The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

It's one o them AC 30 RI's.  Nobody'd want it.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Well hook up a kickstarter looking for people to donate to the loss you're taking on that AC30.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

the diddler

RAGER

I just had to put an alternator in my Nissan truck.  The alternator was cheap but it took way too long.  I had to remove power steering and radiator hoses to access the damn thing.  I'm good on money.  I just want that time back.  Can I do that?
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Instant Dan

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 13, 2014, 05:22:26 PM
I don't understand why Suhr guitars are so expensive. I understand better material quality, but I know even the highest grades of wood don't take a four hundred dollar guitar and make it 2.5k. I know it's more than wood but realistically, im sure most people, if they were handed a suhr blindfolded, and a fender (set up properly,) they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Name, midnight oil, demand, etc.

Anyone give those reissue Electra Omega's a try-out? They look killer.

Omlet

Okay, all my songs are harsh and primitive (mostly because I'm mediocre guitar player and I don't know shit about mixing and mastering :D) but now my songs have a new "feature" - hiss and noise of my Tele's single coils. And I'm not sure if I like that feature - but probably I'll just live with it :D

jibberish

Quote from: Omlet on April 14, 2014, 06:48:53 PM
Okay, all my songs are harsh and primitive (mostly because I'm mediocre guitar player and I don't know shit about mixing and mastering :D) but now my songs have a new "feature" - hiss and noise of my Tele's single coils. And I'm not sure if I like that feature - but probably I'll just live with it :D

heh. you got me laughing.  that's the kind of stuff I figure out the hard way too.
I sort of had misgivings about my blacktop tele, but now that I am used to the sound, I like it. and the bridge pup still sounds tincan like a single coil, even tho it only has un-tapped humbuckers on it. it is quiet, of course.

I made my LP really quiet by wiring it straight from the pup through its vol/tone pots, then out to a jack. bonus was, the whole rig sounds better. yes, my LP has 2 jacks now, one for each pup.

I am definitely a neck pickup fan overall. I am learning this. I always end up there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also like the tone on the guitar of black betty, the original ramjam version. was that an LP-marshall rig? that's what it sounds like, but I still haven't heard 90% of the amps.

Danny G

90% of the amps today probably weren't around back then, so Marshall is always a good guess \m/,

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

Tax return thoughts... compact 4x12s with loud, high wattage handling neos could be awesome but does anyone make 12" guitar neos that would be good for thick low tuned high gain metal? My 2x12s have Swamp Thangs and I like their tone.

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 15, 2014, 01:50:05 PM
Tax return thoughts... compact 4x12s with loud, high wattage handling neos could be awesome but does anyone make 12" guitar neos that would be good for thick low tuned high gain metal? My 2x12s have Swamp Thangs and I like their tone.

I have been saving up for Tonkerlites and lightweight 212s to save my back, but there is always a tonal compromise...  fortunately I am an artist and not a showman attached to an image or volume gimmick :) 

(trying to convince myself not to get another heavy cab)

liquidsmoke

The worst part about sizable moderate to heavy cabs is going through doors and up and down stairs by yourself. I don't go for dragging and sliding.

A stack of three 2x12s could be awesome but I'm not sure how that would work out with power to each cab. Maybe two 16 ohms and one 8? Would each speaker suck the same amount of juice? Four short 2x12s would rule but that's big bucks to order custom.

Have I got everyone rolling their eyes again?  ;D

everdrone

head and 3 cabs is hard to do, hard on the head!  it would prolly be easier to have two stacks:

head and two cabs

head and two cabs

:)

dogfood

Quote from: Omlet on April 15, 2014, 06:57:44 AM
Quote from: jibberish on April 15, 2014, 03:16:00 AM

I am definitely a neck pickup fan overall.
Same here.

I'm a 90/10 bridge/neck type of guy.  All the aggro top end and a nice deep bottom.
Problem solving whiskey!

Danny G

Tracked sax today for Ocean of Stars demo. Most of it done. Sounds awesome \m/,

Brought a few amps for his pedal board. Settled on the JCM800 running an Ampeg 4x10. Used two tracks, one a straight mic, the other the mic'ed amp rig.

Left behind piece of drum hardware + broken mic stand boom + duct tape = fully functional mic stand

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

mortlock

i set up a discogs store to help sell my labels shit as well as all the trade stuff i have accumulated. if anyone is in need of rare grindcore/noisecore/power electronic vinyl, hit me up.. 

jibberish

liquid, try to always think of speakers in powers of 2. so no matter how you divvy them up, you are getting sets of multiples of 2.

1,2,4,8, etc. ohms law works out much better and symmetry is maintained, especially in the "same current/voltage through each speaker" department

the only crazy exception that I am aware of is that crazy 9 speaker array, 3series strings of 3 speakers in parallel. the whole impedance is the same as a single speaker(if all speakers are same of course)

liquidsmoke

I think my Dual Showman can do three cabs at once. I'm assuming each cab would get the same power.

Lumpy

Can't decide between practicing my own music, or paying $20 to see Loop tonight.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

everdrone

Quote from: Lumpy on April 17, 2014, 07:23:36 AM
Can't decide between practicing my own music, or paying $20 to see Loop tonight.
do the right thing, your music matters more!

RAGER

Fuck right!  Do what is fun.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Gonna call the dude today and pull the plug after 2 jams.  Not feelin it.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

the music room is put together except for the permanent power rewire and the general white overhead lights. neither is a dealbreaker. i have 2 circuits for power and the ambient party lighting is all working. old camera battery is charging for some pictures..this has only been evolving for about 1.5 yrs as i figured out how i really wanted things set up.