RAGER

No Focus Pocus

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

Pissy

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 20, 2014, 10:21:28 AM
Quote from: Danny G on July 19, 2014, 10:43:21 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on July 18, 2014, 07:47:40 PM
Why the fuck do you people use svts and 810s?

Because hearing it with your ears isn't the same as feeling it in your bones.

That, and I've never gotten a likeable sound using an SVT-CL tho they sound great when others use them. Weird.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk

The CL felt very dead to me. Heavy, but not hot enough...

Don't you have a JCM800?  Use that with 810 and see whats up.  You won't save any Volvo space, but it might do what your after.

Also, you might be able to trade that 810 for a 610.  I use a 610 and it can stand up in a Honda Element -- NICE!  Going rate on the 610 is the same as the 810 though, so keep that in mind.
Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

I've actually got a bunch of guitar heads to use for bass, I just think the 8x10 is kind of a hyped piece of shit, for what you get out of it. I definitely feel the 6x10 would be nice. I personally dig my dual showman 2x15...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

And somehow that hype has lasted 45 years. Weird.
No Focus Pocus

everdrone

I love my 810 neo stack, I think it sounds great. since it is so tall, it disperses better around the bar :) 

Lumpy

If something is disappointing, it's a "piece of shit".
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on July 21, 2014, 01:30:17 PM
And somehow that hype has lasted 45 years. Weird.

Oh shut up, you know I wouldn't say that unless I felt that it was true. It sounds like meh in a box, and weighs more than I care to move for that sound. If it truly sounded like something I enjoyed, I'd have no problem.

But... it sounds booty.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

If tone's in the fingers, you should get new fingers. 'Cause ain nuttin wrong wif no 8x10s.
poop.

VOLVO)))

Just doesn't sound right to me.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

What are those pedals? Pharaoh, Hall of Fame, ...?
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

Prolly not much sounded great on that check tile floor.

Anyways, I broke a drumstick this morning. /blog
No Focus Pocus

everdrone

its prolly tough to get tube saturation in most venues with that beast ;)

VOLVO)))

Pitchback plus, soul preacher used as a signal booster, pharaoh, Caitlinbread SCOD for grindy metal stuff, hall of fame, unplugged sansamp.

That's a record store we practice in. Retrofit records, Tallahassee, Fl.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pissy

Wow. It must really suck to have the rig most bass players on the planet strive to get, and ultimately be dissapointed. That's intended to be sincere.
I can't for the life of me think of a reason you wouldn't be able to get the sound you're after.  Unless you're looking for something tinny and shrill, or something along the lines of Anacrusis (killer early 90's metal band from St Louis).

I know this dissapointment a little, having tried to play a Rickenbacker. No me gusta el sound-o. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Maybe mine sounds so good cuz it's one of the very first that were only rated at about 200 watts. So when I use a nearly 200 watt amp cranked its right at the edge.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

In all sincerity, I am jaded. Disenchanted, whatever. It doesn't sound terrible. I just don't like the response. The low end is good, so is the top, but lacks what I like, which is why I primarily use guitar amps for bass. It's too much amp, i like my stuff on the edge of destruction, and I can barely get the SVT into natural dirt territory even in huge rooms. If the cab were one of the solid ply ones instead of chipboard, I think I would mesh with it better because it would be 25lbs lighter, and possibly more resonant.

It felt lifeless, no feedback, no weird artifacts, nothing. No charm. It's an SVT.

I miss my 370.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

It's probably the shitty cabinet.

Why the fuck would you buy one of the pressboard ones? You should know better.
Livin' The Life.

Pissy

I have a word to describe my tone (which i really like) as it is right now. That word is chewy.

What is your word to describe the sound you're after?
Vinyls.   deal.

everdrone

tone is in the eyes of the beholder.

cause the audience sure as heck dont care what cab and head you play bass through!  for the most part anyways for typical audiences and not a group of musicians for an audience.

also, bassist in local band LSD (lone star demons) had an SVT and he likes his orange tiny terror 1000 better cause it sounds the same at any volume and it is tube. 

the audience only notices if the musician is unhappy with his tone (or butchers his own tone)

mortlock

Quote from: Pissy on July 21, 2014, 08:48:51 PM
I have a word to describe my tone (which i really like) as it is right now. That word is chewy.

What is your word to describe the sound you're after?
clangy

VOLVO)))

Came with the head, RX.

In comparison to the tone I usually strive for, the SVT is "boxy."

My 370, which is the best I've ever played, is very crisp, but warm, and overdrives with harder attack.

The 800 is still my favorite bass tone. Two of those plus a decent 810 would probably do me right.

JudginG by that, you could probably discern why I don't like the SVT.

I mainly think I was just underwhelmed. I felt the same about that Electric Amp MV120 I've been sitting on. Totally underwhelmed. No magic, just a kind of okay sounding amp.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

giantchris

Honestly I'd try the Tech 21 VT Bass and DI it if you really want an SVT type tone that's pushed to exploding distortion levels.  The benefits of not having to carry all that crap, reliability, and tone consistency outweigh the fact that it's not a real SVT.  In additional when you have a fridge most venues here won't let you turn it up I have a Kustom 3x15 and was running a Sunn beta bass into it and nobody would let me turn up past 2 so I just bought a nice 1x15 to be able to run some juice into it.  That and there seems to be a group of sound men that don't bother to mic anything and just want to DI you and have that be your only tone no matter what.  But now after I bought the Leeds pedal for recording bass it sounds so good I am going to use that live when my band starts playing again.

everdrone

Quote from: giantchris on July 21, 2014, 11:37:07 PM
Honestly I'd try the Tech 21 VT Bass and DI it if you really want an SVT type tone that's pushed to exploding distortion levels.  The benefits of not having to carry all that crap, reliability, and tone consistency outweigh the fact that it's not a real SVT.  In additional when you have a fridge most venues here won't let you turn it up I have a Kustom 3x15 and was running a Sunn beta bass into it and nobody would let me turn up past 2 so I just bought a nice 1x15 to be able to run some juice into it.  That and there seems to be a group of sound men that don't bother to mic anything and just want to DI you and have that be your only tone no matter what.  But now after I bought the Leeds pedal for recording bass it sounds so good I am going to use that live when my band starts playing again.
ya I use that vt bass pedal all the time for my recordings, used it for my newest song yesterday.  its not tube but it does cut mustard :)