 02, 2016, 06:33:02 PM
Quote from: RacerX on December 31, 2015, 10:39:11 AM

Don't fix it if it 'aint broken.

Speaking of DFiiiAB, I'm still in love with my old Hendrix Crybaby.
Livin' The Life.

jibberish

I have something even more scarce than my original Dunlop jimi Hendrix wah from maybe 1990ish

wait for it.....

the original box it came in.

that was the lentine's music store era.   I got my HM-2 and that pedal and the first run alesis sr-15 drum machine and boss GM synth module all from there, plus 2 awesome reader's digest piano books. and maybe the Yamaha 4-track cassette too....  cakewalk version 1.0 that ran on DOS 4.0 or higher, all text mode graphics using ASCII characters, but it worked...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

regarding classical music: The main reason i would not want to be in a classical orchestra is that those are 100% cover bands.  that whole thought of doing nothing but learning someone else's art sounds deathly boring. like being condemned to learning kiss and toto covers for the rest of your life

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

free bandname :     Analog Skywalker

edit: this time i got the HM-2 right, vs mt-2 heh, but i needed to say crybaby not jimi Hendrix. i have a straight original crybaby, nothing to do with jimi

it's a GCB-95.

mortlock

jib, not to get technical but there are modern composers who write original compositions for orchestras currently.

jibberish

no arguments there ^.

i was thinking more from the perspective of the person sitting there with his/her French horn or clarinet or something and getting ANOTHER slab of sheet music to conquer.
learning songs to develop skill or because you like the song and want to play it too is a lot of work, but it is highly motivated.

that learning new strange piece after piece like a job is what i was bumming about.

and , of course there are people who love playing and getting something new to learn is part of their fun, and those are the people in the orchestras i guess heh.

everyone here is more into floating their own boat, which is great, and way more unique things happen.
and generally, if people around here cover something, they do it their way.

you are testimony with your really fun version of paperback writer.  and i know you were highly motivated to give that one the royal treatment heh.

i believe i felt the same thing when i heard "boot scootin boogie" i wanted to rage and destroy anything within my reach.  i almost lost my shit when those goobers said "blackjack, Cadillac, baby meet me out back.." just no.
i got them back tho.  my version will go viral and smother the sad original(which IMO, they stole their shit from the older sing "The Stroll")
"The Cloven Hoof Boogie"

more importantly, this gives us an avenue to slag other art we don't really like by turning it into something we do like

edit: i got a little xmas present green. Its name is Kandy. it must be heavy sativa because this is some righteous head tripping happening. i highly(nyuk nyuk) recommend this particular flavor

Submarine

There is also an enormous thrill of being part of a group of 100+ musicians playing highly sophisticated music. Covers or not.  Not that i have done it, but I have mixed world class orchestras and I am absolutely blown away by the collective technique, cohesiveness and mastery of dynamics.  It really puts you on the edge of your seat at times.

mortlock

one of my most favorite and heaviest records in my collection is this..

liquidsmoke

Any of you ever record a full length album to a click track and then find a drummer to record on it?

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

agent of change

Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 04, 2016, 06:17:18 PM
Any of you ever record a full length album to a click track and then find a drummer to record on it?

I've been the studio drummer for this situation once, for an industrial band. Some of that shit was barely even possible to play as a human with only four limbs. But I gave it my best shot. It was fun.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

black aspirin

Sure, blame it on a shortage of limbs!
This Juan goes to 11.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: agent of change on January 04, 2016, 08:35:37 PM

I've been the studio drummer for this situation once, for an industrial band. Some of that shit was barely even possible to play as a human with only four limbs. But I gave it my best shot. It was fun.

My shit is very easy to play along to. No odd timings and generally very few tempo changes other than half or double speed changes.

Danny G

I do that with my own music. Allows me to figure out exactly what kick/snare patterns work best for which parts.

Also the Ocean of Stars EP was recorded this way so the drummer could play to existing reference tracks.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

Quote from: Danny G on January 04, 2016, 09:24:49 PM

I do that with my own music. Allows me to figure out exactly what kick/snare patterns work best for which parts.

Also the Ocean of Stars EP was recorded this way so the drummer could play to existing reference tracks.

#srs useful info 4 me#

jibberish

Quote from: Submarine on January 03, 2016, 09:46:05 PM
There is also an enormous thrill of being part of a group of 100+ musicians playing highly sophisticated music. Covers or not.  Not that i have done it, but I have mixed world class orchestras and I am absolutely blown away by the collective technique, cohesiveness and mastery of dynamics.  It really puts you on the edge of your seat at times.

so subby, heh, what part of that cohesive orchestra blew you away the most?

for as much as I enjoy the orchestra, I actually have not taken advantage of severance hall and the clevo orch.  maybe I have been there 3 times my whole life? I r dum
BUT, when I was there, the part that blew me away each time was watching the violin/viola sections and hearing that incredibly rich buzz of w/e 3 dozen people playing the same thing, yet not exactly the same thing. and the bows are hypnotic.
it is jaw dropping and the French horns too. what a sound... anyway, I cant fault anyone who is one of those symphony addicts. live is the only way to hear that like that.

I kind of think being in the band and being assaulted by an orchestra operated by a bunch of fuck-off HS kids every day kind of took the shine off that scene for me.
We actually were chasing after guys like Maynard Fergusen and Chase(RIP what a waste) like the big prog jazz horns more in HS and that kind of set my future bias I guess.

Submarine

Quote from: jibberish on January 05, 2016, 01:30:20 AM
so subby, heh, what part of that cohesive orchestra blew you away the most?

for as much as I enjoy the orchestra, I actually have not taken advantage of severance hall and the clevo orch.  maybe I have been there 3 times my whole life? I r dum
BUT, when I was there, the part that blew me away each time was watching the violin/viola sections and hearing that incredibly rich buzz of w/e 3 dozen people playing the same thing, yet not exactly the same thing. and the bows are hypnotic.
it is jaw dropping and the French horns too. what a sound... anyway, I cant fault anyone who is one of those symphony addicts. live is the only way to hear that like that.

I kind of think being in the band and being assaulted by an orchestra operated by a bunch of fuck-off HS kids every day kind of took the shine off that scene for me.
We actually were chasing after guys like Maynard Fergusen and Chase(RIP what a waste) like the big prog jazz horns more in HS and that kind of set my future bias I guess.

Getting a 4 or 5 piece band to play something tight is an accomplishment.  To get 100+ to play something tight amplifies that feeling.  And yeah, hearing a string section all playing the same thing just makes the sound richer.  I like classical stuff but I'm not an expert by any stretch, however because i get to work with these types once in a while its always a positive experience.  The Zoolander II soundtrack orchestral recordings are going on right now in the venue i work in.  Its awesome.  I'll post some pics later today.

Submarine

Orchestral Recording Setup for the Zoolander II score.

Danny G

Dude that's awesome

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Mr. Foxen

Looking for a new drummer. Scored a headlining gig on New Years Eve, same place we paid £15 each to get in to year before, so bit of a score, and he took too much drugs to be able to play. Then complained our next gig is a shitty opening slot and we should push for better slots. Explained that you get better slots by not fucking up when you get given a great slot. The suggestion being in a band is not just something to fit around being off your face didn't sit well.

dogfood

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 06, 2016, 05:25:47 PM
Looking for a new drummer. Scored a headlining gig on New Years Eve, same place we paid £15 each to get in to year before, so bit of a score, and he took too much drugs to be able to play. Then complained our next gig is a shitty opening slot and we should push for better slots. Explained that you get better slots by not fucking up when you get given a great slot. The suggestion being in a band is not just something to fit around being off your face didn't sit well.

HA!
Problem solving whiskey!

RacerX

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 06, 2016, 05:25:47 PM

Sorry to hear it, but hopefully you'll get someone who can either hold his drugs or maintain an acceptable level of sobriety.
Livin' The Life.