The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JemDooM

Danny I wish I knew as much as you do heh :)

We have some live tracks I was going to mix this week for a tape release but bloody Studio One only let's you open wavs in the artist version and not MP3!

Is there a free program I can download to convert MP3 to wav or will let me mix mp3 or would anyone be willing for me to send them over? My laptop is annoyingly something like 95% full so downloading another program will be a bit of a pain. It's just a case of a little tweak to boost the sound and a tiny bit of cropping, so near yet so far!
DooM!

Instant Dan

If I had the same set-up as Rager, I would probably just write Italian horror synth all day.

Ever since I got sick this past June I have been shuffling my gear around.

- Semi-Retired my 800 and sold my 4x12.

- Sold a lot of my overdrive and modulation pedals. Kept only what I really needed. I like distortion pedals a lot now and want to try that BAT/DOD collaboration.

- finally found a good pair of pickups for my SG.

-finally finished up that Mockingbird project.

- I use combo amps instead of a halfstack. Right now, I use an Ampeg GVT-15 and a '72 Fender Vibrochamp. I will sell the Vibrochamp soon so I can get this custom build this guy in Houston builds. A cross between a Supro and a tweed deluxe.

neighbor664

Quote from: JemDooM on February 24, 2015, 04:34:38 AM
Danny I wish I knew as much as you do heh :)

We have some live tracks I was going to mix this week for a tape release but bloody Studio One only let's you open wavs in the artist version and not MP3!

Is there a free program I can download to convert MP3 to wav or will let me mix mp3 or would anyone be willing for me to send them over? My laptop is annoyingly something like 95% full so downloading another program will be a bit of a pain. It's just a case of a little tweak to boost the sound and a tiny bit of cropping, so near yet so far!

Free up some space and then you can use Audacity. To use mp3 in Audacity you will also need to install the LAME MP3 Encoder.

You can normalize and your other edits, then export as a wav.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=install&i=lame-mp3

dogfood

Yo Dan,

What pups did you slap in the SG?

Inquiring minds want to know
Problem solving whiskey!

Instant Dan

I did a Dimarzio 36th anniversary at the bridge and BG Pure 90 at the neck. The guy who makes the Pure 90, Bryan Gunsher, claims it is a real P90 just shaved down to humbucker size and it looks like it as it has a brass plate. She sounds pretty good now and it can cover a lot of ground.

I originally was going to back in the original electronics so I could drop in some Gibson T-Top clones but they were damaged so I just got a bunch of nice NOS CTS pots, orange drop caps, and switchcraft jacks.

JemDooM

Thanks neighbour I'll try that :)
DooM!

khoomeizhi

hey jem-dunno what the non-mac parallel would be, but i found a tiny program called 'switch' that lets me change between file types pretty easily...

last night we did our first night in the studio working on an album...got snowed in a bit overnight. fun. diving back in tonight.

let's dispense the unpleasantries

dogfood

The dimarzio looks solid and there is lots of love for p90s.  nice.
Problem solving whiskey!

showdown

Played with Black Debbath and Lonely Kamel last night. We all did a killer show, nice people on and off stage, Black Debbath were hilarious, the sound tech asked me to crank the amp (!), beer was free and good times were had by all.

Danny G

My FB music page has 666 likes \m/,

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Cursed71

I don't really facebook.  Is there a way to keep your likes at 666 when you hit that number?

Danny G

I could delete a FB friend for every new like haha
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

Danny G

I seem to have broken the RPM challenge thread on my Tapatalk app. Shit.

Well the album won't be finished by the deadline. If I was free all day tomorrow, no problem. But I am booked all day and have a gig in Houston. And today I have a gig and needed to work on music for tomorrow's gig.

So I could have pushed it to mix the album and not care and throw together some shitty artwork to make the deadline, but I decided to let it go.

I'll finish the album by SXSW and I'll finish it right. Just don't have the time/energy today.

Dylan Thomas

Listening to "In The Afterglow Of Unity" master.  If all goes well, I will give the final okay on the track markers today.  It's a bit difficult, because every song goes right into the next with fades/crossfades/etc.  The mastering process has been long and intense.

Also talking with the dude doing the artwork, it's going to be badass....
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

mortlock

California brew haus. Rochester NY 2.27.15 w/ goron, order of the dragon, bastard lord and the highest leviathan.

Submarine

liquidsmoke

When I select that I am going to a show on a Facebook event page I also go through my entire friends list and invite people I think might be interested in it. Does anyone else routinely do this? It does take me a couple minutes but I think it's a great way to spread the word.

tombhex

Quote from: liquidsmoke on March 04, 2015, 02:02:56 PM
When I select that I am going to a show on a Facebook event page I also go through my entire friends list and invite people I think might be interested in it. Does anyone else routinely do this? I does take me a couple minutes but I think it's a great way to spread the word.

I do this. I played on a friend's band's final EP recently and they're doing a farewell show/release party for it and that's how I invited people. 2 accepted, but at least I invited everyone who could possibly be interested.

Lumpy

I was doing it for a while, but I stopped - nobody seemed to care. Or more accurately, everybody is hella busy these days, and there is a ton of events to choose from (including just wanting to relax at home).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on March 04, 2015, 06:15:04 PM
I was doing it for a while, but I stopped - nobody seemed to care. Or more accurately, everybody is hella busy these days, and there is a ton of events to choose from (including just wanting to relax at home).

People seem just as busy(and lazy) where I live but in small cities there aren't that many shows to choose from. Anyone I invite is either an actual friend or acquaintance. Some people rarely go to shows but once in awhile they surprise me.

everdrone

Im trying to start a doom band up.  rented the practice studio myself, solo.  bought the drumset myself.

drummer has committed to 6 jam sessions, but has cancelled last minute on 5 of them!  

To me its one thing to just not commit or to say "maybe", but its COMPLETELY another thing to have a schedule that jacked up and then try to move forward with other committed musicians.  

I dunno, the bassist, guitarist, and myself (guitarist) are giving him another "clean slate" which is on me and the way I have been handling this...I just wish it was not happening but it is.  I coulda woulda shoulda handled it better.  well, here's to tommorrowz.

Danny G

RacerX

No shit.

He doesn't even own the set? BUH-bye!!
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

"Dude, you keep canceling. Are you in or out?"

everdrone

lol thanks !!  :)  

this drummer has two drumsets. one at his house, one at his friend's house he has a project with.  I have bought drums for my music studio I am renting so that a drummer does not have to drag gear around.

we are just gonna practice with or without a drummer next week, then go from there.  once we have our songs more solid then we need to use that line: "dude you keep canceling last minute; are you in or are you out"

My stance is weak on this matter cause its hard to find musicians that will commit

the thing is, the drummer wanted us NOT to use any prior soundcloud songs or any previously made songs.  so we are all at the studio like blues musicians improvizing and hashing out how many measures for each riff and do we like this or that time tempo and key etc.  and after its all said and done do we now remember the agreed upon rhythymn and progression and time tempo and all the tweaks from the 4 chefs making the pot of soup.  if its recorded and then learned then its stuck in my head better.  I may just record all the songs in my home studio and send em out and then see if that helps.

we woulda been alot further along if we just learned each others finished songs, and it would be just as fun for me anyway.  I mean, I auditioned for cover bands last year and learned 10 songs for each audition.