The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

ok, we have been kicking around developing a new band merch business model for a while now.

the 1st piece to the puzzle was when my sis obtained the capabilities to one-off items. this lets you beat a silkscreen screen/setup for small quantities.

we knew that the bands needed to be working on their music and presence vs being jc penneys retail clones and getting distracted financially, storing stock and generally dealing with retail sales bullshit.

so th emaking single items and drop shipping problem is gone.  we were stuck on the website/introduction of the fans to the merch. none of us wants to be web weavers.

now bandcamp is here. they wove the web so we don't have to. your music and merch has a place now for the world to see

they play off the back end like how amazon does auctions. when the money comes in  from the sale, the money gets split

Now bandcamp has a provision to attach a paypal. typically the band's paypal.  I will have my sis use her paypal on anything I set up, so I avoided a big problem.

the problem is that the model is still missing a couple pieces in the "funds dispersement" category.   

when a merch item is paid for, the BC peeps take their cut and drop the rest into the band's paypal.  somewhere some further administration is needed to provide the merch mfr and the band their respective proper cuts.

possible thouhts would be to ask paypal to get one notch deeper into splitting the money and be able to register the band AND the merch vendor

work out some arrangement where the band transfers the merch mfr cut, but it is sketchy trying to make accountants out of musicians....

more input is needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not private messaging this because if we can figure this shit out properly, and we will, everyone here can benefit from this merch model, especially when extra cash isn't a real common thing as a rule for most of us.

RacerX

Thanks anyway, but I'd pay good money to ensure you had nothing to do with my band's merch.
Livin' The Life.

jibberish

you actually bring up a point that needs clarified:

this isn't about getting business specifically for my sis. this is about building a model for merch that is really nice and smooth for the bands.
you may have your pal somewhere in NM that makes custom t-shirts.   we are trying to shift the paradiggum for everyone.
think bigger than just me and you. I just happen to have the situation that precipitated this line of thought.

RacerX

Regardless, you are dong-level insane and I want nothing to do with you.

Livin' The Life.

jibberish

ok, moving right along, for any of you who actually like the idea of streamlining merch to only collecting money on the back end, any thoughts?

I keep thinking about if bandcamp would set up a vendor registry or something where they could attach merch vendors to the bandcamp acct, the whole thing could be automated:

customer orders merch from bandcamp page
order goes to merch vendor and confirmation goes to band.
when money comes in, bandcamp takes their cut, puts the vendor cost in the vendor paypal and the rest into the band paypal.
merch vendor drop ships the merch and the band never even sees or touches the merch

mortlock

"Basically sounding like the worst Sunn O))) cover band you've ever heard."

"the band just proceeds to clusterfuck the crap out of anything resembling music. The last track is so lo-fi it literally sounding like a recording, of a recording, recorded and played from a cassette Walkmen."

all in true hades mining co fashion!!

http://builttoblast-vii.blogspot.com/2015/09/adult-diseases.html

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

mortay.  \m/

wait

\m/ortay

yeah....

jibberish

ok, insane idea number 703

I want to get one of those really hi end car subs of at least 18" diameter with wtf 2000 watts power handling. something with a stupid low free air resonance and stupid long travel.

places like mb quart make that shit. we have a store with hi end car audio. holy shit is it primo.

Then I want to make a big steel adapter that this big sub mounts to.  the other part of the adapter mounts airtight to a manhole in place of the manhole cover

where is mr foxxen. ponder the volume of that woofer cabinet. ponder the stiffness of the cabinet being cement entombed in the ground.  I believe you could hear god's bass for the first time in your life. like REALLY hear 15-20hz. you can only do it outdoors too.  or in a really big building like a coliseum or giant cathedral.

also, tell me this would NOt be an awesome addition to some flash mob dance party in some random new York alley.  it's all about dat bass, dat bass, dat bass.
pull up with the van, rig the rig. use some kind of monster cable speaker wire yeah!, and have 2 batteries in the vehicle, along with a super heavy duty alternator, a giant mono powerblock and 6 pack of 1 farad caps to bump the bump.

Dylan Thomas

Damn, Palace is REALLY firing on all cylinders at this point.  Creatively, we're writing some of the best stuff of my musical career.  Live....we're putting on some of the best performances of our lives.  It didn't want to do a lot of live shows initially, though the way we were in the practice space this week, it was really special, and I'm booking at least two more shows in the fall because I feel like we need to get this out on the stage.

I really appreciate how much hard work everyone has put into this project, it's really paying off in dividends, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the outcome of a project that was rekindled just to have fun and see what happens....
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

agent of change

Bass player in Radiant Beings of Light just confirmed that he is moving to Portland OR next summer with his family. Major blow. Not only is he an amazing human being we have grown to love and create amazing music with, but he also is a real bass player currently ruling a 6 string fretless with us. So now the guitarist and I are wondering... what the fuck do we do?!?
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

mortlock

thats a bummer. it will be hard to replace a dude who can play the 6 string fretless. thats sick

jibberish

hey AoC, NOW the PNW is nicer than wherever you live now.

what's keeping you from moving too?

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: jibberish on September 11, 2015, 02:16:01 AM
hey AoC, NOW the PNW is nicer than wherever you live now.

what's keeping you from moving too?

I'm thinking job, house, family?  I could be wrong....

That is a tough seat to fill, a 6 string fretless bass.  Good luck finding someone suitable, I'm sure something will arise that's comparable!!
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

agent of change

WTF is a NOW PNW? Asheville is pretty tough to beat, job, house and family notwithstanding.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

VOLVO)))

But no six string fretless bass players, man.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

You can get a different bass player, it just won't be 6 string fretless, it will be something different. Keep it going.

agent of change

Thanks for the encouragement folks. Gonna keep playing. It's just that phase where you bemoan what you've lost and worry that what comes next might not be as awesome, somehow. We have figured out that we're not willing to play with someone who sucks just to play. So there's that.

Lumpy

It is damn near impossible to keep a band going, and kudos to the people who can.

jibberish

AoC, I was just making a little joke. I can explain thoroughly if you wish, but sunno basically already explained. heh.
sorry if I upset you, it was supposed to make you laugh.

edit:
I broke 3 strings today. 2 E's and a G. who breaks a G?

that is one thing about having a few guitars. it doesn't kill your roll, just grab another one and keep going.

zachoff

ROWDYBEER and I are recording next weekend (the 19th).  New drummer.  More thrash than doom.  Super excited.

RacerX

SANDIA MAN at Gordyfest last Saturday...

Such a great event—SLEEP headlined & mucho dinero was raised for Gordy.
Livin' The Life.

agent of change

Quote from: jibberish on September 11, 2015, 10:21:39 PM
AoC, I was just making a little joke. I can explain thoroughly if you wish, but sunno basically already explained. heh.
sorry if I upset you, it was supposed to make you laugh.

No upsetz here dude, just didn't get it.

;D

everdrone

wow!  Cant get cooler than sharing the stage with sleep!