The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

The only time I write shit out for real is if there are harmonized guitars. I typically don't even play riffs the same, sometimes Ill play triplets, or drop out notes for some feedback pauses.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 02, 2014, 10:40:34 AM
The only time I write shit out for real is if there are harmonized guitars. I typically don't even play riffs the same, sometimes Ill play triplets, or drop out notes for some feedback pauses.

That's pretty wild. I generally attempt to be a Nazi when playing although I have an easier version of one lead for when I'm not in a confident mood.

VOLVO)))

I just like to keep it interesting. I've got a bag of tricks, bends and trills, sweeps, whatever that I know work properly in all the songs.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Depends. If it's a "guitar solo," I usually improvise within roughly-drawn parameters.

There are plenty of other melodic bits that I strive to play the same every time because they are part of the song itself.
Livin' The Life.

Danny G

I'm about 60/40 for improv/written out

Some things I purposely keep loose. Others I have a framework at least but leave room for spontaneity.

There are a few solos where I try to play the same thing, as there is a specific musical statement I'm trying to convey

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Instant Dan

I think I am just going to save up more money to get that LP standard in a plain top finish I have always wanted. I like the MiJ LP's but I have yet to really find one that does not lean towards a slim-taper neck.

jibberish

^everything else is a waste of $ if it will keep niggling at you that it isn't where you want to be.

solos: I don't have my shit together enough to wing it and just stick with the phrasing.
I write/work my solos out note for note and TRY to play it the same way every time.
so a song is a complete repeatable construction.  intros/outros and bridges are the real devil, not solos, as solos are generally variations on the theme holding the verse/chorus/bridge/etc, phrasing that you already have figured out.

...so many toys, so little play time
..so many more toys out there, so little spare play money for them.
ok, so nevermind for right now.
glad I had that little talk with myself.  i'm in carworld now. when it rains it pours. I now have 3 cars to juggle, one of which is 45miles away and has a mean fuel leak(=royal "dontwanner" = royal good price = royal good profit when I flip it up here. you get the idea. my pal taught me the trick: look for a good runner that looks like shit or has some really inconvenient but trivial stuff wrong with it = gold.  check engine light is one of the best bargaining chips and a fucking chimp can get codes out of a car with a piece of wire heh = mo money)

edit: oh ya, nice score on that mixer rager. that's the right price for that.  must be intricate sounding when you have that thing filled up with a bunch of module outputs all at once.   hey, magic shrooms grow around by you.....hahaha.

JemDooM

All my solos come out naturally in the first take, most of the time I hear them in the music before I put them down, then I learn them and play the same every time live!
DooM!

jibberish

not sure where to put this.
I stumbled across this while checking out synth demos.

the thing I thought was neat was that it was like a long distance collaboration( same studio but done in chunks and layered together so it could have been long distance)
the vintage gear shown is out of this world for the synth geeks, but this collaboration is what I really like
also, I have the original tubular bells album so this song is familiar.

I wish we could get something like this together with some video wiz as the final producer and everyone else just make sure they are in tune heh.

everdrone

I am recording songs/clips every week from now on :)  just recorded some this week.  I sporadically jam with folks as well, but am looking to commit to a cover band or heavy rock/metal band in North Austin Texas, so today I posted my ads on craigslist,...

everdrone

just got a response and said "yes":

Hey there, just saw your ad, and looked very similar to what we needed, check us out and let me know if you wanna try something out.

http://austin.craigslist.org/muc/4559431994.html

eyeprod

have been building some pedals lately. just clones of existing pedals, but it's going well, so I tried a more complex circuit, a mutron phaser 2. I took some time to make this one look pretty inside. It looks like it works right now, but something is not kicking in. Just a clean signal passing through, and a cool little pink led flashing in accordance with the rate knob. I'm still troubleshooting.

CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

When this happens to me I re check everything and re flow suspicious stuff.  I know you already know this/ ;D sorry
No Focus Pocus

justJon

A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Lumpy

Show photographers must die. I was at a show and one of the photographers was right up next to the band, taking crazy low angle shots and stuff. But other people were shooting videos, and now this fucking dillrod will show up in everybody's video. And he doesn't work for a magazine, or a website or a blog. He's just taking snaps of his buddy's band. If you're a real photographer you're not taking pics with your iPhone (I am guilty of that, but I try to avoid ruining the show for other people). Pro photographers in small clubs are equally as bad, hogging the front of the stage, blinding everybody with 'bounced' flash, etc. At big shows, photographers are limited to shooting the first 3 songs for a reason... it's well established that they are fucking annoying. But at a small show, there is nobody there to enforce any rules, and photographers will shoot the entire set, and it's like the people who paid to watch the show don't even matter, the photographer thinks that his photos are more important than the actual event.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Danny G

If more photographers got used to using the ambient light the show experience and the photos would both be much improved.

And camera flashes are kind of a double-edged sword for those onstage.  They can be distracting as hell, but can also be an affirmation that the band is at least doing something right so people are taking pics.

But obnoxious photographers can be really annoying.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

everdrone

even videographers bug me cause they are sticking their phones right in my line of view!

Mr. Foxen

Finally got recording date booked, now need to sort a decent sounding drum kit and cymbals for drummer.

agent of change

There is a guy in our town who comes to tons of shows, pays, takes pictures, and posts them on his Facebook site. He even bought our cd at our release party. Nice fella and he tends to hug one end or the other of the stage, or hang back in the crowd when he takes his pictures. I've honestly not noticed him taking pictures of us while we play.

https://www.facebook.com/thrashe.ville.7
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

Lumpy

Not every photographer is annoying, it's more common to see amateurs doing annoying stuff (one pro guy with Brooklyn Vegan is especially bad, but I guess he's making money so maybe that's why he's kind of a ruthless dick about getting his shots. Have not been to any of 'his' shows lately though). I realize I am probably that annoying dick with the iPhone camera, to some people :(
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Pissy

Played last night with Royal Blood, a bass and drums duo out of Brighton UK.  Dude splits his bass signal to an octave higher on one side, and normal on the other. Then goes to an array of guitar amps with the higher note signal.

We were 3 weeks cold and nailed it. In contrast, recent shows we've prepared for heavily, haven't gone nearly as well. Strange.
Vinyls.   deal.

RacerX

Interesting story about a fan who was watching Youtube and discovered the likely origin of Cobain's Fender Jaguar...

http://www.nme.com/news/nirvana/78528
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

Quote from: Pissy on July 16, 2014, 09:14:04 AM
Played last night with Royal Blood, a bass and drums duo out of Brighton UK.  Dude splits his bass signal to an octave higher on one side, and normal on the other. Then goes to an array of guitar amps with the higher note signal.

We were 3 weeks cold and nailed it. In contrast, recent shows we've prepared for heavily, haven't gone nearly as well. Strange.

Whole different energy.  Love that shit. Nice work.
No Focus Pocus

AgentofOblivion

I wish people cared enough about our band to want to take pictures.