The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

^ Always a good realization.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on February 13, 2014, 03:22:12 AM
You need to test out mixes on different systems. If a mix sounds good on studio monitors but not on a stereo system, do it again. Or you can just say "fuck regular people" and leave as is.

A pair of speakers from a cheap 20 year old stereo system would be more useful to me.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: BrianDamage on February 13, 2014, 10:06:22 AM
It took me a long time to realize that what sounded good when playing by myself usually caused my tone to get buried in a full volume band setting and what sounded good with the band sounded like shit by itself. Recording is a totally different story though.

I agree.

JemDooM

Loads of really interesting points here!

Damn right about listening to mixes on loads of systems, I also think it's good to take breaks, and listen to a mix over weeks, different systems and time really help to bring out those gremlins!
DooM!

RacerX

hm. I'd never even heard of a Gibson Corvus before...

Livin' The Life.

Jake

Oh my. That's a face only a mother could love. If she was blind. And gave birth to musical instruments.
poop.

RacerX

Supposedly, it looks like a crow in flight—Corvus being the genus containing crows, ravens & such.

I don't see it.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

I dig it but would be surprised if it isn't neck heavy.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

The SoundTech PS802 power amp sounds pretty good with the Rock Master although when it gets close to practice level volume the peak indicator light starts flashing, first when palm muting.

Hopefully the double covers my own frustration as well as the annoyance of those of you who still sometimes read my relentlessly clueless posts about gear.

As is said with motorcycles, there is really no replacement for displacement(not completely true but..). I need 4x12s if I don't want to completely neuter my tone. I do wonder what two 4x10s would sound like though. I want them anyway for my 2 piece idea and they are sometimes really really cheap used, at least for low end units.

edit: kind of wondering how often my Fender Rumble was clipping and if that was doing any damage to my speakers

Danny G

Ok the good news is the sax player for Ocean of Stars will be returning to Austin the same time I get back from a string of shows across the Gulf coast, and will be here for SXSW.

The bad news is he is coming back because his mom passed.

Love, light and good vibes to him and his family.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

deleted account

did this for the first time last nite:

mortlock

you dropped your cymbal stand??

mutantcolors

Quote from: liquidsmoke on February 13, 2014, 03:29:58 PM
I do wonder what two 4x10s would sound like though.

Jesus Christ dude. Stop thinking so hard and try out a fucking 4x12.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mutantcolors on February 13, 2014, 11:59:47 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on February 13, 2014, 03:29:58 PM
I do wonder what two 4x10s would sound like though.

Jesus Christ dude. Stop thinking so hard and try out a fucking 4x12.

I have one. It's carpeted and older and the speakers are blank but a faded sticker on the back says it's 300 watts. If that is true the speakers are 75 watters, no idea how efficient they are though. It will not fit in my car upright. I used it with my first 2x12 for awhile because it's also 8 ohms but I'm not sure that was that much louder than the two 2x12s.

I'm sorry to upset you.

mutantcolors

I am god damn furious, make no mistake. There will be blood.

liquidsmoke

How's about we have a beard off?

deleted account

Quote from: mortlock on February 13, 2014, 10:59:11 PM
you dropped your cymbal stand??

broke it playing normally, cymbal's fine.  had that stand for like 10 years.  been going with all rides since summer so maybe that had something to do with it

RacerX

Are you playing Metal now?

If so, maybe it had Metal fatigue.

Livin' The Life.

deleted account

RacerX

Nice Holdworth reference!

Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

After some tone tweaking I think this power amp might be loud enough as I think I've got the balancing act between thunder and neuter figured out  :)

If I'm complaining in a few weeks one of you can come to Madison and I'll let you slap me really hard in the face 10 times.

VOLVO)))

Looking forward to that, now. :-)
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

You should be the one. You can do some fret work on my Scroll while you're up here right? Bring your tools.

VOLVO)))

Is it really that bad? Pay the postage. Ill see what I can do for it, ugh.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.