The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 20, 2014, 03:06:23 AM
Quote from: mutantcolors on May 20, 2014, 02:21:27 AM
My bandcamp got linked to my old personal paypal.

Much easier than creating a band paypal account and opening a band bank account and more sensible than creating a band paypal only to link it to someone's personal bank account.

There is the issue of taxes but I can't imagine a few hundred bucks max being worth worrying about.

Ehh..

"If you already have a PayPal Personal account, you'll need to upgrade it to a Business account (otherwise you'll have a low limit on the number of credit card transactions, and amount of money, you can accept). "

They don't provide details on how much this low limit and amount of money is.

mutantcolors

In all fairness I've made two sales ever  :D

liquidsmoke

I'm thinking that starting with a personal account that hasn't been upgraded to a business one is probably fine. We are going to offer it for free although I hope at least some people pay a few bucks.

RAGER

I don't remember having to do this when I started my bandcamp.  I wonder if it would prompt me to if I wanted to upload anything else.
No Focus Pocus

mutantcolors

I shouldn't even say sales because my stuff is free, I just accept donations.

Cursed71

The policy probably changed.  We've had the same paypal account since we signed up, and managed to make a bunch of sales.  I feel like the percentage bandcamp makes on sales takes care of the user having to deal with taxes.  That's just a theory though.

liquidsmoke

My Google searching up posts on Etsy(sp?) forums about the topic of taxes and someone always points out that income is income. I'm hoping to avoid that whole thing but it's surely harder if your band has it's own paypal, bank account, tax id, etc.

liquidsmoke

I'm an infant. When this is printed out(from a flash drive at Kinkos) it looks all digital and shitty and blurry. I tried some stuff in Gimp and it either did nothing or made it look weird.

Anyone?

edit: aunty to the rescue, she is going to redraw it  ;D

VOLVO)))

hold up. I'll butcher it for you.

what font is it?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Logo issue: Look at Image Size in your drop-down menu bar. It's probably too small or too low-resolution. Printers are typically printing at 300 dpi (dots per inch) while your monitor is 72 ppi (pixels per inch)* So something that looks awesome on your monitor can look steppy or blurry when you print it out.

Since type is usually live and editable, you should be able to resize your image to the correct dimensions (inches) and resolution (dpi). Unless your logo is a drawing, then you might need to re-scan it.

Beware that print resolution is 300 but e-flyers are only 72. If you want to use an image for both (real flyers, e-flyers) make the real flyer first, and scale it down when you're done for the e-flyer version (save each with different names).

*people use dpi and ppi interchangeably, I dunno if that is incorrect or not. I don't worry about it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

It's 'dark castle'. I finally downloaded it and will do a test print of different sizes at FedEx in the morning. I had previously only done a mock up on a font site and took a screen shot of it. It's free though and I've got the whole font thing figured out on my computer.

I'll keep the dpi and scaling down stuff in mind. If all else fails my aunt will redraw it.

showdown

We don't play anything even remotely like Helmet, but we got a gig opening for them in September. Could be fun ;D

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

That's a strange font for a dental hygiene product's logo.  :P
Livin' The Life.

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

everdrone

mutantcolors

Big digital fonts are as simple as not rasterizing so that it retains it's vector mapping and thus is not generated with pixels. If you have to rasterize, do it very last once the size you need is set.

liquidsmoke

We are planning some shows at dental school sororities in Oregon.

VOLVO)))

This was my bass rig for the evening. Absolutely the best sounding rig I've ever played bass through.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

damn man..where was that. it looks like it would sound awesome..

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on May 21, 2014, 11:54:17 PM
That a showman 2x15?

That's my jam space/local record store. It is a dual showman 2x15. Eminence delta 15b speakers. Westone Thunder 1A. I think I might buy a second JCM800 now, and split that cab internally for stereo.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I wish I had a Super twin to put on top.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.