The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: jibberish on September 17, 2014, 02:59:16 AM
heh

lumpy, just pulling your pigtails 8D

I wanted to mention to dinger about bp being a decent Sabbath worship and let it be for what it was.  the fans have no awareness of any of the negative behind the scenes.
you shouldn't broadcast the sense that we should hate that album because of surrounding situations. that makes for a really weird feeling heh. you rock, so you cant erase all the rocking out you have layed upon us all over time. 

no one is telling you to go back that I sense. moving forward towards bigger and better is always a good thing, but you should value the value in your stepping stone projects and forget the horseshit circumstances attached. I still like my bp album btw.

I don't think that people should hate the albums man.  I try to let them be for what they are, though it's difficult for me because I wrote all the lyrics and 90% of the songs.  Despite peoples' favorable reactions to those songs, I know that I for one am never going to hear a proper recording of these songs the way they were intended to sound and be played.  It reminds me of how some of my childhood friends died young, and I would think about how they never would reach their full potential.  Obviously there's a big disconnect between the ideal/intent and the actual.  My friends are dead; there was no more potential once they ceased to live, despite the fantasies my mind cooks up about their imaginary futures.  The songs are recorded and released; there will never be better versions despite what I still hear reverberating in my head when I wrote them.

The negative behind the scenes shit?  Well, the fans are prithee to much of it, and I think that's a good thing.  Too much mythology and hero worship in music.  I most regret all the dishonesty and deceit surrounding the band, so telling the truth about it is very liberating for me.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on September 17, 2014, 09:15:41 AM

The negative behind the scenes shit?  Well, the fans are prithee to much of it...

They're what to it? Prithee prithee pain cave.  ;)

(This might be a repeat blawggie blogpost)  I quit playing in bands temporarily in February, and it sucks/is amusing that I seemingly lost all my local musician  "scene friends" (lol) overnight. I just needed a break after being in two bands minimum (four bands at one point) since mid-2006. I do miss it terribly now, of course, and hope to be back at the eardrum-liver destruction by years' end....

....if I can get anyone to answer my calls  :P
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: Metal and Beer on September 17, 2014, 11:46:36 AM
Quote from: Dylan Thomas on September 17, 2014, 09:15:41 AM

The negative behind the scenes shit?  Well, the fans are prithee to much of it...

They're what to it? Prithee prithee pain cave.  ;)

(This might be a repeat blawggie blogpost)  I quit playing in bands temporarily in February, and it sucks/is amusing that I seemingly lost all my local musician  "scene friends" (lol) overnight. I just needed a break after being in two bands minimum (four bands at one point) since mid-2006. I do miss it terribly now, of course, and hope to be back at the eardrum-liver destruction by years' end....

....if I can get anyone to answer my calls  :P

I like to misuse the word "prithee" because it seems really off-putting to people.

But this is the jam room blog thread, so that is neither near nor their.

jibberish

to parrotphrase  "neither near nor their"

heh

(stole that from true blood. they had that goober brother slaughtering all kinds of sayings a'la archie bunker)

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on September 17, 2014, 01:23:08 PM

I like to misuse the word "prithee" because it seems really off-putting to people.

That peaks my interests !

"Why do you always sell your gear?" I've been axed many times, and the answer seems obvious: Getting new (to me) stuff is awesome !
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

mutantcolors

Omlet

And once again my plan turned to shit...

Moments ago I was informed that fucking prick (the client) will be unable to pay me this week. And - as the money comes thru international transfer - probably I will not receive it before next Tuesday (and still it's optimistic version).

Bass auction ends on Sunday so, fuck me. I must forget about it.

liquidsmoke

Gibson's baritone. No inlays and only available in white. Designed not to sell.

Danny G

Had a huge DUH moment few nights ago at a rehearsal.

Was using the JCM800 as a bass amp. I set it off to the side so as not rumbling on top of the cab and looks cooler anyway.

Realized that (a) I've been setting it so the top vents are blocked by the cab (did it that way as the cord input was on top to keep me from stepping on it) and (b) I have it against the cab so it's still getting rumbled.

So I turned it around and put a gap between it and the cab. This also allows easier access to speaker jack and power plug.

Well shit. Maybe these tubes will last longer now haha
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

Especially if you cut a vent in the side of the head box. :P  V4 might run a little hotter than the rest.
No Focus Pocus

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: RAGER on September 18, 2014, 08:47:13 PM
Especially if you cut a vent in the side of the head box. :P  V4 might run a little hotter than the rest.

Yup.  V-4's run hot.  I've got two of them, I know all too well...

If you have trouble with things running way too hot, it's pretty easy to install a computer fan.  One of my V-4's has one, though I don't use it as much since I had our tech yank the reverb.  Those extra tubes for the reverb really crank a lot of heat...

jibberish

taking a break from practicing...sit down have a puff, check in on srl com...think of crazy shit

I wonder if anyone has played with a wireless mic in a little box that spins around for a ghetto leslie sound. something you could set in front of speakers like a regular mic

ordered a beatstep controller. we will soon see if I can get all my old synths to get their bleep bloop on.

back to practice......

Omlet

Top-quality mic I used yesterday to record some background noise (thru laptop speakers, from the internet):

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on September 18, 2014, 08:59:19 PM
Those extra tubes for the reverb really crank a lot of heat...

I've never thought of that. Both of my heads have spring reverbs. I'll see if my Carvin stays cooler with the reverb off.

In only somewhat related news, 27" baritone with somewhat floppy strings in F# + FZ-2 clone + guitar rig + bass rig = super fun, destroys, 2 piece instrumental needs to happen. The riff and nothing but the riff.

jibberish

I was thinking more about your massive sound quest.  a while back I split the pups on my LP studio and completely eliminated the selector switch(about 1/2 the wiring in there) and 2 things happened.
1) I use the neck pup for recording when I want the nice rich sound. it is very clean and quiet and rich.
2) I can feed each pup to something different like on that ehg organ box. so dicking around, I have already fed one pup into the sub bass effect on the shit mixer. nasty but cool.
what fucks the sub synth up is chords and complex shit.

I thought of 2 things to deal with that.

1) do like local H does and install a bass pup for 2 strings of sub synth, but I am not going to do that to my LP
2) so then I was pondering how to put metal over the upper strings portion of the pup to kill all but the low 2 strings.

ok...more practice...

liquidsmoke

Interesting stuff there. A local guy here does a one man surfy rock thing, plays drums with his feet while playing guitar and singing and has a bass pup modded into his guitar. Sounds pretty good.

The ultimate thing right now would be an octave down pedal that could give me single root notes even if I'm playing chords as F#/B string power chords tracked could be a complete mess that low. Some of the mono pedals might actually do that but I'm not sure. F# is so close to bass range though that I really wouldn't need any lower notes than that. Could use a pedal only for single string parts. Sometimes it's good to be limited. Guitar Center has that 30 day return period on used gear, I might get lucky and find something there to experiment with.

Mr. Foxen

Mate modded a strat for a country singer by punching out the poles of the top 4 strings on the neck pickup to feed the bass side of her setup from just the bottom two.

I run separate outputs from my pickups, to different rigs. Lots of tricks can be done with it.

VOLVO)))

I used an ABY split to two rigs with two pedal chains. EHX POG is your girl, LS
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on September 19, 2014, 09:25:23 AM
Mate modded a strat for a country singer by punching out the poles of the top 4 strings on the neck pickup to feed the bass side of her setup from just the bottom two.

I run separate outputs from my pickups, to different rigs. Lots of tricks can be done with it.
nice.

do you know of any non-destructive way to shut off poles of a pickup or keep the string vibes out?

we need a metal string with a 2 inch nylon insert so it is ignored by one pickup haha., or a non-ferrous metal section. boy that sounds expensive.....

VOLVO)))

Buy some cheapies and do the damage.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Omlet

I've recorded two drone/doom tracks, this time with more industrial/dark ambient/noise shit. Maybe I'll post them here once I polish them up (unless I realize that they are total garbage and just throw them away).

RAGER

I pulled the trigger. I'm having a custom Grendel Drone Commander built for me. 

No Focus Pocus

jibberish

are you getting that one with the awesome skull feet?   that's the one I would want.

B&H video has microbrutes for $259 with some extras thrown in. the time has come....

is there some way to bury a clock synch into a soundcloud thread hahaha, so we could do pile-on sequencer projects and everyone's track would lock on in time

my nephew and his space van project is getting into the lighting.  I got him going on a lightshow that changes colors based upon engine rpm. so now he has arduino, tri color led's
and me: engineer and programmer extraordinaire on tap to get through the bullshit and explain things to him. he is no dummy. he is a hotshot IT guy and hacks as a hobby, so yeah. he and I can cook up heinous shit.   anyway, I told him that the square wave from the tach output could be scaled and its impedance massaged and I taught him how to design voltage clamp circuits to protect inputs so that we can feed computers and A SYNTH FILTER. the synth output then can get split and part gets digitized and back into the computer for organic synth based light show. the audio can also go to the stereo or stealth mega PA  (I have a 1200watt RMS multichannel tri-amped car stereo that is going into that fucking van and he is putting a couple of god's own inverters in the van for ac shmoltz)

also looking into this lumiLor paint shit. check it out. google LumiLor and be prepared to say "wow"

fallen

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 19, 2014, 04:55:02 AM
Interesting stuff there. A local guy here does a one man surfy rock thing, plays drums with his feet while playing guitar and singing and has a bass pup modded into his guitar. Sounds pretty good.

The ultimate thing right now would be an octave down pedal that could give me single root notes even if I'm playing chords as F#/B string power chords tracked could be a complete mess that low. Some of the mono pedals might actually do that but I'm not sure. F# is so close to bass range though that I really wouldn't need any lower notes than that. Could use a pedal only for single string parts. Sometimes it's good to be limited. Guitar Center has that 30 day return period on used gear, I might get lucky and find something there to experiment with.

Boss OC-3 has an octave down only output and a knob that sets the frequency that the effect comes in below. I haven't tried it myself but easy to buy-try-return Boss stuff from the big box stores.