The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

I know at least one guy who uses Ableton, and he performs with it.

I've also seen laptops crash before/during peoples' sets, and I never want that to risk anything like that.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Jake

I bought some Ernie Ball strings from Amazon recently. In two of three packs, there were the wrong sized high E. The vendor directed me to an EB rep, who was super apologetic and just sent me a bunch of free replacement strings (and free whole packs) to make good. Figured I'd spread the word.
poop.

dogfood

Jibby, the olde ball and chaine lived in Medina for years and her parents live in Brunstucky.  It seems my new roots are deeply imbedded in da souf sieede.  I found the amp fixer online, Hamely, he is out of Brunswick.  Seems everyone is in our neck of the woods. 

Qué estilo de stoner rock Qué te gusta hacer?  Inquiring minds want to know.  I like hard riffing ala Sabbath meats Unsane.
Problem solving whiskey!

jibberish

ahh, that explains this specific locale. cool, so you are not a total stranger to around here.
ricky medlock's place is/was down off of hadcock(next door to bolt and l ron's) haha hadcock. only in brunstucky heh

ya, I was just curious about what you actually like to play. I haven't figured out what I really like to play yet, so I try everything.

RAGER

I think Imma finna have a problem with some strings soon.  Kidding.  I don't pull shit like that.

Quote from: Lumpy on May 15, 2014, 01:03:52 AM
I know at least one guy who uses Ableton, and he performs with it.

I've also seen laptops crash before/during peoples' sets, and I never want that to risk anything like that.

Not sure if I'll ado any of this electronic stuff live but if I do I won't be using any laptops.
No Focus Pocus

dogfood

My second roommate ever lived up on the NE side and babysat for Jim Fox's brat/and or brats?!
Problem solving whiskey!

Lumpy

Ernie Ball has great customer service, in my experience (but only if you contact them through the website message doohicky, not so much via email).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

BrianDamage

So after a few years off from playing in bands I have gotten super rusty at singing and playing bass at the same time. Gonna be buckling down and practicing this shit. Anyone have any tips for singing while playing busy 70's style basslines?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

jibberish

yay, back in the saddle again for you.

I have some songs that I play and sing. I have to learn the music first, then slowly layer the vocal parts in as I am able to do both parts. you know how some phrases are easier than others. I keep pushing as much as I can and try to like hum the melody if it is still too much. usually the bullshit happens when the music phrasing gets complex with the voice timing of stuff. then I just have to brute force that little part over until I get it.

i'm putting the vocals on Ripple by the dead right now. I can lalala my way through heh. I also have the music down cold so this one is going fast. just the discipline of remembering the words.

I scrambled the words to boot scootin boogie(I hate that fucking song so I had to fuck it up) into cloven hoof boogie.  ok, for starters, brooks and dumb stole that whole rhythm from an older song called the stroll.  that's what caught my attention when I first heard that song from them, like i had heard that before.. it is that repeating 3 chord stroll rhythm.  I had to get that rhythm automatic. once I did, it was a joke to replace all the words with my own.

I have a song of my own where I have arpeggiated chords and have to sing over it. that has been a bitch due to the extra focus needed to pick all the different strings in time and all the same volume etc. I actually had to finally assign 2 syllables to 2 note picks to keep the thing aligned as it went along. maybe when I really get it down I can relax the vocal timing and hang in the phrase ok, but not yet.

last thing, I have noticed that if I can hit a state of de-focus towards any one thing and sort of step back and see it all with the minds eye like the conductor vs the orchestra, the big picture merges and it is easier at that point.  more mélange please. yes duh my eyes are blue.haha

it is such good brain exercise too. I dig the challenge.

RacerX

Quote from: BrianDamage on May 18, 2014, 06:41:02 AM
So after a few years off from playing in bands I have gotten super rusty at singing and playing bass at the same time. Gonna be buckling down and practicing this shit. Anyone have any tips for singing while playing busy 70's style basslines?

1) Get started.

2) Repetition, repetition, & repetition.
Livin' The Life.

everdrone

I sing and play guitar/bass, and I realize that many do this live such as Queens of the Stone Age on guitar, but

just listening to the music, I dont give out kudos cause the singer is playing an instrument at the same time or anything.  My music gets more simple to compensate, and the singing is not as good.  somehow I think it is best if the singer just sings.

mortlock

Quote from: everdrone on May 18, 2014, 10:04:00 AM

I sing and play guitar/bass, and I realize that many do this live such as Queens of the Stone Age on guitar, but

just listening to the music, I dont give out kudos cause the singer is playing an instrument at the same time or anything.  My music gets more simple to compensate, and the singing is not as good.  somehow I think it is best if the singer just sings.
unless you happen to be geddy lee or burke shelley..

RacerX

...or if you want a singer who helps carry the gear.
Livin' The Life.

BrianDamage

Singers who don't play are useless.

"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

liquidsmoke

^ unless they are really really great singers.

My play and sing at the same time trick for new songs is to get the guitar parts down first and then start working in the vocals.

mortlock

Re:
Quote from: BrianDamage on May 18, 2014, 10:16:37 PM
Singers who don't play are useless.

jibberish

everdrone, don't compromise, practice that hard shit more. the new skill you burn into your brain enables even more harder stuff. if you compromise, you stall out.

edit: I was thinking about dudes who play and sing well. the dude from triumph. I saw them live. he is a force.  Lindsay Buckingham and paul McCartney

adrian belew.

everdrone

well, the good side about singing is that you can write songs on your own and its one less potential flake to deal with, and singers usually do not own a PA anywayz and but headz on fundamental values

dogfood

I got dragged to the Richardson Wildflower Festival, in suburban hellish Richardson, TX, Saturday night.  Free Cheap Trick show was the highlight of the evening (we completely missed Joan Jett  >:().  Old ass Robin Zander is the real deal, his singing is as good as the goddamn CDs.  No wonder they are still road dogging it.  Bassist Tom Petersson is meh, the drummer wasn't Bun E Carlos but a very pro replacement, and Rick needs to tighten up his chops, he was sloppy on all the lead work.

Point is Robin's vocals are the locomotive that pulls the rest of the music along, it wouldn't matter if he played keytar up there. 
Problem solving whiskey!

RAGER

I love Cheap Trick and agree wholeheartedly about Robin Zander.  I have always thought Rick Nielsen was sloppy and paid more attention to stage antics rather than playing.
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

So... to setup a Bandcamp deal you need to setup a Paypal business account which means you need to choose an "Employer ID Number" apparently. Am I way off with this? What do y'all do?

mutantcolors

My bandcamp got linked to my old personal paypal.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mutantcolors on May 20, 2014, 02:21:27 AM
My bandcamp got linked to my old personal paypal.

Much easier than creating a band paypal account and opening a band bank account and more sensible than creating a band paypal only to link it to someone's personal bank account.

There is the issue of taxes but I can't imagine a few hundred bucks max being worth worrying about.

jibberish

playing with the pharaoh supreme. the demos all stay pretty subtle. I wanted to see how much this overlapped the mt-2.  I have tried quite a few distortion boxes out and most go to shit when you crank up the distortion. the mt-2 was more blurble-y, more musical even when puking.

I picked the most strangled clip diode and turned everything mostly all the way up except pre off. this is one very clean very distorted sound. the overtones are plenty musical and do not force yu to just play 2 note power chords or everything else gets lost in the super clip-puke.

this is LP neck pup only through pharaoh supreme then into digital land. hint of delay but nothing crazy. all tones and overtones came from playing. I didn't touch one single knob once I started playing. the song is scraps of a droney middle east sounding thng I am still trying to assemble and I worked around the fretboard a little for demo purposes. this is one fucking awesome box as of right now.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/doktordeath/pstest1[/soundcloud]

BrianDamage

Thing is I have no issues playing guitar and singing. Of course my bass playing is a bit busier than my guitardation.

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003