The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

stoked.
I decided to play with more old stuff that stopped working. the roland vs-880 8tracker had the double effects boards in it. roland effects are nice. I want those back. lo and behold, blow out the power switch, use different cord, wiggle the switch a few times and she fired up for me HAH.

I must finish replacing my mt-2 stomp switch and get that pharaoh.  I will go from shit for effects to back in business effects. plus get the little behringer mixer back from my son. that has some effects that I actually like. 

then the only thing missing will be analog delay pedal or 2

Mr. Foxen

Drummer watched Neurosis at Temples. Now he is trying to make everything sound like Neurosis. He'll need some better sounding toms.

RAGER

Better Toms will get you on better Bills but still won't get you Jack but dreams of Benjamins, Bob's your uncle for sure.
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

Any of you bass players ever use two 100+ watt tube guitar heads for bass? Seems like that would probably work pretty good with like two 4x10s.

Danny G

I've used my 100w JCM800 as a bass amp many times.

Sounds great as long as I'm not playing it with a SUPER LOUD band, then it's kind of under-powered.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

VOLVO)))

Used to use my model T and my JCM800.

Now i use my JCM800 and an acoustic 370 for bass.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 07, 2014, 12:23:15 AM
Any of you bass players ever use two 100+ watt tube guitar heads for bass? Seems like that would probably work pretty good with like two 4x10s.

I use a 100w and a 50w. The 100w has iron about the size of that in an SVT though, because its not cheap and shitty. The 50w is more Sound City 120 sized iron. 4x10s are pretty suck though, I use 2x15s. Pretty much no 4x10s have progressed past 80s tech level.

BrianDamage

So the power trio project thing fell through but 2 days later I ran onto an ad from two dudes looking for a bassist/singer so I responded to the ad. Showed up to the jam space and as I walk up the dudes are jamming "Never In My Life" by Mountain. Once insid3 we jammed on some more Mountain, some Cream ( SOYL and Politician) and some James Gang (Walk Away) covers before we just free jammed. I could see myself being very happy with this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on May 07, 2014, 09:09:50 AM

I use a 100w and a 50w. The 100w has iron about the size of that in an SVT though, because its not cheap and shitty. The 50w is more Sound City 120 sized iron. 4x10s are pretty suck though, I use 2x15s. Pretty much no 4x10s have progressed past 80s tech level.

How about Avatar's 4x10s? Either way two 4x10s is a lot of speaker, no? You actually use two 2x15s? That's pretty awesome.

liquidsmoke

Keyboard players that don't have amps and play venues with weak PAs and no monitors. Does anyone understand this?

MichaelZodiac

They don't like doing that but being in a loud band with some a-hole diming everything on his guitar/bass amp and another a-hole with a huge 26" bass drum, they kinda have to.

/isinabandwithsynthpeople

/theiropinionnotmine
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

liquidsmoke

Cymbal volume alone dictates that everyone has to crank their amps pretty damn loud to be heard.

At least get a 4x10 and 400 watts you keyboard people. Or a powered PA speaker you can stick on a stand.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 07, 2014, 01:20:51 PM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on May 07, 2014, 09:09:50 AM

How about Avatar's 4x10s? Either way two 4x10s is a lot of speaker, no? You actually use two 2x15s? That's pretty awesome.

Dunno specifically but fundamentally 4x12 is not a great design, and there are great designs available. Plus those two 4x10s would be heavier than my 2 2x5s.

Pissy

120 watt tube head bass player here.

I used this setup for a while, but bailed on the traynor cab setup.  It was too much to haul for the small gigs we play.

sorry for the dark pic, but the traynor cab has a 60 watt head with some relatively inefficient speakers (2x15) so I used that for grit mostly.  I went into it from the TU-2 split into a vol pedal.  When I wanted the grunt, I could roll it on.  The ampeg setup is the one I've used now for a few years.  Both of those heads are Garnets.  Ampeg cab is the 610, and I love it.
Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

I put two 4x12s in a pontiac vibe today.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

BrianDamage

So this EB-0 is a strange beast. Absolutely no high end yet cuts through a band mix exceptionally well. It also provides super heavy duty low end and I am digging the short scale neck quite a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

liquidsmoke

MichaelZodiac

If I was go gonna go tube for playing bass I'd go for 50w/100w models as well. The grit is nicer imo.

So tonight first rehearsal with new synth player. I hope it works out because she's the only synth player we know. She is the list so to speak. I'll just focus on playing with the drummer, that has worked out so far ;D
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

agent of change

Used to run ProTools back in the day, did all kinds of home recording from basement death metal to electronica sampled from stoner metal albums. After giving it all away and living out of a van for seven years, I'm settling back into a home life again and about to start all over. Found a ProTools and M-Audio combination but looks like it's an "Express" version of ProTools that doesn't have any fx plug-ings. So now I'm debating between FocusRite 2i2 and Reaper (which a friend is very happy with), or an M-Audio M-Track that comes with Ableton Lite and Ignite, almost half the price of the other purchase. About to search this forum for "home recording" threads.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Well there is the issue of my vagina..

Regarding guitar amps for bass, the SVT is notorious for having loads of headroom but 200 or 240 watts of guitar tube head should be almost as loud, makes perfect sense and is generally easier to lug around.

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 09, 2014, 01:46:11 PM
Well there is the issue of my vagina..

That's no excuse—you can use the vag for transporting smaller gear items so that there'll be room in the Vibe for your manly 4x12s.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Sure!

Even smaller fx pedals might fit after it stretches out some.
Livin' The Life.