The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Weedeater cancelled the second half of their tour, & our first show back from hiatus was going to be opening for Weedeater next week.

eh, we still have 2 others upcoming, but we were really looking forward to this one, dang it.
Livin' The Life.

agent of change

That sucks. They have a rep for doing that around here. But I think they did just play a show Sunday night. Wonder what happened...
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

khoomeizhi

let's dispense the unpleasantries

jibberish

all this stuff I have been trying to use to energize bass guitar strings similar to an actual violin bow, have met with varying degrees of failure.
there are a bunch of issues.
1)the item makes too much commotion right at point of contact and doesn't really "sing" the strings.
2)if it is made of metal, that just makes too nasty of a racket.  those 2 sax players in that wall of audio death star they make could probably use that electrocuted gerbil sound that really has nothing to do with the bass making tones.
3)the items that actually do get the strings playing also tend to damp them out.

A really worn out, but very stiff natural bristle scrub brush is what I want to try.  the file card would have worked to some degree minus the millions of metal contacts a second. you could sort of scrub the string in a circle and get a bizarre sustain going, but that noise was too much..can't be metal.

I am also tempted to just go with an envelope generator.  come on. someone has to have a good reputation pedal that makes a bass sound like a cello heh.
alternately, a microbrute may be a good deal when you add up the filter AND the envelope sections.

I'l just keep experimenting and kicking it around to see if some unique repeatable sounds show up. in the mean time, playing the bass normally through nasty pedal stuff will do.
------------------------------------------------

I had a sprightly practice on guitar to that metal jam for like 1/2 hr straight, after doing drills and some slow blues jamming for an hour prior.
my hands are tired, but that schecter is fast like the ultraswede or the tele, well maybe not the tele. the tele is probably my fastest guitar. small and precise.

mortlock

jib, you need an actual bow and flat wound strings and lots of rosin. then you can kinda get your electric to sound like an upright bass being bowed. nothing sounds like a real upright though. 

jibberish

Quote from: mortlock on August 18, 2015, 07:51:53 PM
jib, you need an actual bow and flat wound strings and lots of rosin. then you can kinda get your electric to sound like an upright bass being bowed. nothing sounds like a real upright though. 

yeah, see that's what I want to avoid.  Ideally I would like to do this with an unmodified instrument so you could just grab the doo-dad and make some crazy sustain-y  droning, then drop the doo-dad and return to regular playing.

So I don't necessarily want to emulate any actual bowed instrument. I have synths for that anyway. I just want to get a "bowed-like" thing going, and maybe all avenues have been tried and exhausted over time and I am just re-inventing the square fail wheel. 

"easy attack" and "active sustain" are the more accurate, more generic effects I want.  bowed strings just happen to also do those 2 things.
and at the end of the day, exploration is never a bad thing, fail or win.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so composing noise tunes isn't quite as easy as I thought it would be.   the trick seems to be to create coherent garbage vs garbage garbage. 
my first song concept for the holy crap project is "waterboarding from the inside"  heh
and I want the holy crap theme song to be extra "just right" because my noise project is going to have much humor injected as well as bombastic audio.
the MIDI controlled dryer is going to happen. But before that, I will have more normal stuff like triggered sound effects and other computer shit, evil weird al songs where I changed the lyrics to the dark side, fucked up mashups, and whatever crazy and surprising things I can cook up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see places are selling inverted pots and pans as nu percussion. I don't have an immediate link. but like this is the next big thing since cajons.
3-4 years ago my 2 nephews and I set up an immense array of whatever noisy metal stuff we could dig up and commenced to inaugurate "The Magoomba Rhythm Section".
it sounded so awesome to blastbeat metal shit heh. and they wailed a blastbeat on all that shit. I was laughing the whole time it was so awesome. like some of those street drummer videos where they have just a pile of misc crap to wail on.

my buddy stosh came up with a fucking hilarious idea: the marching band dumpster. rolling a big modified dumpster along slamming the doors and beating on those huge metal sides.  talk about bottom end.  heh. funny shit.

RacerX

Quote from: mortlock on August 18, 2015, 07:51:53 PM

Playing with a pick through a Volume pedal > Big Muff > Delay comes pretty close.
Livin' The Life.

everdrone

ok so I downloaded screaming lessons  http://www.screaminglessons.com/

I am getting a bit more of a compressed sound and some distortion in my voice, it is coming along good, I wanna record some original stuff with youtube mixed like this soon, here is a Soundgarden song that I sang:

https://youtu.be/GH7t1Sd8tNg

Pissy

forgive me if I missed a reference to this, but I think that Jib, you need an ebow.  They work for bass.

Vinyls.   deal.

jibberish

you're coming along there everdrone. that would get you by in most situations, especially with just a touch of room sized reverb to widen the vocals.
the chocolate rain kid is very good at turning his head to breathe away from a large diaphragm mic. first thing I noticed. then I stopped the video heh. could only take so much of that.

so when will you start the Tuuvan throat singing?
from horsing around all these years, I have my own assortment of sounds, and I know very well what things I have to watch it or risk trashing my voice. "Deploy all zylon fighters" is one I will only bust out to record it. and only do that a couple times then maybe never again.   the semi truck shifting thru the gears also has been retired, but I can still occasionally do the chainsaw heh.  I have learned to do everything carefully and sort of quietly, but with power.
Chuck schuldiner of death  was a very careful screamer I guess you could say. check out some death albums. skip the 6' under albums for now.

fwiw, maybe one of the best vocalist in metal was GWAR's. he did so many sounds and styles and crazy shit.  guys like Dio and bruce D, halford or even cornell have/had one nice delivery, but it is one delivery for everything. even king diamond goes all over the map with his vocals if you really pay attention to just what he is doing on so many of his tunes

that's why I like some of the ladies of metal. they throw all kinds of different vocals at you. Kittie was phenomenal at that. the chick fronting OTEP maybe the queen of the beauty and the beast vocals. also ms love on her earlier albums like "live through this" used everything too.  great stuff. some chicks have a distinct advantage in the vocal department.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
testament is the epitome of straight down the pipe metal.

"The Gathering", from 1999 I think, is the all around epitome of metal albums IMO.

Here is thee correct spelling fyi:

\m/ T E S T A M E N T \m/

edit: simulpost. I will look at this ebow straightaway. thx :)

edit edit: yes this thing is nice. I believe I want it.
thanks to this goofy short video(dude fucked up the thunderstruck riff I think. sounded like one note was wrong every time)

Pissy

I saw Testament with Anthrax a few years ago and was disappointed.  Skolnik only half played rhythm.  Plus it's tough seeing guys like that after they're old.  It's a fact of life, but it doesn't make one feel as though they saw the band that they became a fan of.   Eric Peterson was the show.  He is obviously the main fuel for that band.  At least now, if not then.
Vinyls.   deal.

jibberish

awww that sucks.
I admit, I saw them more like 10years ago on that tour with halford and immortal. all 3 bands brought it but testament killed it. just wow.
I have not seen them since.

khoomeizhi

jesus, i haven't seen them since 1992, touring with iron maiden and blind-era coc.  not sure i knew they were still a thing.

and i do some tuvan-style throatsinging (aka khoomei), and yeah, you could hurt yourself trying some things un-trained/ready. there's muscles that most people hardly use that need strengthened a lot before some of it's even possible.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

everdrone

Quote from: jibberish on August 20, 2015, 05:57:38 AM
you're coming along there everdrone. that would get you by in most situations, especially with just a touch of room sized reverb to widen the vocals.
the chocolate rain kid is very good at turning his head to breathe away from a large diaphragm mic. first thing I noticed. then I stopped the video heh. could only take so much of that.

Thanks for the listen jibberish, I appreciate the constructive criticism!  I think that because I did not have the noisegate turned on the extra breathing noise was bothering me, so I need to turn it back on ;)  I dont have a diaphram mic but that pop-filter is big.  I might try just singing without it to make it more like on stage.  Ill try more reverb too, chocolate rain kid lol!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D cheers :)

everdrone

YAAA!!! THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE TUNES!!! DO YOU DIG???

ALICE IN CHAINS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u76g2uDbtik

I recorded it today just now, one take wonder

I am getting better at vocal distortion  :P ;D ;D ;D

RacerX

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it would be to play a fretless guitar.

Edit: One piece of wood—nice.

Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

It's not bad if you have good ears. I took to it pretty quick, chords are difficult. No bends. All slides.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

The single note stuff probably isn't that far off from playing bottleneck, but yeah, chording must be a bitch.
Livin' The Life.

mortlock

micro tones. if any one says youre out of tune. just say micro tones.

jibberish

holy crap! the end of October is turning into epic:

acid king oct 28, now that's class
YOB oct 31, beachland ballroom

fuckin a.
I bought all those cd's from danno, 'bout time I get to see these bands.

merch tables! prepare to meet thy doom!  jonesing for vinyl......

jibberish

so I just registered a bandcamp page for my secret hidden chamber orchestra. I have a 13song 75min album almost ready to go up.  my merch will be Cadillac all the way too

my sis runs a custom clothing business and we will take merch to a whole new place.   I think the "produce the merch on demand and drop ship it" method is the way to go.
I think ordering 100 shirts to tie up your money and space is a really old and crude method. order enough for the merch table and that's it. the rest gets drop shipped and the band doesn't even handle the actual merch. I would have thought danny g might have been interested in merch money without fronting the merch.
you can have infinite merch in your selection if you don't actually have to make it beforehand. just pull the image file, print the 1-off piece and ship it based on a bandcamp order or anywhere it is ordered from. that is the wonderful machine I have waiting for me to use.

my sis is also a very respected artist. her coffee mugs are in every cracker barrel in the usa and her art has been in lots of American greetings projects. that is who I want as my technical art adviser, so we can dominate.  google: bagnabit    and u can check out her brick and mortar store. (and buy some stuff, she is a super square shooter)
I have a 12 needle embroidery machine to fix too.  needle 12 is fucked up. there are frames for embroidering hats even vs sewing on a pre-made patch.

pissy would dig the mechanicals of an embroidery machine. lots of servos and positioning doo-dads, encoders, steppers yada yada.  the software is the big $. it has to create something that is sewable from basically any random image. think old school CAD plotters that operated on a loose interpretation of vectors to fill in solid areas.

edit: bagnabit's facebook page has a ton of pics of what my sister does and has in her store. it's awesome.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bagnabit/121719441172597?sk=photos_stream

Pissy

My g-ma was into embroidery.  She did a few things for the band back in the day as well as typical grandma crafts, like blankets and stuff.   Pretty sure it's all still set up, but now she's in her 90's and doesn't get to it that much.

But yeah, converting the art to vector images is the key. 
Vinyls.   deal.

jibberish

IDK if anyone else besides rager has a malekko 616 delay, but it has a feature that is really nice and not that common.
my delay is the last step in any chain and it actually has an active buffer when it is turned off to help with hojding the volume constant when switching the effect in and out.
this also lets me run a splitter no sweat.  you can turn the buffer off for trve bypass too of course.  PLUS the modulation tweak trim pots are all outside.
this lil fucker is really well thought out.   that is all.

https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/ekko-616-mkii/

edit: just generalizing about pedals. I have 2 regular use pedals now: the malekko delay and the pharaoh supreme. both were purchased with multi use on synths and guitar and bass in mind. so far they have not disappointed me. and I have the old boss HM-2 for that special tone , but haven't really needed to use it for a while now.
I actually have a 4th "pedal" which is my greta amp's pre-amp tube section for a tube driver. it's maybe too touchy and too small of a sweet spot, so I have been auditioning other tube drivers.  after checking out a ton of demo vids and playing with the pedals at the stores, I am not really impressed by the other distortions or delays. nothing so radical as to justify a $100-$200 investment that's for sure. some of the flangers etc are really limited in their application too.  if you want all that shit, get a digital multieffect and be done with it.
just IMO BLAH-BLAH-BLAHGGING

edit2: one of the 1st secret hidden chamber orchestra songs I made was one I actually put on soundcloud. whole album is "symphonic trance and orchestral jams". I noticed that I am most influenced by Claude Debussey on many of the other tracks. this one was more bombastic bach influenced I think heh. FWIW
these are done live on 1 take and my goal has always been to create a thick audio tapestry, so it's getting there. once I get my mininova/ultranova I can get the foot controller and crazy pads etc going too. All these songs are just with 2 keyboards and no MIDI foot controllers so this is a good sample of what people are going to be hearing out in the middle of a cornfield or the park or wherever I set up and play.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/doktordeath/fantasyandfudgeincminor1amp[/soundcloud]

Danny G

Yes. Very interested in stockless/investment free Merch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com