The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Got my Scroll back from the luthier and the trouble areas on the fretboard so far seem trouble free and I've got the action lower than before. Happy.

AgentofOblivion

Radio interview last night went pretty well I think.  The guy still has to chop it up and edit it together with our music to make the segment and it will start airing in 2 weeks.  Apparently airs 5 times a day for two weeks and is also hosted online along with a track of ours to download.  The guy could edit it to totally make us look like assholes if he felt so inclined, though I'm sure he won't.  But I can understand how famous people have been burned in the past by some interviewer trying to get a sexy headline.  It's really difficult to answer questions about why you're different and people should give you the time of day without kind of shitting on other bands.  For instance, you can paint yourself into a corner when saying we don't have screaming vocals because the more you talk the more it sounds like you think bands with screaming vocals are shitty.  It's a delicate balance to try to say something real without 1) offending others in the scene and 2) not sounding like a pompous prick that takes himself and his music too seriously. 

everdrone

AgentofOblivion, your music sounds great!  just keep talking about the aspects of the music that you dig, what you grew up on, and funny stuff that happened along the way.  the interviewer understands that we are insane hobbyists without us telling him :)

justJon

Set up and sat down behind the drum kit for the first time in nearly two (?!?!) years! Really rusty, but not as bad as I expected.
The snare drum is not sounding like it does in my head. And the head does not feel like it's going to explode. Baby steps, but steps!
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: justJon on March 21, 2014, 08:43:22 PM
Set up and sat down behind the drum kit for the first time in nearly two (?!?!) years! Really rusty, but not as bad as I expected.
The snare drum is not sounding like it does in my head. And the head does not feel like it's going to explode. Baby steps, but steps!

Can't express how happy this makes me.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Danny G

Good to have you back behind a kit, Jon \m/,

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

eyeprod

CV - Slender Fungus

everdrone

cool!  I recall your posts back when.  You stopped playing drums because of indescribable pain.  Did you figure out what it was and how to recouperate?  If so what did you do?  Maybe just rest, excercise, stretching and eating more/better?

Congrats, keep rocking out!!!

Lumpy

+1 great news.

If you can play music, you win.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Goddamn it that makes me happy.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justJon

Quote from: everdrone on March 22, 2014, 01:43:20 AM
cool!  I recall your posts back when.  You stopped playing drums because of indescribable pain.  Did you figure out what it was and how to recouperate?  If so what did you do?  Maybe just rest, excercise, stretching and eating more/better?

A little of all the above.

I have been diagnosed with Gulf War Syndrome, Spectrum II, which basically means, "We don't know what it is, but we're pretty sure it was caused by/while you were in the sandbox, so..."

Definitive "conventional" treatment is uncomfortably large doses of opiate painkillers. I'm taking those, but at a much lower rate than prescribed, 'cause the prescribed levels turn me into a Zombie. Lower levels take the edge off, and with acupuncture, yoga, Zazen, and just running/exercising out in the world, along with not eating out of frustration/boredom, etc, it takes the pain down most of the rest of the way, and I've even lost a couple inches around the middle.

Biggest progress though is being able to play, and even attend heavy shows. Even saw Spirit Caravan last week!

everdrone

cool brutha, I am glad you got the help you needed. I saw Spirit Caravan last week too!  Wino is in full force :)

Instant Dan

Just ordered a P-90 set from Wolfetone for my SG along with a new pick guard.

Lots of gear revamps coming up. New amp in the near future.

mutantcolors

I'm joining or talking about joining all these bands out of nowhere, got a gig on bass, one on guitar, a collaboration for which I'm gonna program drums, might even sit behind the kit again in a forth band.

Also the bass rig I just finished off with a 2x15 the other week is Vhol's backline tonight. Good way to catch a show for free.

justJon

^^^Just based on that rig, you can be in my band!^^^

mutantcolors

I dig it amigo, it's a rocking fuckin' combination. The natural distortion of those old Acoustics is better than some tube amps.

mutantcolors

Oh, I also stood directly in front of Eagle Twin last night. Holy fucking shit.

And I thought Yob was heavy.

VOLVO)))

Eagle Twin is subsonic heavy. His guitar tone is so well crafted it hurts.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

good news justjon. glad you are back.

I am so sick of construction already on the music room.  the problem is that I am getting busy as hell with the rest of life and I look at the shit and I just don't want to hit it. so close....

at least with all the unplugged guitar practice I have been doing while my whole setup is essentially down, I have hit a new skill level.
those are always awesome because then I can do more different things that I couldn't before.

edit: I just installed a lighted doorbell switch in my guitar. then I cut some eyeholes out of an old bait bucket. then I hit the road as a virtuoso guitarist that dances like a slow motion epileptic seizure. then I named myself pailface. then I went viral.
then I died of aids
thee end.

everdrone

I have been practicing using fretlight video lessons, but I recently stopped that

now I am using guitarpro6 to learn 12 songs for a cover band audition :)

Lumpy

Are those good ways to learn guitar?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

everdrone

yes!  each person has a different opinion, but they work great for me.  guitarpro6 is like playing with the band as the tab appears (if you can find the tab to download)

fretlight speeds things up for me

I download tab from here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

guitarpro6 is like this demo here, with fretlight the finger positions turn the lights on your guitar, it is legit and it works! RE:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/black_sabbath/nib_ver2_guitar_pro.htm

Corey Y

Quote from: justJon on March 21, 2014, 08:43:22 PM

Really glad to read this man, hopefully playing music will add its own therapeutic effect too. Emotionally, if nothing else.

Omlet

It's fucking extremely hard to find people to play sludge doom here in northern Poland. And it sucks. All kids just want to play thrash or death metal, moreover I don't know almost anyone who is still playing any instrument. And the remaining ones are rather not interested. Or I am not interested in playing with some of them.

Life sucks.