The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Foxen

Got earplugs for rest of band, due to drummer's passing out from volume issues. Drummer still has trouble, and guitarist can't  leave his eq alone after putting plugs in.

Danny G

No. Don't touch the EQ once the plugs are in... :/
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 26, 2015, 06:48:04 PM
Got earplugs for rest of band, due to drummer's passing out from volume issues.

???

RacerX

Some folks don't do well at high sound pressure levels.
Livin' The Life.

Danny G

Did he at least inadvertently kick over his whole drumset "Up In Smoke" style when he did?

That woulda been kind cool, heh
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

jibberish

so I pushed the tempo to 100bpm on this 2 count Dixieland beat (=200bpm) to play rockin round the xmas tree ragtime style.
I arranged the chords to totally kill my left hand.  I am at the edge of comprehension at this speed. shit has to move so fast. crazy shit.

playing guitar has made my left hand way more skilled than before.  I would tell any piano student to play the guitar on the side. piano pieces generally favor the right hand, especially in the beginning. later they kill both hands heh. but fretting really gets all the fingers much more coordinated.

so this time around, playing keys is extra fun. especially with the honky tonk piano and some warbly reverb effects. this one's for you joann.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: agent of change on January 18, 2015, 12:08:15 PM

I may need to start wearing red clothes instead of white for our shows. The floor tom head is quite spattered as well. Forgot to tape a knuckle I had already nicked on the ride cymbal. During the show I couldn't change my grip on the drumstick or it would have slipped out of my hand.

FUCKING WARRIOR. \M/ \M/
why does it hurt when i pee?

Lumpy

I traded pedals with a guy on another forum - but his pedal never arrived. What about the tracking number? "I can't find it, it's around here somewhere". And "I've been really depressed lately". ???

Both our pedals are worth $45 each, so it's not the end of the world, but Jesus H...
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

what's so hard about naming and shaming? cut the drama crap. 8D

mortlock

especially if the offender is from a diff forum..i say name and shame and pillage.. 

Beta Cloud

wait... there's aNOTHER forum?

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Danny G on January 27, 2015, 10:58:24 AM
Did he at least inadvertently kick over his whole drumset "Up In Smoke" style when he did?

That woulda been kind cool, heh

He just sort of slowly tipped sideways and came round before he came off the stool. It was during a gig so it mostly just put us out of time, but we recovered.

Lumpy

There's some talk about one-microphone drum recording techniques in the new Tape Op letters section.

"Large-diaphragm cardioid condenser mic" mounted above the kick drum, aimed at the snare. Mic placed behind the drummer's head (hears what the drummer hears). Etc etc.

RAGER

Remember Chovie was a big proponent of that technique moreso prolly cuz he just didn't wanna be arsed with dragging out a bunch of mics and shit.  I miss Chovie.
No Focus Pocus

giantchris

Quote from: Lumpy on January 30, 2015, 03:38:43 PM
There's some talk about one-microphone drum recording techniques in the new Tape Op letters section.

"Large-diaphragm cardioid condenser mic" mounted above the kick drum, aimed at the snare. Mic placed behind the drummer's head (hears what the drummer hears). Etc etc.

That's weird hadn't heard that before.  One of the bands I'm in is going to record soon I'll try it for the hell of it.  Previously we did a three mic setup with a kick and an sm57 pointed roughly towards the snare and a condenser placed like 7 feet out from the front of the kit and maybe 5 feet off the ground pointed towards it and it sounded pretty good. 

jibberish

speaking of chovie, I went through the post new music thread. I got very sad. chovie posted shit in there.
it's not fair. XXXXXX is gone and pure garbage like shocker still walks

hey rager, I started laughing after I read your post in the drug addict thread.    um, go lurk that thread now. I souped it up, I pressed lots of the old buttons

hey jakeO, shhhh ok. you know I was pushing buttons

VOLVO)))

Heh, Shocker isn't garbage, you idiot. He's got issues, but he is a good dad. Albeit,  a shitty husband. Whatever. People fuck up, and are fucked up
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I'm a selfish prick too but I don't have a wife and kids.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Pedal-swap pedal finally arrived today, it took 10 days to travel from CA to NY. ???

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Lumpy on January 31, 2015, 06:14:51 PM
Pedal-swap pedal finally arrived today, it took 10 days to travel from CA to NY. ???
wadja' get?

Lumpy

Some sorta vibe/tremolo clone that General Guitar Gadgets makes a kit for. I traded a Shin Ei (60s type) fuzz for it. I've got plenty of fuzz, and not enough modulation.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: jibberish on January 30, 2015, 11:28:40 PM
speaking of chovie, I went through the post new music thread. I got very sad. chovie posted shit in there.
it's not fair. chovie is gone and pure garbage like shocker still walks

hey rager, I started laughing after I read your post in the drug addict thread.    um, go lurk that thread now. I souped it up, I pressed lots of the old buttons

hey jakeO, shhhh ok. you know I was pushing buttons

Also, if you ever post another fucking thing negatively, and include Chovie, I will personally see to it that you never post on ANY of these fucking boards, again, methboy.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Tracked drums for a song yesterday and we cut a hole in the bass drum, stuffed a bed sheet in there, and positioned my SM57 just outside of the center of the hole. Not exactly 'pro' sounding but it captures a good mix of attack and thump. Best kick tone we've gotten so far. Used a cheap condenser overhead for everything else. Talking about maybe upgrading to a full set of drum mics and the equipment to give each one it's own track for EQing and panning what not.

Danny G

If that's an EA tremolo circuit, it's a real nice pedal.

nyarlathotep

Hey folks... new to this forum, but I guess I was around a bit on the old board roughly 5,000 years ago.

I'm going into the studio this weekend to record two tracks and I'm starting to get anxious over my head choice. Anyone ever recorded drums with hydraulic heads on them? How did that go?