The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

We're all gettin old.

I've been trying to go out more as of late to network for Ocean of Stars. And last week I hope will earn me some extra credit as I can't get us gigs for shit:

Monday: return home from grueling 11-shows-in-10-days tour after an all day drive from Apline TX (google map that shit). Went to see Apostle of Solitude that night as I have seen Satisfried since 2004

Tuesday: in town gig

Wednesday: went out to see friends play at a venue I'm trying to hit up.

Thursday: rehearsal with another band

Friday: off, stayed home. Needed it.

Saturday: afternoon show in Dallas. Home by 7:30pm. Went to see friends in an old band play. Sat in on one song. Booking agent wasn't there. Shit. Fuck it, had fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

socket

explain this "tired" again. Kidding.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

khoomeizhi

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 04, 2015, 02:26:35 PM
I can't get to sleep before 3 without melatonin.

that would seriously blow - i get up at 4:45 most mornings.

and danny, i doubt anyone would accuse you of 'rarely going to shows'.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Danny G

Thanks.

It's usually a case of missing great shows cause I have a gig.

Kind of a catch 22 that my own band's progress is somewhat stagnated because I'm too busy playing with other bands.

It's almost enough to want to work a straight job so I can focus on my own shit for once.

But fuck working a straight job. (Says the guy who's freelancing for the SXSW Eco conference next three days)

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

RacerX

I just ordered the Tech21 Oxford pedal. Gonna try replacing that Mesa V-Twin preamp pedal I've been using for so long with the Oxford.

If that doesn't work, I may try the Oxford in front of the chain in place of the modded DS-1 I use for pre-modulation fx dirt.
Livin' The Life.

everdrone

I have the Tech21 Oxford pedal :)

RacerX

Well, it got here, and I am VERY impressed.

Haven't done much but start at the "Sabbath Bass" suggested settings and worked a bit from there so far, but it sounds pretty tits already. Tomorrow I'll hit it with some Meathead fuzz & see how it responds.
Livin' The Life.

giantchris

Quote from: RacerX on October 07, 2015, 09:52:48 PM
Well, it got here, and I am VERY impressed.

Haven't done much but start at the "Sabbath Bass" suggested settings and worked a bit from there so far, but it sounds pretty tits already. Tomorrow I'll hit it with some Meathead fuzz & see how it responds.
The Oxford is great I like to use it as a DI box for guitar cleans with a wampler slostorstion for dirt and it sounds awesome.  It takes pedals surprisingly well.

RacerX

Well, I love the sound of the Oxford alone, but after I dial in a good tone without extra fuzz, the Meathead is a bit too trebly and boosty to play nice with it.

I tried the fuzz before & after the Oxford and moved the Oxford around, as well, but still no luck. Also picked around with the speaker emulation button, but I don't like the sound of that through a real cabinet very much—I'm sure it helps if you go DI, but I don't. For now, things are sounding pretty okay with this signal chain:

TU-2 > Cool Cat Vibe > Qx (fixed wah with Q adjustment & boost) > Hendrix Crybaby > Tech21 Oxford > modded Boss DS-1 > Morley volume pedal > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss DD-6 > practice amp (Blackstar HT-5 set up clean).

Hopefully, when I try it through the Mesa 50/50 power amp I use live, I'm hoping the lack of a preamp stage may reduce the feedback issue & allow me to work the Meathead back in.
Livin' The Life.

RacerX

Yeah, that definitely helped things. I also turned the line level on the Oxford down some.

Meathead is back in place of DS-1.
Livin' The Life.

jibberish

hey chief, how do your 2 delays perform for you when used together?  I was kicking around the malekko vs carbon copy and I wanted more crazy from one pedal, so I ended up with the malekko.

but I never thought of putting a digital behind an analog delay. With 2 delays, full on crazy from one unit isn't that necessary and the carbon copy is nice, albeit a bit more restrained or mellower or w/e

I think the recording room is about finished gearwise.  I cant wait to get back to just buying noisy toys.

it is getting down to the wire:
-I still need 2 of those 4 x 1 passive MIDI splitters from sweetwater
-I want to get a couple more mics yet, including that MXL ribbon when it goes on sale. Also, just as importantly, snag 2 EV cobalt vocal mics and one more 57.
-the 17-pedal sound design MIDI foot controller to finish all my foot control. I can build on/off/sustain or any kind of switched pedals myself
-one celestion greenback for low power recording
-hi-tech clip-on tuner. haven't decided yet in which one. I will wait until CES on this one possibly because microprocessor doodads are really being massively developed these days.
(I would expect some clown like behringer to emulate strymon's stuff  for a fraction of the price at some point. Strymon has to put their algorithm into a chip in order to sell their  pedal, so it is there for the taking.)
-eBow

fun toys after the bullshit will be that honey tele with the suicide switchplate/single coils and brass parts in the tailpiece. that baby sings.
also a blitz of used synths as they get replaced by newer models
annnd I am getting an Ibanez acoustic bass because of the fun factor.
just piling up the ca$hi$h for now........

RacerX

Fuck it. Meathead still too shrill/feedbacky with the Oxford.

Flipped the V-Twin & picked up a Fulltone Fat boost and some other stuff.

Meathead out; Fat Boost in, and it is sounding BADASS.

TU-2 > Cool Cat Vibe > Qx (fixed wah with Q adjustment & boost) > Hendrix Crybaby > Tech21 Oxford > Fulltone Fat Boost > Morley volume pedal > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss DD-6 > Mesa 50/50 power amp > split into 1968 Sunn 4x12 (Original rebranded Jenson "Sunn Transducer Speakers") & Avatar 2x12 (Celestial G12H30s).
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

I impulsively bought a Boss DD-3 on Ebay. I think I spent too much ($60) especially because I'd rather have the DD-6 (warp mode). The DD-3 has a Hold (freeze) mode though.

Stupid G.A.S.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

Wow, you actually took the vtwin out of the loop?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

neighbor664

Racer, I've been waiting to see how that worked out for you.

everdrone

here is my clip of the oxford tech 21 pedal used for all guitars:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance/behemoth-awakens[/soundcloud]

RacerX

Yes, the V-Twin is dead; long live the Oxford!! The Fat Boost was also just what the Dr. ordered.

At practice today, things were sounding very good, indeed!!
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Dead as in needs repaired, or just going off into the gearpile in the sky?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Joined my friend's Frosty/blacky/thrashy band on bass. They just want root notes and I'm fine with that. Had my first practice with them yesterday and it went well and was fun. First gig will be in a month. I have a lot to memorize but I'm not worried. My newly acquired Ibanez Mikro bass(guitar sized and 28.6" scale) is working out well into my new Amptweaker TightMetal Pro(guitar pedal) for dirt. Using the 'P' pup only with the tone knob on zero. Very fat and warm sounding and not too muddy.

These are the folks who also want to do the old/trad doom metal tribute band.

Fuck yeah!

Additionally I want to write and record more Emerald Douglas stuff for a drummer to track over later, maybe start on some new Orogen material, and record a rough short demo of some of my '60s/psych ideas where I play all of the instruments myself.

The dishes and laundry can just pile up.

RacerX

Quote from: VOLVO))) on October 10, 2015, 11:53:27 PM
Dead as in needs repaired, or just going off into the gearpile in the sky?

Only metaphorically dead—it resides in the local Music-Go-Round now.
Livin' The Life.

Danny G

Ocean of Stars reconvening rehearsal this coming week. Refreshing the existing material (haven't played together since gig in August) and beginning work on some new.

I really need to play guitar at the house. Played a gig with Bleu last night and definitely felt that fact that I've barely touched a 6-string since a gig 2 weeks ago... :/

Playing bass has def made me s bit lazy/complacent. "Eh, I play all the time. I don't feel like it. Blah blah blah."

Well genius, playing bass and playing guitar are like power lifting and being a gymnast respectively.

Practice, you lazy SOB. You don't want to suck at your OWN music, do you?

//end internal dialog

liquidsmoke

Tip: Don't leave a guitar in a case in a basement for years. The metal on it can turn green.

Submarine

Quote from: everdrone on October 10, 2015, 05:52:07 PM
here is my clip of the oxford tech 21 pedal used for all guitars:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance/behemoth-awakens[/soundcloud]

yeah thats a spicy meatball. ;D

everdrone

Danny G

Been playing the Ocean of Stars material at home yesterday n today in prep for rehearsal tonight.

Feels good! I've missed playing this stuff and looking forward to tonight!