The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

That indeed sounds like a damn good time.
No Focus Pocus

dogfood

Yeah, kudos on the show.  I will file that shit away under "atypical venue"
Problem solving whiskey!

Metal and Beer

Hell yeah, Khoom, sounds like what we all live for. Downtown Music in Little Cock had that vibe for several years, it's a wonderful thing (and rare as whale shit)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

khoomeizhi

Quote from: mutantcolors on April 10, 2014, 05:35:17 PM
Sadly playing out is rarely that great of an event. Those once in a decade occurrences make it worth it though.

so maybe playing once every year-and-eight-months like we've been doing is about right. keep a decent average, and all.  ;D
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RacerX

After a long period of woodshedding, I've finally gotten the hang of fingerpicking. I barely even use my nails anymore except for when I want a more "picky" sound—just the fingertips. The calluses on the thumb & first 2 fingers on my picking hand are finally thick enough to pick for an hour or more.
Livin' The Life.

Omlet

I'm seriously considering starting yet another music project, this time some accoustic/slightly overdriven doomy soundscapes without any percussion. I think that riffs will be almost totally black metal style (in vein of early Ulver and mid-Darkthrone), of course very repetitive and slowly played.

Or maybe I'll just merge my black metal project with something like this. Probably it's not really important thing but I'm not sure yet.

Lumpy

You just solved your 'no-drummer' problem. Do it!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

doomy soundscapes.
maybe one of us synth clowns can make you some stuff

here is my demo tape for my audition to join to join your Black Mambient audio revolution haha

it starts with a track of cool fail FM I recorded. I can post just the raw fm noise track if you ever want it for something you are doing.

Danny G

Ocean of Stars demo moving right along.

Drums done on Tuesday, bass done on Thursday. Both Ric and Melanie sounded great. Tracking sax this coming Tuesday. Then I'll do guitars after that.

Even with scratch guitar and no sax, already sounding awesome.

I love my little digi 8 track. Once I clear some room on it we can record like this all the time.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

I have been spending some time with that egnator tweaker 15 amp. I wanted to run the 16ohm tap like the egnator 1x12 was, so I used the 12" from my kustom 30w combo in series with the 8" woofer from a 30w shit bass combo. I flipped the speaker outside the box and wired it reverse to increase the box volume and drop the resonance. this 2 speaker combo is loud as fuck haha. I have no relative comparison as to whether these speakers sound bad, but they sound pretty good to me.
the egnator 1x12 with that celestion sounded great, but not $250 great.

I went to egnator's website and looked at recommended tone settings. all of theirs have the bass turned up some or all the way. I was killing it with the tones flat. just switching between tone stacks still made obvious changes. This thing has separate Marshall, Fender and vox tone stacks.  
then there is a gain booster. with it off, the whole range is pretty low gain. my LP and its pickup hotness dig this. the LP just blows the little 2 tube greta away on the input. then to really get hi-gain, flip the switch and it has a range more like the greta. another switch to tighten up the sound by killing some bass, and other switches too like to put a subtle scoop on to make it sound bigger and so on.

then throw in the next variable: all my guitars sound totally different anyway, then this. i'll be busy for years.....

bottom line: this little shit is going to be a tough one to beat unless I need more sheer volume. i would like to play with a tiny terror now and put them both to the test.

edit: wish Schecter used that tube guide whammy rig that Suhr uses. i saw the demo. what a great whammy. those fucking guitars are not cheap so i want that whammy on my Schecter haha.

VOLVO)))

I don't understand why Suhr guitars are so expensive. I understand better material quality, but I know even the highest grades of wood don't take a four hundred dollar guitar and make it 2.5k. I know it's more than wood but realistically, im sure most people, if they were handed a suhr blindfolded, and a fender (set up properly,) they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

agent of change

Just spent most of the day tracking our first demo. 6 songs, about an hour of doom/sludge. Just a live room, one track guitar, one track bass, two tracks drums (from about 6 mikes). Two tracks of overdubbed vocals. We only paid $100 for about 9 hours. And unfortunately it sounds like it only cost $100. Hopefully a few hours of mixing will make it sound a little bigger. Right now it's kinda compressed.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

VOLVO)))

I always double track guitars and bass, and usually send guitars down 70/30 30/70, and send the bass about 15 right or left. Lotsa big

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

agent of change

Yeah, been thinking about doing another guitar track at least. Dollars versus sound quality.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

liquidsmoke

I was thinking about looking for plastic dummy plugs for pedalboard and amp inputs I'm not using to keep out dust and dirt and to eliminate the chances of me accidently plugging into them when I'm quickly setting up at gigs and then I thought, duh, put tape over them ya dingus. Any of you tape over your unused gear buttholes?

Lumpy

i don't, but I heard a pretty good idea for this (maybe here? Jibberish?): Use cheap foam earplugs. Maybe you can buy them in bulk?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

khoomeizhi

best price: walmart hunting section.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

jibberish

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 14, 2014, 12:49:28 AM
I was thinking about looking for plastic dummy plugs for pedalboard and amp inputs I'm not using to keep out dust and dirt and to eliminate the chances of me accidently plugging into them when I'm quickly setting up at gigs and then I thought, duh, put tape over them ya dingus. Any of you tape over your unused gear buttholes?

that wasn't my cool idea, but I definitely started the ball rolling talking about covering all my user surface gear with plastic, especially vertical mixer 1/4" jacks. they literally fill up with shit, like sticky dust and ....just no. haha

I bet there is some product from like office max that would be cheap and work great.
(my #1 go-to engineering trick is to see if someone already makes something close in another industry, saves mega time/$/R&D)

maybe push pins, some variation on the thumbtack, maybe just a hunk of Styrofoam packing. a stroll through the walmart toy dept after checking out the earplugs, maybe through automotive and the craft section too. never know what one could see that would be perfect.
goal: buy a bag of 100 of these whatevers for $1.79, once they are found heh.
cut off golf tees..that kind of thinking is good for plan B, but ready to use "as is", is the ultimate grail

edit: shit , I haven't actually tried a golf tee. it might go in and even lock in like a 1/4" jack does haha
I definitely have a bunch of RCA jack terminators for pre-amp out/power amp in terminators on preamps and receivers, so there is definitely something specifically for RCA jacks already.

VOLVO)))

You could also use 8th to quarter inch adapters.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

the diddler

First show with new drummer yesterday.  Killer.  3rd song into our set, a woman standing in front of the stage on my side goes into a seizure and pisses herself.  Gotta say, I've seen some shit over the years but that was freaky

Mr. Foxen

Pissing is the line between 'seizure' and 'getting funky'.

RAGER

Quote from: the diddler on April 14, 2014, 09:16:31 AM
First show with new drummer yesterday.  Killer.  3rd song into our set, a woman standing in front of the stage on my side goes into a seizure and pisses herself.  Gotta say, I've seen some shit over the years but that was freaky

Sounds like any given Sunday night at Satyricon back in the day. :P
No Focus Pocus

the diddler

Hah!  I almost punched Novoselic in the Satyricon bathroom.  I've regretted not doing that for years

RAGER

Had second jam with CL ad guy.  Better this time but still no real sparks.  He left his amp here so I guess I'm stuck giving it another try or two.  Maybe something will happen but I think I'm not quite ready to do a project with somebody just yet.
No Focus Pocus

the diddler