The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

I used to have a "Boogie" square cab with the expanded metal grill and EVs.

Yes sounded awesome, but I sold it to Super Heavy Goat Ass because it took two people to lift it off the ground. And no casters either.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

That, and I would like a Tetris Doom Refridarator Magnent.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

Texas Tetris Pontiac Light Cab Fag Doom

Rise Above will be all over this.

Metal and Beer

Can Hydrozeen "refridgerater magnents" be far behind ?
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

jibberish

Quote from: Metal and Beer on May 02, 2014, 02:56:28 PM
Can Hydrozeen "refridgerater magnents" be far behind ?
awesome you remember that. I still think that would be too funny.. I would get some.

liquidsmoke

magnents?  :D

Purple and pink 128 ohm Vibe magnents

jibberish

absolutely "refrigitater magnents" or something like that.

liquidsmoke

Doing some Fender/Carvin tube head comparisons with an a/b switcher box today and am noticing that more watts per speaker helps low end clarity. I think I'll start using both heads, why not? 150 watt speakers like to eat.

MOAR POWER BETTER TONE

VOLVO)))

You have to carry those, you know?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Yeah and the Dual Showman weighs almost as much as some 4x12s. The Carvin isn't bad though. Messed around with my Peavey Rockmaster preamp into SS power amp today as well but there is this weird shitty sounding crackle sometimes at the end of palm muted power chords. I think those units might have to go on ebay soon.

RAGER

Oh we're talking about ridiculous heavy 4x12's?  My vote/contribution is for my '88 Randall 4x12 with square expanded metal grill.  Bassy as shit and heavy as fuck.
No Focus Pocus

justJon

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 02, 2014, 05:59:17 PM
You have to carry those, you know?
Suck it up, and tell your drummer to hit the gym!

(We're glorified roadies, aren't we?)
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

mortlock

unfortunately I am my own roadie and quite frankly it sucks. especially when stairs are involved. I played this gig at a skatepark in Jamestown ny once. the fuckin thing was built on the top floor of a 3 story building. it was cool as fuck but I literally had to haul equipment up 3 floors worth of stairs..not fun..

liquidsmoke

Stairs are fucking evil.

Check this out, ported 2x12 guitar cabs. They toot their own horn a great deal.

http://earcandycabs.com/guitar-speaker-cabs/buzzbomb-2x12/

Cursed71

Our practice space is on the third floor of an old factory.  For two years we couldn't use the elevator, and had to haul gear up and down three flights of stairs for gigs.  Fuck stairs.

Pissy

That G&L El Toro that I just reconstituted after more than a decade being out of commission is quickly becoming my go to.  I like the way that it's set up and the position of the pickups is good for me considering where I put my plucking hand.  Just feels right.  The sound of it is different for me as well.  It's got kind of a chewy tone, that is just south of a honk.  Loaded with EMG actives, I'd never played active J-bass pickups before, but it's pretty unique.  At least for me.  That being said, I got a local guy on the lookout for the original pickups, that will be all but impossible to find.  I'm told this guy is a miracle worker though, so we'll see.  After only 1600 or so of these basses were made in total, the chances are really slim.
Vinyls.   deal.

everdrone

I dunno about weightlifting

a little is ok but I mean musicianship is endurance and fine movements and weightlifting trains your muscles for the opposite.  think about how you have to contort your back to get the cab out of the back seat of the car!  lifting is one thing, but tetrising and humping bulky heavy gear is another.

I definitely second Neos and small cabs!  I am a musician, not a weightlifter.  I dig my neo 410 cabs, they weigh only 40 pounds!

Ever wonder why there are so many chiros and back surgeons? consider the way physics works:

When you add in the 105 pounds of the average human upper torso, you see that lifting a ten pound object actually puts 1,150 pounds of pressure on the lower back. In my line of work I have seen A TON of serious low back injuries. I lift correctly and use a back brace when lifting this bulky item. More than one million workers suffer back injuries account annually, and these account for one in five workplace injuries (Bureau of Labor Statistics). 80% of these injuries are to the low back (lumbar spine). Back injuries cost the US economy billions of dollars each year. I am glad I do not have one, I would settle for a little less or more tone with neodymium speakers; I just want to avoid getting any back injury ;)

RacerX

I'm 53 and have been hauling my own gear for years.

You've just got to lift properly.

Hell, My old Sunn 4x12 doesn't even have handles.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

I had one of those Boogie cabs like Danny. I weighed it once, because it was almost silly how heavy it was (especially since it was even a bit smaller than a Marshall-sized cab).

It weighed 135 lbs. But I did have casters, thank Satan.
poop.

everdrone

I have a 212 orange closed back cab; I hate lifting it at 62 pounds of bulkiness

everdrone

I may just get another orange 212 closed back cab and skip the expensive neo speaker replacements until later on in life

...until when the Kemper/AxefxII gets better

more heresy lolerz ;D

Cursed71

Jesus Christ!  What good are band mates if they don't assist in lifting gear? Everyone knows cabs are heavy.  Why are you all lifting them yourselves?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

A 40 lb 4x10 bass cab? Whoa. I didn't know they were that light with neos.

Generally after gigs we all go our separate ways in my band. Sometimes we meet up the next day to load the cabs in, sometimes we don't. Lighter is better but not essential. I just sold my motorcycle and got my tax return so..