The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 15, 2014, 02:19:11 AM
Octave down only, no normal signal.
My bass player has one, it's an older Boss, will check on model number when I'm home.

Dylan Thomas

Listening now to a rough mix of all the instruments from the new Palace In Thunderland album.  Extremely pleased with the results, I feel like this was the album I was born to make.  We really took our time and did this the right way.  We got all the right gear and focused on really writing cohesive parts.  The performances and tones are just stellar.  I've never had the opportunity to make an album like this before, it really restores a lot of my faith in music after the half-ass way we made the Black Pyramid albums...
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

The Shocker

I know you have bad feelings with the  BP stuff, but a lot of us love those albums.  Hopefully your new stuff will sound as good or better. To add some Jam room blog to that, a lot of great music has been made under less than optimal circumstances and some shit has been made under optimal conditions. 

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on September 15, 2014, 06:46:04 AM
Isn't that what a chorus does? Some have a clean out/effected out.

I'm not sure. I thought they did more of a flange meets reverb type thing but I've never owned or messed with one.

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 15, 2014, 02:19:11 AM
Boss OC-2 or 3? Electro Harmonix POG? HOG?

Will look into these. I've heard the POG sounds weird and synthy.

Quote from: Jake on September 15, 2014, 08:03:52 AM
As far as octave pedals go, look at the Danelectro Chili Dog. I've got one for dickaround purposes. Cheap and does not sound terrible.

Cool. Will read reviews and watch videos.

Quote from: mutantcolors on September 15, 2014, 03:00:41 PM
My bass player has one, it's an older Boss, will check on model number when I'm home.

Thank you.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on September 15, 2014, 03:27:10 AM
a hi quality effect set to 100% wet completely cancels the original dry signal.
it seems a delay and sub harmonic synth module/pedal could do that.

maybe a vocal processor has the quality enough to do a really clean octave down if normal pedals or boss/line 6 rigs cant do it

maybe you can utilize the pass-thru latency of something as a ghetto 100% wet mini delay

Hmmm..

mortlock

is there any comprehensive resource out there that would list all tour dates of bands..im trying to find skinless' tour in 2002 w/ six feet under..

VOLVO)))

No Detroit dates.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: The Shocker on September 15, 2014, 08:48:56 PM
I know you have bad feelings with the  BP stuff, but a lot of us love those albums.  Hopefully your new stuff will sound as good or better. To add some Jam room blog to that, a lot of great music has been made under less than optimal circumstances and some shit has been made under optimal conditions. 

I know a lot of people love the albums, and I can tend to be pretty down on them.  The fact of the matter was that they weren't that much fun to make, they were rushed, and I really feel like we half-assed some things rather than taking the time to really do them right.  I didn't always agree with the people working on those albums, I didn't always agree with the people playing on the albums, and much of the time this was never openly discussed because of personality clashes, let alone negotiated or rectified.  I realize that there are a lot of great things about those albums, and that they don't sound bad per say.  The sour taste is partly over the negative experiences, and partly that I know that those songs could have come out a lot better had we taken our time and done some things differently.

This Palace album, well, it's taken a long time to write and record.  We've worked through illness, injury, and personal differences - all it took was some time, patience, communication and understanding to get through the obstacles. 

I don't know if people will like this album as much, it's a lot more all over the place stylistically. The idea was to take a look at the bands that were really big influences in the 90's, when we were all just really getting into music and it was the most important thing in our lives. So you're going to hear the Sabbath, Kyuss, Fu Manchu and Monster Magnet influence, along with Pink Floyd, , Hawkwind, Led Zeppelin and other classic rock, but you'll also hear a lot of Hum and Smashing Pumpkins.  We were into Helmet, Soundgarden, Quicksand, Fugazi, Dinosaur Jr. - you're going to hear smatterings of that thrown in. It's not a "doom" or even "stoner" album in the classic sense. Although it's got some pretty heavy riffs and big, cool tones, it's much more focused on having a unique atmosphere.  We really tried to use the studio as an instrument in and of itself, while also not getting so elaborate that we can't recreate it live.

If people dig it, hey, that's awesome. I'm not going to say that it's better than anything I did with Black Pyramid.  I'm just saying that the experience has been far more rewarding for me personally, and I've felt a lot more freedom for genuine expression.  This is the kind of album I've always wanted to make.  I can't speak for the rest of the band, though I'd say that the general vibe is that everyone involved is really feeling it.

The EH POG definitely sounds weird and synth-y.  We used a POG for a couple songs on this album, and it sounds remarkably like an organ.  It does track really well, even with chords.  We used a couple other odd octave pedals as well, if you want details check with dk419, he's got some cool ones.

liquidsmoke

I'm looking forward to hearing the Palace album and thanks for the POG tip. Reading that it tracks chords well and sounds good with a lot of fuzz/distortion but the idea that a unit that only picked up the lowest/root note would probably be a better idea popped into my head tonight. Will keep researching.

The Shocker

Thanks Andy.  I love 10 of the 14 bands you mentioned, so I am really interested to hear the new album.

everdrone

that Black pyramid II album is killer!  looking forward to the upcoming Palace in Thunderland album.

VOLVO)))

Ill probably listen to Palace in Thunderdome
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Two men entahhh, one man leave!
poop.

Omlet

Fuck.

I know that my music was posted on several blogs, one Polish file repository site and even shared via torrent. And I have nothing against it, in fact it shows me that some people likes my shit. However, today I got really, really pissed off.

I stumbled upon the blog with download link for my newest EP and realized that - in addition to music, that site was full of many kinds of extremist, right-wing and nationalism-related bullshit.

Fuck.

I mailed that prick with file / link removal request, I hope that he will do it. I fucking hate these "white pride" shitbags and I fucking hate politics of (almost) any kind.

For obvious reasons - I will not post here a link to that shitty blog.

I posted similar disclaimer on my project's FB page and I hope that people will repost it.

Fuck.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: Omlet on September 16, 2014, 05:43:21 PM
Fuck.

I know that my music was posted on several blogs, one Polish file repository site and even shared via torrent. And I have nothing against it, in fact it shows me that some people likes my shit. However, today I got really, really pissed off.

I stumbled upon the blog with download link for my newest EP and realized that - in addition to music, that site was full of many kinds of extremist, right-wing and nationalism-related bullshit.

Fuck.

I mailed that prick with file / link removal request, I hope that he will do it. I fucking hate these "white pride" shitbags and I fucking hate politics of (almost) any kind.

For obvious reasons - I will not post here a link to that shitty blog.

I posted similar disclaimer on my project's FB page and I hope that people will repost it.

Fuck.

Yeah, I hear you.  That really is not cool at all, and I hope you get it taken down.  Fucking people these days...

Mr. Foxen

Goddamn, firing people from your band is like breaking up with someone without the prospect of awesome breakup sex.

eyeprod

I feel fortunate that my last band break up went well.
CV - Slender Fungus

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

you need to borrow $25 or what?

mortlock

yo omlet, some dude in Poland just bought one of my bands tapes. I wonder if you know him. haha. I know Poland is a big place but you never know..

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Omlet

Quote from: mortlock on September 16, 2014, 11:14:47 PM
yo omlet, some dude in Poland just bought one of my bands tapes. I wonder if you know him. haha. I know Poland is a big place but you never know..

PM me his name there's 1:39000000 chance that i know him lol

jibberish

heh

lumpy, just pulling your pigtails 8D

I wanted to mention to dinger about bp being a decent Sabbath worship and let it be for what it was.  the fans have no awareness of any of the negative behind the scenes.
you shouldn't broadcast the sense that we should hate that album because of surrounding situations. that makes for a really weird feeling heh. you rock, so you cant erase all the rocking out you have layed upon us all over time. 

no one is telling you to go back that I sense. moving forward towards bigger and better is always a good thing, but you should value the value in your stepping stone projects and forget the horseshit circumstances attached. I still like my bp album btw.

Omlet

Okay, he removed links to my music. Now I feel better.