The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantchris

You can always go for a used Peavey 215D or a Kustom 2x15 Tuck N Roll can all usually be had cheap used. 

everdrone

my gallien 410s weigh 40 pounds each, they are a dream!  they sound great, so Ill recommend lightweight gallien 115s to stack if that speaker type is needed.  I do prefer my 810 sound over that though.

115 new cheap and light:  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB115-II

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CX115

Danny G

If you can track down a Dietz 2x15 with EVs, DO EET!!!

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on December 12, 2015, 11:13:55 AM
115 new cheap and light:  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB115-II

200 watts is rather old timey by today's standards. I use 600s and sometimes need most of that power handling.

everdrone

ya true, I would prolly get the 115 non combo versions and a head if I wanted the 15''s

Lumpy

I wanted to buy a pedal on Ebay, it was listed for $50 "Buy It Now" but it said "Make Offer" too. So I offered him $40. He sent me back a counter-offer for $48 and a note saying that was as low as he would go.

WTF? ??? Why even  take offers, if you're only willing to go down by $2?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

socket

Just offer like 43 back. Fuck it.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

everdrone

Lumpy

I was so mystified that I let the counter-offer expire (eBay gives you like 2 days to reply).

Here's something else - some "make an offer" deals are set up so that it's an 'instant agree' and Ebay asks you to pay immediately.

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 01, 2015, 12:10:52 AM
Will report. It's got all the bells and whistles. My RMC is sounding way too trebly these days for whatever reason no matter how much I tweak the knobs although to be fair the last time I used it for E tuned psych rock was a few years back with a different guitar and amp.

how is the weeping demon wah pedal?  I got a need for that!  I do not like my footswitch mode wah and want an auto mode wah pedal :) can I haz?

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on December 16, 2015, 12:03:34 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 01, 2015, 12:10:52 AM
Will report. It's got all the bells and whistles. My RMC is sounding way too trebly these days for whatever reason no matter how much I tweak the knobs although to be fair the last time I used it for E tuned psych rock was a few years back with a different guitar and amp.

how is the weeping demon wah pedal?  I got a need for that!  I do not like my footswitch mode wah and want an auto mode wah pedal :) can I haz?

I like it. The tone is good and it's super adjustable and easy to operate so I'm going to use and record with it for awhile. If you need thee '60s wah sound this isn't the one though.

everdrone

cool man, Im prolly gonna get one too! Like you said the tone is good for the downtuned heavy rock stuff.  I like the bass wah function too.  win! 

Lumpy

The only tricky part with the Weeping Demon (for me) is getting the wah to "ease in" and not jump in suddenly (which you can do, with some adjusting). That's my first and only wah though, maybe they're all like that? I like to use it subtly too, like a filter - just barely there sometimes (and not working the treadle up and down). YMMV. It can come in dramatically too, if that's what you need.

everdrone

my jerry cantrell wah annoys me cause I am just not calibrated to it.

I turn it on and cant really hear it on in the mix, then I start wondering if I activated it.  so ya it comes on subtle sounding in the mix.  I could see how the active wah not being subtle is less wanted though.  I was looking at the Tremonti active wah too, but I like the weeping demon bass guitar option and just wanna hear more youtube videos of it.

Tremonti Wah:

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on December 16, 2015, 01:02:04 PM
cool man, Im prolly gonna get one too! Like you said the tone is good for the downtuned heavy rock stuff.

I've actually been working on more '60s style E standard psych stuff lately but I don't want to mess around trying a zillion wahs in search of the Clapton/Hendrix/etc sound again so I'm just using this one. I can't play for shit anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Quote from: everdrone on December 16, 2015, 06:27:12 PM
my jerry cantrell wah annoys me cause I am just not calibrated to it.

I turn it on and cant really hear it on in the mix, then I start wondering if I activated it.  so ya it comes on subtle sounding in the mix.  I could see how the active wah not being subtle is less wanted though.

If your dirt is after the wah it's going to be subtle. Try a distortion pedal in front or maybe try sticking it in your effects loop if you are using amp distortion.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on December 16, 2015, 05:28:32 PM
The only tricky part with the Weeping Demon (for me) is getting the wah to "ease in" and not jump in suddenly (which you can do, with some adjusting). That's my first and only wah though, maybe they're all like that?

Got mine brand new and the dial only controls the delay of the easing off, only it doesn't ease because it's sudden when it happens. They may have changed the unit. I suspect that every wah on the market is suddenly on with no easing option, stomp or 'switchless'. I think I generally mute the strings right before kicking or stepping unless I want that sudden sound. Timing rocking it off during a song is taking me a bit of getting used to because I have a bit of delay for that set to avoid the thing turning off and on over and over when my heel goes down.

Not analog, not trve bypass! Oh my!  ::)  :D

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 16, 2015, 11:26:51 PM
cool man, Im prolly gonna get one too! Like you said the tone is good for the downtuned heavy rock stuff.

I've actually been working on more '60s style E standard psych stuff lately but I don't want to mess around trying a zillion wahs in search of the Clapton/Hendrix/etc sound again so I'm just using this one. I can't play for shit anyway so it doesn't really matter.

If your dirt is after the wah it's going to be subtle. Try a distortion pedal in front or maybe try sticking it in your effects loop if you are using amp distortion.

cool man, my rat and pharaoh fuzz are in front of it, but in a band setting with the other guitarist I cant hear squat cause its so loud in a small room, and with the wah on I think possibly I get a volume drop if the pedal is on certain settings and... well I think I just like the idea of active no switch style so I can do a little wah whenever I want without the fusss :-) 

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on December 17, 2015, 12:13:34 AM

cool man, my rat and pharaoh fuzz are in front of it, but in a band setting with the other guitarist I cant hear squat cause its so loud in a small room, and with the wah on I think possibly I get a volume drop if the pedal is on certain settings and... well I think I just like the idea of active no switch style so I can do a little wah whenever I want without the fusss :-) 

Can you turn it's volume up? The treble part of the sweep should come through loud and clear.

Lumpy

I forget how I set the Weeping Demon to ease in more... it's been a while since I used it. I'll fire it up again, but right now I have it set for "normal" on the Range slider switch (not low) with the "Lo" knob turned almost all the way up. I test it from zero to 10% engaged, and try to make that sound as smooth as possible.

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 17, 2015, 01:00:29 AM

Can you turn it's volume up? The treble part of the sweep should come through loud and clear.

nope, no volume control.  I would like it if it was auto wah, I mean I notice it is on after a few seconds of pumping the wah pedal since then my ear can pick up on the treble part of the sweep.  but ya I just really want the weeping demon now, thanks for the heads up, cheers :)

jibberish

I just debuted my epic 20 minute song, "Jibb's Bolero" for my friends from NC. I also played my whole Christmas set and the songs i'm working on for our much revered HS band director, uncle Kenny. they really liked it, so maybe I video it.

uncle Kenny (ken mehalko), is mr music of strongstucky now and runs all the community music events. 
my buddy and I and my other best friend with the trombone all graduated together, and we are still terrorizing the countryside

the really awesome part was that I want nervous at all. I was 100% having fun with it.

spookstrickland

Quote from: everdrone on December 17, 2015, 06:24:05 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 17, 2015, 01:00:29 AM

nope, no volume control.  I would like it if it was auto wah, I mean I notice it is on after a few seconds of pumping the wah pedal since then my ear can pick up on the treble part of the sweep.  but ya I just really want the weeping demon now, thanks for the heads up, cheers :)

Talk to Joe Gagan, he can either build you a wah or fix your wah to do anything you need, he is a nice guy and will give you the time and talk you through this.

https://www.youtube.com/user/joegagan?app=desktop&persist_app=1
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Danny G

Brad Davis (Creepy Fingers) is building wahs now

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

Danny G

Ocean of Stars bassist is swinging by this afternoon to finalize the bass line for the single we're recording.

There are some variations in the kick/snare that'll be locked in, and maybe a few other minor tweaks.

Can hopefully track soon, bass is the final piece and eager to get this mixed!

Danny G

Ok pre-pro bass is done tho the days had to be switched.

Forgot Deann Rene band had moved rehearsal from Tuesday to Monday at same time. So was able to reschedule with Melanie for Tuesday. DR rehearsal went great. Then spent about 3 hours going through the Ocean of Stars song section by section and it sounds great. Now to schedule studio time to knock it out and begin mixing.

Stoked!