The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

I like it for its noisecore/grindcore/power violence sections..
they really need a power electronic/HNW category..

xayk

Looked into a practice space last week, looking into another one next week to compare and contrast.

In a city full of old mills and garages, you'd think there'd be more options available than storage places looking to make a buck...

Jake

The new Floor album is fucking sick. Sick.

Sick.

Like, sick.
poop.

Corey Y

Quote from: Jake on April 25, 2014, 11:21:55 AM
The new Floor album is fucking sick. Sick.

Sick.

Like, sick.

Sounds sic [sic].

Jake

poop.

Omlet

I just realized I have sixty one tracks uploaded on my yt channel, all made by me :D

And probably I have about 10-15 still unpublished songs...

Corey Y

I'm trying out vocalists for an online collaboration right now, so I can do something with songs I'm writing by myself at home. Man, it is difficult in this type of situation with no other band mates to bounce opinions off of. When you audition people in person they can show up and suck, be great or anywhere in between and totally come off unprepared or fake their way through it. Trying people out online adds a different dimension entirely, because they really can't be lazy or a flake at all. They have to supply lyrics, record a track and send it in to even audition. Adding that into the mix of gathering an opinion on it makes it hard to separate out pure musical taste. Someone could be good at what their doing, I might not dig it or not be certain it's a perfect fit for the music, but I would feel totally bad rejecting them because they obviously have great work ethic and motivation, which makes for a great band mate. If they didn't have that I wouldn't even be hearing their audition at all.

mutantcolors

Quote from: xayk on April 25, 2014, 08:58:17 AM
Looked into a practice space last week, looking into another one next week to compare and contrast.

In a city full of old mills and garages, you'd think there'd be more options available than storage places looking to make a buck...

It's a good racket but not as easy as you might think. Takes some know how and $$$ to construct a room that is not an acoustic atrocity, both internally and for sound transfer to adjacent spaces.

Oh and you have to give a shit about music to take it to that level. Most people don't. Tell me where you live and I'll investigate setting up shop there. True story.

Pissy

Quote from: mutantcolors on April 25, 2014, 05:57:17 PM
Quote from: xayk on April 25, 2014, 08:58:17 AM

It's a good racket but not as easy as you might think. Takes some know how and $$$ to construct a room that is not an acoustic atrocity, both internally and for sound transfer to adjacent spaces.

Oh and you have to give a shit about music to take it to that level. Most people don't. Tell me where you live and I'll investigate setting up shop there. True story.

You run a rehearsal space, no?  How do you deal with people who want to live there?  Have asked you that before?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

My buddy owns this place.  http://reverbrehearsal.com/  Pretty sure he has that scenario expressed in the contract everyone signs.
No Focus Pocus

everdrone

jammed with a guitarist/singer and drummer last night.  guitarist just laid down a riff or two and once I got it down on bass, he just soloed like for 15 minutes for each song.  bad acoustics, so even with my 212 bass amp on a stand angled at my head, I loose my note.

I stopped weightlifting and only do cardio and swimming now, and make sure to play guitar or bass every day of course.  I do iso exercises and stretch before/after playing and am eating super healthy.  I am noticing no soreness and feeling better all around, so I am happy about that; will be finishing off a new song soon.  I put some songs for free download on bandcamp; I am thinking maybe bandcamp is better to get my stuff out there, cause my songs have been downloaded only twice from soundcloud anywayz  ???  maybe better sound quality at least.

Danny G

Tracked guitar today for Ocean of Stars demo EP

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

eyeprod

played a fun house show last night with my band, CV. The touring band was a really cool noise/industrial punk band from oakland, called Mansion. Check em out here...http://mmansionn.bandcamp.com/album/mansion

Next saturday we're playing with Dah Wyrdoz, who are billed as party rock and has the drummer from Stone Axe and the bassist from Mos Generator, who are brothers evidently. Looks like they dress up like freaks, the same as us, so it should be a good time.
CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

Sweet!  Mikey has run sound for my band in the past at Winterland up in Bremerton and Scooter is a rad bass player.  Should be a good time.
No Focus Pocus

Jake

After years of being convinced that the idea of a high-mass bridge increasing sustain is highly overblown, I have been humbled. I just put a fancy pants Schaller bridge on my Telebastard Deluxe, and the sustain is almost supernatural. And I didn't even buy it for any other reasons besides I more flexibility in intonating and needed a top loading bridge. What an awesome surprise the ridiculous sustain is. Thank you, German engineering.

poop.

xayk

Quote from: mutantcolors on April 25, 2014, 05:57:17 PM

I'm sure doing it right takes time/knowledge/money/etc, for sure. Cool that you run spaces and that you care!

I'm in Pittsburgh.

Lumpy

Al Cisnero's Matamp slave unit on Ebay - used on Dopesmoker and part of Holy Mountain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201079939409#viTabs_0
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Current bid:US $4,150.00   ::)

Also, nice bridge Jake.

mortlock

Quote from: Jake on April 27, 2014, 02:14:58 PM
After years of being convinced that the idea of a high-mass bridge increasing sustain is highly overblown, I have been humbled. I just put a fancy pants Schaller bridge on my Telebastard Deluxe, and the sustain is almost supernatural. And I didn't even buy it for any other reasons besides I more flexibility in intonating and needed a top loading bridge. What an awesome surprise the ridiculous sustain is. Thank you, German engineering.

ive had a badass bass bridge on my fender jazz pretty much since I bought it in 1992..it was installed with in a month on me buying the bass.

liquidsmoke

It sounds like my diagonal 2x12s are just barely big enough to be converted to 4x12s if I order new baffles. I get that small 4x12s aren't as loud as big 4x12s but they'll still be quite a bit louder.

I'd like to add 2 neos to each but which model? What would be a good fit for Swamp Thangs? Those are 150 watts and 102db each. Is this a terrible idea? If I didn't hate heavy cabs I'd just add more Swamps because they rule.

Lumpy

What about buying a bigger car, or a van? Or renting a van when you play shows? Instead of trying to reach your goals while compromising on gear size. Trying to have a monstrous sound isn't about being practical.

Bigger cabs = better bass response. If you stick two additional speakers in your existing cab, will you lose some bass response? I dunno, interesting question. At some point there are diminishing returns, I don't know where that point is. You could try asking Eminence for some tech support on that.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Okay I'll email Eminence. I originally went with Swamps on their suggestion. For neos it's one of two models from them.

Ideally I'd probably use two 4x15s or four 4x12s  ;D

More speakers in the cabs I already have will allow for better tone at equal to somewhat louder volumes, I have little doubt about that even if I'd be better off with normal size 4x12s.

MichaelZodiac

Our synth player sorta disappeared from the world.. The last time I saw him he was very mentally unstable, rambling about the fact the mother of his girlfriend was calling him because he may or may not have been violent with his girl. He's a bit unstable anyway but this time it felt like he was reeling over the edge.. We were gonna rehearse last week and after wednesday he dropped of the face of the earth. Hasn't come on fb, texts don't even get delivered, phone goes straight to voicemail. He was supposed to help out at a show yesterday evening, didn't show up and didn't answer texts. In the end his girl texted to tell he was sick.

This situation just sucks because we're getting ready to play out and he's clearly some place else... Luckily the drummer feels the same way so we asked another synth player if she wanted to jam, she's into it so that's good.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RacerX

Bummer, dude. No reason having people involved who aren't into it, though, so you made the right choice.

I'm off all week on staycation; today & tomorrow I'll be doing some recording at my buddy Rich's place.
Livin' The Life.

Corey Y

Since last week I've been doing a massive music related spring cleaning. If I haven't played something in over a year, it gets sold. Sold a 410 bass cab (still have 4 other bass cabs!), my '80 SG and now I've got my Beta Bass and my PRRI on the chopping block. I've got a couple basses I probably should put up too, but I do actually use all of em...just sporadically. Still have a ton of pedals too, but I keep those around for recording (me or other people).