The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beta Cloud

Quote from: mortlock on August 05, 2015, 11:41:41 PM
im in love with the little tuners you clip onto your guitar/bass headstock.

just got this... best $50 i ever spent. best tuner i've ever used. sold my floor tc tuner. get one.
why does it hurt when i pee?

spookstrickland

Quote from: everdrone on August 03, 2015, 07:03:39 AM
thanks for the encouragement spookstrickland! Im putting in the daily hard work. The training is going good, its a long journey but fun. 

Thats the key just doing it every day.  I know wheni sing every day my voice and control are much better than if i go long petiods . With out singing.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

everdrone

thanks Spook for the encouragement! 

I have been singing every day for two months going strong!  I only have missed days when I tried to do the rasp/distortion/compression and the next day found out my throat is sore so dont do thatz...

jibberish

you got me laughing talking about "leavin' on a jet plane".   
Takes me back to open mic nites, which I went to for some time pretty consistently.  my first attempts at playing guitar in front of people were at open mic nites.
that's where I learned that total fail and humiliation isn't the end. but I digress..

theeee most hated open mic song that I know of is exactly THAT song. and someone always has to do it.  every week. IDK what it is about that song but it ticks people off, not just me.

my sincere recommendation is to keep that one in the shower only. heh.

everdrone

Quote from: jibberish on August 09, 2015, 05:57:19 AM
you got me laughing talking about "leavin' on a jet plane".  
Takes me back to open mic nites, which I went to for some time pretty consistently.  my first attempts at playing guitar in front of people were at open mic nites.
that's where I learned that total fail and humiliation isn't the end. but I digress..

theeee most hated open mic song that I know of is exactly THAT song. and someone always has to do it.  every week. IDK what it is about that song but it ticks people off, not just me.

my sincere recommendation is to keep that one in the shower only. heh.

between relating to me b y telling me total fail and humiliation isnt the end and to keep the cover I played to myself, I dunno what to say!!! :D

I get it brutha, Ill keep it up and I did not realize that song was so popular, fortunately there are a million other open mic night songs.  I am working on 3 originals I wanna record soon.

jibberish

don't read too much into that. my times at open mic has nothing to do with you. just remembering that is where I got over being afraid to screw up along with that song being generally disliked.

everdrone

jibberish

I wonder if the name "Holy Crap" has been taken. there's the name for a noise band like mortay's. I want to cover the fucked up record song.
but I need a name.

I am getting this bass to make all sorts of obscene sounds. I want to design a violin bow without the horseshit, er horsehair and general finickiness of a real bow.
my first try will be a long strip of Velcro. it has 2 textures; the STICKOR fuzz part and the STICKEE plastic nubs part. maybe one or both of those textures will agitate the strings in an even more heinous way. maybe stick it onto a block of Styrofoam like a big sanding block, idk..need more thought....

I am going to avoid power tools until I have exhausted any and all other options..

mortlock

ive 'prepared' basses as well as used all sorts of unusual items to play the bass with.
we should do a holy crap / hmco split.

everdrone

yall are encouraging me to do cover songs and stuff, so I made my first cover song video:  https://youtu.be/7z9xtCpcpyo

its STP

liquidsmoke

Baritone > dirt pedal > tube guitar head > 15" bass cabs = ridiculously warm tone

spookstrickland

Quote from: everdrone on August 07, 2015, 06:34:44 PM
thanks Spook for the encouragement! 

I have been singing every day for two months going strong!  I only have missed days when I tried to do the rasp/distortion/compression and the next day found out my throat is sore so dont do thatz...

Vocal distortin can be brutal on your throat.  Back in my early years singing trying to distort I used way too much preasure and at times could taste Blood in my mouth.  Im lucky i still have a voice.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

liquid, i checked out your bandcamp. very cool sound your rig has. it is a big sound. mortay should cover the title track heh. i actually want to hear those swells on the full rig full volume after taking a giant 1-hit of churchOG, and try to keep standing heh...and not drop my pbr pounder either....(yeah, if i was in WI, i would be drinking pbr's at the show)

mortay, speaking of hofner basses, and unfortunately the beatles,  that acousticness and tone comes through nicely on so many beatles tunes.  i guarantee i have pulled the hofner off the wall at GC. it is so compact and super light since it isn't a slab, and it has acoustic tone which no other bass on that wall has(even the 5 string 2 grand stingray that i covet cant do it heh).  i do love the irony: sir paul AND sir mortay play the same axe.

also, there will be a bit of bleep-bloop in my noise project. in the day, i freaked out when one of my synths got away from me. now i will be hoping for it.
i am still hot on the trail of thee ultimate ghetto drum machine: old dryer.  in the meantime i want to find some unusual rhythm/beat devices.
you can mic some little piece of shit making noise, then eq and reverb/delay it into something huge. i saw a youtube where a bunch of good ole boys fired up the 1928 tractor and used the super slow, super steady idle of that putsy putsy thing to jam to. i laughed my ass off at the idea and those boys jammed out their chet atkins tune or wtf they played

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i may need to mosey up to Lakewood and visit a particular bar. in fact, the very bar that dinger visited, and see what the acid king ticket situation is like. there is zero excuse upon the face of this earth for me to miss that show oct 28.  i will probably grab 4 or maybe 6 tickets.  hook dogfood up if he wants...

edit: in case anyone wonders, mortay came from "trading places". eddie murphy said it to Mortimer heh. "heyyy mortayyyy"

everdrone

Quote from: spookstrickland on August 12, 2015, 04:23:56 AM

Vocal distortin can be brutal on your throat.  Back in my early years singing trying to distort I used way too much preasure and at times could taste Blood in my mouth.  Im lucky i still have a voice.

yikes! ya I have a problem producing vocal distortion, Ill stay away from it and do Queens of the STone Age or similar styles of singing and just try to learn some type of vocal distortion along the way using care as it is brutal but I may just stay away from it since I have not had any luck with it so far either and am lucky I still have a voice as well after my tries

neighbor664

Quote from: everdrone on August 12, 2015, 12:52:01 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on August 12, 2015, 04:23:56 AM

Vocal distortin can be brutal on your throat.  Back in my early years singing trying to distort I used way too much preasure and at times could taste Blood in my mouth.  Im lucky i still have a voice.

yikes! ya I have a problem producing vocal distortion, Ill stay away from it and do Queens of the STone Age or similar styles of singing and just try to learn some type of vocal distortion along the way using care as it is brutal but I may just stay away from it since I have not had any luck with it so far either and am lucky I still have a voice as well after my tries

You might want to look at the "Zen of Screaming" courses to learn how to add `heat' to your voice without hurting yourself.

everdrone

ya I favorited that zen of scream site I may buy it, good reccomendation :)

I also wanna buy this http://www.screaminglessons.com/

but first I gotta finish my ken tamplin lessons which will take months, it has helped so I gotta give it my all

Im a newbie prolly need skype lessons cause you can really hurt yourself without a keen eye watching

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on August 12, 2015, 05:24:21 AM
liquid, i checked out your bandcamp. very cool sound your rig has. it is a big sound. mortay should cover the title track heh. i actually want to hear those swells on the full rig full volume after taking a giant 1-hit of churchOG, and try to keep standing heh...and not drop my pbr pounder either....(yeah, if i was in WI, i would be drinking pbr's at the show)

Thank ya. It's fun. Riffs and drums.
Lots of PBR to be had around here, I didn't know people were drinking it ironically when I first started going out to bars... because for the most part they weren't at that time. It's still often the least expensive beer served around here and it's better than most cheap beers even if it's not actually good. Good costs real money.

jibberish

^ yes, yes, and yes.   I even mention them in a song I changed the words to....pbr is thee concert beer.   just kill it before it gets warm....

I refuse to post among the ignorants, but the very best most pro awesome rock show I ever saw was king diamond at house of blues. So pro that the one guitar player can ninja star-throw picks hundreds of feet heh.
they played Abigail in its entirety after a ton of other tunes. all the props including several ladies to help out( I guess one was Abigail derp)
I just trance out over the 2 guitar players. they are one.  they are among the best metal guitar teams ever. sheer pleasure to watch them go.
the arch enemy brothers were like that too, really fun to watch...but now im digressing again.

you linked 2 of my favorite KD albums too, but my most favorite is the graveyard. that is the most fun crazy story and the tunes kill it. I think that was his best. listen to the whole story.
but the MF stuff is great too.  I see why he had to do 2 projects. lots of music inside that boy.  "NO PRESENTS FOR CHRISTMAS. AHHHAaaahaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa..."
I recommend to everyone who likes any heavy/rock/metal to see KD. plus now he is older and cant hit those screechers of high notes he did in the day
(for anyone fearing that aspect of KD, what he does belongs with the music. "no worries mate")

KD rules.

end of thread!

(ok, maybe not end of thread)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my pal with the trombone came over to jam the new system last sunday. it was a little rough getting the grooves going since we were only used to me playing guitar on all of our projects prior to this.  so the music and the feel was different. i did take both keyboards out and the system performed beyond expectations. it was so clean, even when when we hit occasional super loud notes or over-enthusiastic vocals.
i still have a couple routing issues to figure out on the behringer mixer, but wasnt serious.  the flexibility of 4 complete stereo effects loops was nice, even though i didnt really know what to do with all that on a first jam basis except send stuff into complete orbit with too much effects.

i was too tied up scrambling to get the whole deal rigged just so we could play that i forgot to record it.
im PO'd because we needed to save a bit:  i was doing some crazy boogie bass thing on a c minor chord and he starts singing "they call me the breeze" but it was in G MINOR.
we killed it. it is still just 3 shit chords (use Gm and Cm and leave D as major)
my buddy somehow glommed the c minor as the IV chord and off to gminor land we went.
but i LOVE g minor because it is very keyboard friendly (vs guitar B flat blues box which i dont like becasue it is too close to the auto-muscle memory a box, but im learning it anyway becasue i should)

next test is actually out in the environment amidst the trees and terrain. this test was on the deck so I wasn't running with the big dogs yet. we stayed on the porch

jibberish

Holy Portable Drum Machine Batman!!!!!!

edit:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

totally unrelated to anything. this young lady is ridiculously hot. don't even ask me to try and explain, she just is.

neighbor664

^I love Samantha Fish.

everdrone

gotta keep rockin'

mortlock

Quote from: jibberish on August 12, 2015, 05:24:21 AM

mortay, speaking of hofner basses, and unfortunately the beatles,  that acousticness and tone comes through nicely on so many beatles tunes.  i guarantee i have pulled the hofner off the wall at GC. it is so compact and super light since it isn't a slab, and it has acoustic tone which no other bass on that wall has(even the 5 string 2 grand stingray that i covet cant do it heh).  i do love the irony: sir paul AND sir mortay play the same axe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: in case anyone wonders, mortay came from "trading places". eddie murphy said it to Mortimer heh. "heyyy mortayyyy"
just for the record, the fag in the beatles plays the violin bass, i have a club bass which is shaped like a les paul. it is sweet sounding and weighs a fraction of what my fender weighs. now that ive had it for awhile, i am in love with the sound. its like a 'real' instrument. not that a solid body fender isnt, but there is a huge difference. something about how a hollow body responds, and kick on the fuzz..holy shit..rips faces off.

jibberish

I wanna hold your hand  [snicker face little kid pic goes here]

so, I have prepared weapons of mass bass cacophony. 1) Velcro on a stick.  2) a piece of foam hot-water-pipe insulation 3) file card LAWL!
"Igor, bring me a brain"

wtf is with mass bass. one would think it would be either "mace base" or  maassss baassss.   

Danny G

So my JCM800 started cutting out this weekend. Stayed powered but sound cut in/out intermittently then went silent.

Shit. Hope its just a tube issue.

Powers up, tubes glow. Just no sound. Tried diff speaker cables, jacks, plugged straight in, swapped out V1. Haven't checked fuses.

Taking it in tomorrow. :/

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

On a positive note, The Ripple Effect gave the Ocean of Stars EP a very glowing review!

http://ripplemusic.blogspot.com/2015/08/ocean-of-stars-ocean-of-stars-ep.html?m=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com