The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentofOblivion

That Laney I listed can go for $600.  It's clean channel reminds me of an 80s Metallica-esque clean sound.  Crystal clear and punchy with great reverb.  The overdrive channel is good and gritty and the 3rd channel has all the gain you could ever want.  The only downside is it's a heavy son of a bitch.  All the channels (along with reverb and 2nd master/solo boost) are all footswitchable. 

mutantcolors

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on June 04, 2014, 10:26:56 AM
Any ideas on cool lighting? 

Pics of the space, and we are in business.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on June 04, 2014, 12:38:02 PM
That Laney I listed can go for $600.  It's clean channel reminds me of an 80s Metallica-esque clean sound.  Crystal clear and punchy with great reverb.  The overdrive channel is good and gritty and the 3rd channel has all the gain you could ever want.  The only downside is it's a heavy son of a bitch.  All the channels (along with reverb and 2nd master/solo boost) are all footswitchable. 

Sounds like a killer amp.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on June 04, 2014, 10:26:56 AM
Finally started work on my basement to get it ready for band rehearsal.  I bought a house (about a year ago) with a primary motivation being a place to play music.  Took my shit into the basement and started looking around for an outlet...not a single fucking one.  Well, finally got around to running a couple 20 amp circuits to that side and wired up some outlets.  Now I need to think about additional/cool lighting and get that wired up so I can put in a drop ceiling and insulate. 

Any ideas on cool lighting?  I think lighting from underneath looks great but not sure how to implement without building a raised floor or stage, which seems a bit overkill.  Lighting can really set the vibe for jamming and now's the time to do it right before the joists are hard to get to.

I use something like this, works great and is adjustable when we want super dark stage simulation.

liquidsmoke

It's cool that this actually works.
[cloudset]https://soundcloud.com/orogen/sets/demo[/cloudset]

RAGER

I believe that 80's clean Metalica-esque is a JC-120.
No Focus Pocus

dogfood

Quote from: dogfood on June 04, 2014, 11:07:15 AM
x100b is all tube with ss added to the pre section for more "hot rodding" not Judas Priest Hot Rocking.

I somehow never read this before but it makes sense as the full up distortion sound isn't all that rich sounding. The clean channel is very nice though.

[/quote]

For the straight up Marshall tone: 

1)Use the lower input to plug into, it has less gain and sounds smoother.
2)Do not pull out the lead gain knobby, too much gain
3)Keep the graphic eq use to a minimum. active circuits add noise.
4)Stick to the gain and mstr volume.

Voila-Marshall
Problem solving whiskey!

RAGER

Upstairs jam rig the other day.  I just grab what I can and set it up and see what happens.

No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

^ nice!

Quote from: dogfood on June 04, 2014, 06:22:22 PM
For the straight up Marshall tone: 

1)Use the lower input to plug into, it has less gain and sounds smoother.
2)Do not pull out the lead gain knobby, too much gain
3)Keep the graphic eq use to a minimum. active circuits add noise.
4)Stick to the gain and mstr volume.

Voila-Marshall

Sounds about right. Is the diode only activated with the lead knob pulled out?

dogfood

I ain't no ingineeear so I cannot say for sure but this is the how I ran mine prior to it being thefted cause it sounded like a rock amp and would handle most pedals but the moment you pull out that lead knobby it was no bueno.
Also:
100w setting
4x12 cab

Problem solving whiskey!

jibberish

hey father o'blivion, sounds like you're setting up a nice catacomb there. check these crazy cfl bulbs out. true colored phosphors, no colored glass or other fail filter bullshit, just rich monochrome. hypnotic. I love these things. I pick them up at home depot, but you can get them online like at amazon cheaper

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-13-Watt-60W-Black-Twist-CFL-Light-Bulb-BPESL15T-BLB/100553168

edit: check out rapidled for led drivers and cree led's. a constant current 700mA driver that runs from like 4-14 led's in a series string is $15, dimmable-$20. the cree leds are various wattages and cost from a buck or two to maybe $6 each. make your own aluminum heat sinks. fuck buying them. you can snake leds pretty much anywhere, and those crees will blind you with no lens on, like sneaking a peak at arc welding . fucking amazing

my test rig on the science project tank has been going 12hrs a day for 2.5 years now, not a hitch. I have 8 3 watt cree leds and the $15 driver...whole thing uses like 25watts, and the light cast down into the tank is amazing, but leds are better for spotting , fluorescent is better for filling.

mortlock

i love those lights too. got them all over the house. if you see the green one on, you know its 420 time.

JemDooM

hah!  :D

So this is what last nights gig looked like....

We were playing in a bar basement and I ordered a veggie dog a couple of hours before we were due to play, turned out to have nuts in it and I'm allergic. I tried to pretend it was ok for an hour until my entire body turned bright red and I was itching like hell all over. We spent all night in the hospital and the whole time I was contemplating running back to play our set, rubbish....
DooM!

RAGER

Jeebus Jem!  hope you're feeling better.  Didn't see that one coming.  pwned by a veg dog.
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

Quotepwned by a veg dog.

that made me laugh  :D
DooM!

liquidsmoke

Yikes! Fuck allergies in the butthole.

Saw Grotto(Cuda dudes plus a singer) last night for I think the third time. Bass player had a Matamp and an Orange going into two 8x10s. Whoa. Great set. I hope they record these songs.

mortlock

Quote from: JemDooM on June 06, 2014, 08:11:29 AM
hah!  :D

So this is what last nights gig looked like....

We were playing in a bar basement and I ordered a veggie dog a couple of hours before we were due to play, turned out to have nuts in it and I'm allergic. I tried to pretend it was ok for an hour until my entire body turned bright red and I was itching like hell all over. We spent all night in the hospital and the whole time I was contemplating running back to play our set, rubbish....
total metal..that splotch of blood even looks like a pentagram a little..

jibberish

\m/

liquid, I checked out your sound cloudburst.  nice tunes. cool vocals.
the only thing that hit me strange was it sounded like you eq'd everything out pretty heavily from the upper midrange on up.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on June 07, 2014, 02:42:34 AM
\m/

liquid, I checked out your sound cloudburst.  nice tunes. cool vocals.
the only thing that hit me strange was it sounded like you eq'd everything out pretty heavily from the upper midrange on up.

Thanks for listening. There is a lack of upper mids and highs for sure. The next recording should be more full and clear sounding.

RAGER

Got 2 new monobox synths coming this week.  Picking up a Waldorf Rocket tomorrow and my Meeblip Anode should be here mid week.

Contemplating selling the Shruthi I built.
No Focus Pocus

Jor el

I may have aks'd this before - Which one of yous owns this ?

What Would Scooby Do ?

BrianDamage

Quote from: liquidsmoke on June 03, 2014, 01:45:19 PM
He says he would prefer a head but there aren't that many similar amps in a head version on the lower end of the price spectrum. The Classic heads seem to be pretty rare. Thinking a XXX might also work although I've heard mixed things about it's clean channel and the quality of it's non-high gain rock tones.
Unless he needs country style clean at high volume a classic 50 would be killer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

mortlock

a few pics from last nights show..
PENIS GEYSER with an assist from Joe [TUURD]with the drums.

HADES MINING Co.

Montys Krown Rochester NY. 6.6.14

RAGER

My girl got me a new mascot.  I love me some crows.

No Focus Pocus